OT--You Know You Don't Live In California When...

Page 3 of 5

Well for one there are no alligators in Southern Africa, crocodiles yes but they do not look like that and there are no rattlers here either. No oil pipeline either. There was talk of a gas line though. Somebody has their wires / facts crossed.
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Well for one there are no alligators in Southern Africa, crocodiles yes but they do not look like that and there are no rattlers here either. No oil pipeline either. There was talk of a gas line though. Somebody has their wires / facts crossed.
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions
Jeez! My wife told me that humor was in short supply in CA. You must be suffering from "Rolling Laughouts"!
I think there is only one quality worse than hardness of heart and that is
See my previous responses with regards to humor. I've got lots of humor. But I'm also very proud of the greatest state in the Union and I'm tired of seeing it bad-mouthed under the guise of a joke. Why don't you tell some ethnic jokes, Bill. C'mon, it's just in fun, right? I'll be you can think of all sorts of stereotypes that will be a barrel of laughs. Can't see anything going wrong with that.
Bruce Redding, Ca.

be
I realize it's all in fun (that's why I posted in a humorous manner), but the poster evidently doesn't. And what does this have to do with ethnic jokes?
I think there is only one quality worse than hardness of heart and that is

Study history... California is often a joke. More than once a year, in my experience.
And I'm not even a 'Murrican!
And, I visit California about once a year!
And I have lots of Californians I count as friends!
But it's a wacky state, and deserves to be made fun of, just about as much as Wisconsin.
"Oh dadee-oh, you guys are so CRAZEE!"
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

But in Wisconsin we can laugh at ourselves.
We once had a Governor who suggested that our license plates should say "Eat Cheese or Die".
Ron Bean notes:

That must have been about the time I lived there. But if he'd been PC, he'd have admitted, "Eat Cheese & Die" was more truthful.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

"Mortality rate for non-cheese-eaters: 100%"

Ummm.... that would be Michigan, actually, not California. :-)

See, you do have a sense of humor after all. Ed
Hey, Bruce, first of all, lighten up.
Next, you got nothing on me, I live in New Jersey, the "original" butt of all state jokes. "Oh, you live in Joisey, what Exit?" Or the environmental jokes "the Meadowlands, yeah, I've seen it, it glows in the dark." I got over it.
As a matter of fact, while NJ is the most densely populated state in the union, has the most Superfund sites per capita, has a section of Middlesex County known as "cancer alley" and has auto insurance rates which would curl your hair, believe it or not it also has native trout streams, farms, and a wonderful rural character (Northwest NJ, Sussex, Warren counties; the Pine Barrens) and some of the nicest beaches around (albeit crowded at times), and I can still drive for two hours and get my rough sawn hardwood from mills in eastern PA for prices equal to or cheaper than what I paid in western North Carolina when I lived in Charlotte.
And, I voluntairly moved back to NJ from Charlotte, which to a lot of folks is the promised land, but I found it stiflingly hot, crowded, expensive (yes, in a relative sense) and gastronomically ethnically challenged (i.e., you can't get a good pizza in the whole of Mecklenberg County).
So, get over it. Mutt

(Mutt) wrote:

Which continues....
"The one next to the chemical plant." "Which one?" "The one that caught fire last week." "Which one?"
Doug Miller wrote:

Q: Why did Washington get all the lawyers and New Jersey all the toxic waste? A: New Jersey got first dibbs.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Mutt notes:

Still? When I first moved to VA, you couldn't get a decent pizza south of Fort Lee, really, but that was a long time ago (and yes, the Ft. Lee I mean is in NJ: I'm a New Yorker).
Now, the pizza even in central VA is pretty good, some even good (or my taste buds have gone to pot along with the rest of my body). You can't do much in Thai food, or even real Japanese food, but, IMHO, who wants to anyway?
If I weren't too lazy, I'd do a living cost comparison check on Lynchburg, VA and Charlotte, NC. That will definitely show your theory of relativity is true. But I am too lazy.
Not really. Living costs in Charlotte are 114% of what they are in Lynchburg. I'm astounded they're that close.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
Greatest state in the union? I thought the subject was California.

But I'm also very proud of

...when you don't get this old chestnut:
A Texan, a Californian and an Oregonian were sitting around drinking.The Texan finished his tequila, through the bottle in the air and shot it. "Why'd you do that?" asked the Californian? "Aw, there's lots more tequila bottles where that came from," was the reply. The Californian finished his white wine, through the bottle in the air and shot it. "Why'd you do that?" asked the Oregonian. "California is awash in wine bottles," he answered. The Oregonian finished his Blitz-Weinhard and shot the Californian."Why'd you do that?" asked the Texan. "Oregon's full of Californians,but that bottle's worth a nickel."
-Derek

Nope, that one won't work, more than a few residents of those two cities would fail the test too.

Dang, I though it was Texans that claimed the biggest and bestest of everything.

Right, California is the main gathering place for freaks.

Maybe because California *isn't* more beautiful than, oh, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Colorado, Wyoming, Washington state or Alaska, just to name a few.
Which reminds me: "You might be from California if: You think it's better than most the rest of the country."
Bruce wrote...

Ahem. I think Alaska might be a candidate for most geographical variety. It covers six climactic zones, IIRC. Maybe seven.

Fact? I thought Arnie was a bodybuilder and actor. He knows how to fight, too?

Hey, we'd move there, too, if there weren't so many other people with the same idea. (G)
Jim who appreciates the climate of his Southern Arizona, but likes that of SoCal even more.

Hmmmmmm.
Well, I've lived in two other states (Ahiyah, Northern Virginia), been to all but Alaska, and I'd say this is still home. I gotta admit, the traffic here in L.A. is getting downright ugly. Causes a feller to become resourceful when picking his way home through the daily gauntlet.
Some of my observations after four decades living here...
Most of California is farms, mountains, hills, deserts, lakes, chapparal and coastline. There are about 8,000 lakes, most of them inaccessible by road. It is home to the largest palm oasis in this hemisphere - I'd bet most people in this state don't even know that. Most of California could be mistaken for Oregon, Mexico, Colorado, Alaska, Nebraska or Nevada, if you wandered outside of L.A. or San Francisco. Matter of fact, there's good reason to believe that Bakersfield is just a chunk of Oklahoma that broke off and popped up a-straddle of state route 99. As much as I loath the traffic in S.F., there isn't a much more picturesque view of a city, as the view of San Francisco from the Marin Headlands. Oh yeah, there's a bridge obstructing the view a little bit.
http://www.pbase.com/image/20595697
It's a nice place to visit :).
I guess what I like about "home," is that it's all here, from Hollywood to the ghost towns, from Disneyland to sleepy little beach towns like Encinitas. Why, we even have our own NASCAR track.
I don't mind the stereotypes... I mean, there's a reason some of my friends refer to me as "O'Dude."
I'm outty.
O'Deen