OT--You Know You Don't Live In California When...

Page 2 of 5
Dave Hall responds:

And it's a joke that sent Gov. Weasel into fits a couple weeks ago when it turned up on Abercrombie & Fitch T shirts. He screamed so loud about it, that the wind from the publicity sold tht printing out before A&F could even respond about whether or not they'd pull the offending clothing from the shelves. The store in Charleston (Capital of WV for the great unwashed out there) sold out before any others.
West Virginians can take a joke even if their governor can't.
And that's from someone who would one helluva lot rather be someplace else, and soon!
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

Yeah, Charlie, can't you just see how apoplectic Bruce would have gotten over a T-shirt like that about CA? Hell, he about popped a vein over a newsgroup posting ;)
Dave Hall
The difference is, California deserves it.

NURSE!
I grew up in Riverside, California but moved in 1995 to Michigan when I was fifteen because of my Mother's health problems, which were in large part caused by the smog. The main response I hear from people after I tell them that I moved from California is "Why would you want to do that?". Of course, there's always the completely idiotic, "I have a friend/relative that lives in California, do you know him?" I still miss some things about California and a lot of the things that you listed. I guess the thing I miss the most about California is the mountains. However, I don't think I would want to move back to California if given the chance because of the smog, gangs, traffic, allergies, wall-to-wall cities and dry, dead landscape. I've been living in the Detroit Metro area for the past year and before that I was going to school for five years in Houghton, MI (in the U.P.). The Detroit suburbs remind me a lot of California, except for the significantly lower amount of import automobiles :-)
P.S. One thing I hate about Michigan is the people that refer to California as "Cali". They hear it once in a rap song and suddenly they're hip enough to repeat it endlessly. Also, my dad is convinced that there are more morons per capita in Michigan than California, and he refers to them as "Mich-a-tards"
Greg M

Southern California has very little to do with the majority of the state. There's no smog problem where I live and the same can be said with the majority of the state. At least no more than around any other part of the country. Ever been to Denver? The same goes for the crime/gang problem. Gangs aren't a problem except in the major metro areas and that would apply to *any* state. I lived in Portland, Or. for a few years. I moved because I got sick of the gangs. What do you mean by wall-to-wall cities? Did you ever leave Southern California? Really. That's the only part of the state that's really like that more than any other state and that's mostly just the L.A. area. The S.F. Bay Area is congested too but not as much as many areas on the East Coast. Between that is lots of wide open spaces. Dry, dead landscape??? This confirms that all you know is the far southern portion of the state. The majority of the state is green, either from trees or crops.
Bruce Redding, Ca.

[snip]

Makes *me* wonder if *you* have ever been outside SoCal...

To any Midwesterner, the Bay Area is indeed "wall-to-wall cities". It may not be as bad as parts of the East Coast, but it's still waaaaay more congested than anywhere in the Midwest (with the possible exception of Chicago).
Doug Miller wrote:

My last trip to San Jose was like a weird, irrational dream. Rent for an unfurnished one-bedroom apartment ran over $2K/month. The City of San Jose was having trouble hiring police, firemen, and teachers because the salary scales didn't permit these people to actually reside in San Jose. The Mercury printed a full-page picture of a tiny bungalow with the caption: "You always wanted a million dollar estate - you just figured it would have more than 700 square feet." I still have that page somewhere.
Even the eco-freaks drive gas guzzling SUV's. San Jose's example-setting mayor had to buy a brand new Blazer to drive the couple of blocks from his home to his office. I'm guessing that he thought he'd wake up some morning and need 4WD to get over all the boulders he'd find littering the street.
From my location I had to travel on an eight-lane expressway to get to the local barber shop. My neighbors thought that was pretty much normal!
Ditto the grocery stores; and when I got there I found produce that no Iowa farmer would feed to pigs. I found myself buying frozen vegetables (imported from Mexico). Not sure why, but I did expect high-quality produce in (from) California.
And the thing that has always amazed me (and most of the midwesterners I know) is how Californians seem unable to distinguish between celebrity and intelligence, wisdom, or technical competance. I know for a fact that California has no shortage of really bright people - so why?
It's the only place I've ever been where a public utility (and politicians) could get away with ripping off their customers/constituants for billions (thousands of millions) of dollars just by shutting down portions of the power grid at intervals. [And although my account was paid in full, PG&E never did return my several hunderd dollar deposit.]
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

I agree with Bruce that Southern California (Los Angeles and parts south) is what an awful lot of people think of when the subject of California arises. I know that I do. And I further agree that Northern California is a world apart from the southern part of the state. There is much the same dichotomy in Louisiana. North of Baton Rouge is a totally different place than Southern Louisiana. There is actually some dry ground up near Shreveport. I know there is, because I saw it! (Neither half of Louisiana is habitable during the summer, but that's a different story.)
I was in Southern California (San Diego and Camp Pendleton) for a while before boarding a troop ship and heading for the setting sun. It could very well be that association which causes me to say that I left nothing in California that I want to go back for. But, at the same time, the most beautiful sight I've ever seen is that selfsame California - the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco as seen from the deck of a returning troop ship. And, I'm sure that circumstance affected the beauty in the observation. The point is that most frequently what people find in a place is what they bring with them.
I think that what it boils down to is that "Home" is the prettiest, best, ... , etc. regardless of where it might be physically located. I've been in Wichita, Kansas for about the last 30 years. It is "Home" and, as a result, I'm sort of partial to this area. Oh, no one will ever make any money running an Alpine Ski resort anywhere near here, and some folks might even think that the miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles verge on being monotonous. Yet, there is beauty in the Flint Hills and the Gyp Hills and the "Amber Waves of Grain", and everywhere else, in this state as in all states of the Union. But, you have to open your eyes and look outside yourself to see it.
Now, where do I turn in the soapbox?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

<snip>

Tom,
Yours is the most intelligent post in this entire thread. You live where you choose to live and, thusly, don't feel compelled to deride others' choices of home. What matters is that your home is the best place for *you*. As a native Midwesterner who has spent the last 19 years in SoCal, I found Bob's original posts to be pretty entertaining. Many of the items about CA are funny because there is some truth to them. But those things don't stop thousands of people from moving here each year, so SoCal must have something to offer in their eyes. Every American is entitled to live where they choose. Those who spend their energy grumbling about how awful it is to live elsewhere probably aren't very secure with their own choice.

Nah, you should keep that soapbox and use it more often.
Cheers, Mike - N. SD County
MTU, eh? Why did you leave da UP?
I spent time in Marysville, and it got so bad that you had to have a group to camp out or risk the freaks even in the mountains. For my money, it's still granola land.
Oh yeah, born a troll - Joy and Telegraph....
I've been

Yeah, I loved the U.P. and MTU, unfortunately I wanted to get a job after I graduated, so I moved back down state. One of the most telling differences between when I lived in SOUTHERN California and in the U.P. is that in the U.P. I *never* locked the door to the house I was living in. I didn't even have a key because we had one key and there will 3 people living there. When we would leave for breaks the last person would lock the door and leave the key on the porch so the first person back could get in. I *never* worried about anything getting stolen either. Hell, when I lived in SOUTHERN California you couldn't go into a gas station for 30 seconds and leave your bike unlocked without the possibility of it getting ripped off.
Yes, I lived in SOUTHERN California but we had plenty vacations to Northern California when I was growing up. I never stayed long enough to get attached to any of the northern areas but I can say that Northern and Southern California are almost like completely different states. So, whenever I think of California, I think of SOUTHERN California because that is where I lived. Even so, I still prefer the Midwest, people just seem to be more laid back. When I moved to Michigan I was amazed by how blue the skies were all the time, how clean the bathrooms were at my High School, and that my High School was surrounded by an orchard and cows even though downtown Grand Rapids was only about 10 miles away. That's what I mean about wall-to-wall cities. In SOUTHERN California you drive from city to city to city with no space in between. On the other hand, in Michigan once you get out of Grand Rapids you have to drive 30 or more miles to get to Cadillac, Holland, or Kalamazoo and those cities aren't even that big.
Greg M

I've lived overseas in 4 countries for a total of 10 years and have lived in 6 states and been through about 1/2 the others. I'll take CA over anywhere else, thank you very much. The weather is great, humidity is low, the temperatures in San Jose are usually pleasant year round, and earth quakes aren't that big deal that they are cracked up to be. At least not in the 34 years I've been here.
On the downside, taxes and expenses are pretty high, but I've got Prop 13 tax coverage on my home, so I'm immune to real estate tax increases until I move. Traffic can be lousy in other parts of the country too, so I don't count traffic as a big negative like some here do. Now if folks would just speak English a bit more when out in public, I wouldn't feel like I live in a foreign country...:) And getting the order taker at fast food establishments to understand MY English is problematic.
We've got Arnold, the ocean, FLAT bike trails, mountains, skiing, blue sky all summer, no mosquitos. If you want heat, we've got Redding, Palm Springs, Livermore, Sacramento. If you want cool we've got San Diego, Santa Cruz, San Francisco.
Lakes? Clear Lake, Shasta (for the house boat set), Tahoe.
But I must admit there's no bargains on wood. (Maybe I should chuck it all and move to W.V.) :)
dave
Bruce wrote:

You forgot one .... Standing in Line... I was at Fryes in Fremont last month and the line was 100 deep. My god, are people that programmed in Bay Area to stand in lines like that?
Rich

the Fremont store is busy, busy, busy. I hate Fry's anyway! :) But I go to the Hamilton Ave. store when I can't what I want elsewhere.
I got right in at 5 PM tonight at Cheesecake factory at the new Oakridge Mall. How's that for luck. We usually walk in and walk out because the wait is so long.
dave
RKON wrote:

And that's why your blood sugar spiked, right?
Speaking as the spouse of a diabetic (type 2), I'm beginning to share the problems with sleep habits, etc.
Take care of yourself.
Patriarch
I ate all the things I shouldn't have: Philly cheese steak sandwich, fries, and a monster desert. I was doing fine for about 5 hours, then it started to rise. I stayed up until I knew it wouldn't go any higher, around 2:30 AM.
thanks!
dave
patriarch wrote:

Mon, Apr 5, 2004, 9:42am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Bruce) Heya all, You know you *don't* live in California when... <snip>
When you have friendly wildlife like this: http://community-2.webtv.net/karenlprince/AMUSTSEE/index.html You see non-plastic women:
http://priceless420.com/pr033104stockyard.jpg
And, you can never find a McDonalds when you want one:
http://www-new.latinosandmedia.org/jawards/works/images/LAT83_004_09.jpg
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.
(Bruce) Heya all, You know you *don't* live in California when... <snip>
When you have friendly wildlife like this: http://community-2.webtv.net/karenlprince/AMUSTSEE/index.html
'S' funny, I got exactly the same pics from a friend in OZ, claiming they were about an oil pipeline being built from Mozambique to Sasolburg, alongside the National Road to Komatipoort.
Who knows?
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving