OT:Xmas lights with style

Got this off another board. I thought it was brilliant and so decided to spread the word.
http://media.engadget.com/videos/lights.wmv

What an EE and family do with too much free time?
Bet they had a lot of fun setting that up before they hung the lights.
Even if it's fake, it's beautiful animation.

This great display has been the topic on several boards recently. It is indeed a real display, the technical information has been posted on several sites, including the programming code need to run the many lighting controllers. It's in Mason, Ohio as I recall.
Dennis
snipped-for-privacy@SPAMwowway.com (DT) wrote:
[snipped for brevitirisationing]

With the 'instant on' LED's and their low power consumption, the task is much less daunting than it appears.
Cool and cute----------> once!
He has another song out on the net called jingle.wmv. It's more in line with Christmas, but not as visually spectacular. I'm just glad that I don't live across the street from him (although if I did I would likely have helped him build it). It's fun to watch ----once.
--
Charley

"Robatoy" < snipped-for-privacy@BULLtopworks.ca> wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:

Yeah, don't think I'd want to live across the street from that...<G>
Jon
snipped-for-privacy@SPAMwowway.com (DT) wrote:

That's not too far away. I might go take a look for myself.
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 14:53:23 GMT, the renowned John Husvar

Too late, it was shut down indefinitely as of yesterday, due to all the traffic congestion it was causing.
http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?SB11867
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

From the looks of it, I'd say the EE in question spent some time in a video editing suite. Yeah, those are real lights, but look at how the shadows in the foreground change - that isn't all one take.

It's real images but I think the timing was faked to fit the music. Nicely done, though.
Dave Hinz wrote:

the music is broadcast through low powered FM, so as not to annoy the neighbors with sound (as if the lights and traffic weren't enough!). anyway, the guy shut down because of an accident and traffic congestion.
Dave
On 12/7/2005 11:14 AM Dave Hinz mumbled something about the following:

It's real, timing is not faked.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/xmaslights.asp
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
leonard wrote:

He transmits the sound over low power FM. Google "Carson Williams".
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Hey, is that John Tesh?? Tom
tom wrote:

No, Trans Siberia Orchestra.
-jav
Oh, good. I can't stand John Tesh. Tom

That is the kind of thing to bring back neighborhood lynchings!!