OT - Worth a read ... then cry.

Page 1 of 2
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/26793903/the_big_takeover

Sounds like what you and I were talking about last night. The majority of our population has become too stupid to know any better and one party is dependent on that stupidity for it's voter base. The other party is headed in the same direction. Let any one vote, especially those that simply exist, don't contribute their share, no longer have or never have had any thing to loose, and of course let's not leave out non-citizens. The type of person that wants the government to provide more and more financial help to their kind.
These type of people have finally become the majority in our government. They are neither wise, ethical, or capable of following through with commitment, they are simply influential with false hope and promises aimed at the gullible.

A direct quote from the editorial is quite revealing as to the honour among the congress and/or senate:
"In 1997 and 1998, the years leading up to the passage of Phil Gramm's fateful act that gutted Glass-Steagall, the banking, brokerage and insurance industries spent $350 million on political contributions and lobbying. Gramm alone - then the chairman of the Senate Banking Committee - collected $2.6 million in only five years. The law passed 90-8 in the Senate, with the support of 38 Democrats, including some names that might surprise you: Joe Biden, John Kerry, Tom Daschle, Dick Durbin, even John Edwards."
Is it not amazing just how many of the NOT I crowd are included. Just note how much Gramm got for what he did. A serious look into the passage of this bill will result in noting the bill actually passed 54-44.
P D Q
Leon wrote:

Don't forget that one of the parties is big on letting those who don't exist, or no longer exist vote as well.

Early in the Republic, one had to be a landowner or businessman to vote. That's not a bad idea when you look at where we have gone since the idea that everyone over 18 who can fog a mirror (above mentioned Dem voters exempted) can and should vote. If they can't get to the polls, a bus and a pack of cigarettes will be provided

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

If it were up to me, the ONLY people who would be allowed to vote in a republic would be those who own property, and those who have served their country.
I have been of the opinion that going back to that principle, along with prohibiting products of a law school curriculum (where the distinction between morality and legality is blurred) from serving in the legislative branch of government, is most likely be the only way the republic can ever be saved.
Too bad it won't happen. Pandora's box, and all that ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

That's a nice start but does nothing to stop those who are motivated/ driven by the granddaddy of destructive power of all: greed.

Well, you do what you can ... execute the rest.
Yep, I'm so fed up with the situation that henceforth I'm looking over Attila the Hun's right shoulder ... and make no apologies for it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I usually stay out of these discussions (nobody changes anybody else's mind in politics), but I've been looking lately at an alternative: the GOOOH party. It's an acronym: Get Out Of Our House. Worth a look for those (like me) who are just disgusted with the whole friggin' system.
Phil

'Nam. Bush had...Daddy.

So, if you can't vote, you can't hold office ... Duh!
Problem solved ...
GW was in the Guard. But it would have disqualified Slick, and confirmed Jimmy.

SnA Higgins wrote:

possible.

I ran across this from another source. It's a grim indictment of how low our greedy system has sunk, the end result of how deregulation, started in the sainted Reagan years, has corrupted our govt almost beyond salvation. Our system is a two party system in name only, the corruption and greed no longer recognizing any party boundries. It's been going on since the savings and loan debacle and shows no signs of letting up. Will Obama do anything? Apparently yes.... sell out our economic future even faster than the last dirtbag. With any luck, I'll die of old age before the US becomes the next UK, a sad forgotten footnote in history.
nb

This is where the left and right could get together easily. Get rid of nonsensical regulations, but really, really punish wrongdoers.
little beef: My lab is near one nd of a corridor of maybe 100 feet. There are labs at both ends of the corridor, but most at the end where I am. The building dates from the early 50's. There is 1 (ONE) emergency shower on the corridor. Yesterday 2 people came by to inquire about that (they knew or should have known that there was only one). In the 30 odd years I have been there the shower has never been used (thank god) or even tested. Now there would have to be more showers? When we are not working with flammable solvents anymore?
--
Best regards
Han

Unfortunately with the dumb down society that is coming on strong there probably will be a need for more showers.
We had one in the middle of a wall that had Electronic machines - e.g. like computers that would the array be larger than most homes.
High current power mains all over the place and a shower head and eye wash right there.
The company put it there and not in the coffee room within 20 feet.
The rationale was if it was needed - who cares if someone had to clean up.
There were soldering stations and chemical use on the floor.
Sometimes it is the hair spray in the eyes that can cause someone to fall down stairs....
Martin
Han wrote:

At 63, I was pretty sure I would. My guess was 30 to 50 years for China to take over. Now, I think it can happen in the next few years if we are not very careful.

Agreed, Ed. It's jes pathetic. I'm sitting here with mom watching another red herring half century old tv rendition of the attack on Pearl Harbor while our country devolves into chaos. HELLO!! The robber barons are back. How long before we wake up? What's the adage?: those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. The "babyboom" generation has the memory of a 60s drug hippie.
nb
notbob wrote:

Wow, past the "It's all Bush's fault" to "It's all Reagan's fault" now? Unfortunately, the fact is that Reagan's comment about the government being the problem and not the solution is even more true now than it was in his day. Were it not for all the congresscritters and their minions in Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and using the CRA to assert that "everybody deserves a house", the present mess would not be what it is.

Comments are not the same as policy.
nb