OT: World's biggest Photovoltaic farm in Sarnia

Page 2 of 3
On Oct 25, 6:24pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Speaking from the banana belt of the Yukon, if you're interested in comparing the weather of Canadian cities, go to the Weather Winners web site:
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/winners/intro_e.html
Lots of coo stuff there. Sarnia gets 125cm of snow while Stratford get 244cm.
Note that Whitehorse is among the cities with the most comfortable weather and the driest, while Sarnia is the second most humid city in Canada after its neighbour Windsor.
Luigi
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:24:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It's the average according to the stats I read at Weather.com. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/statistics/precipitation/cl6127514

OK, it may be, kiddingly, called that by you frozen northerners, and only as a comparison to the double-digit sub-zero temps the rest of the country has in the winter.
But show me a growing banana tree anywhere in Sarnia, in the open and without winter greenhousing, and I'll buy you a brand spankin' new 5x30 domino biscuit for your very own.
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Banana BELT, silly. we buy bananas and weave belts from driend banana skins...shheeesh!

In that order.
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:45:16 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Man, I just can't wrap my head around bananas and beer, eh, hoser?

Not quite, Lefty.
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:17:01 -0700, Larry Jaques

The only part of the chart that really means anything is the mean daily and median daily snow depth - given in CM. That is 8 and 9 cm in Jan and Feb,4 in Dec, and 2 in March. 2.5cm is one inch, so Ontario's Banana belt has, on the ground, a "mean average" of just over 3 inches of snow on the ground in the snowiest months of Jan and Feb.
On Oct 26, 8:09pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

...and that usually comes in one load.
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:20:45 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

And that's a light snow in Kitchener/waterloo, and a "dusting" in Stratford. (or Chesley/Hanover/ Mt Forest/ Molesworth area)
Some days, on this mountain, the snowplow comes three times on our dead-end little back street.
I am having culture shock from KW area.
And that's a light snow in Kitchener/waterloo, and a "dusting" in Stratford. (or Chesley/Hanover/ Mt Forest/ Molesworth area)

Where are you now??
Base of Bruce Penn.

Nope. Georgian Bay on a mountain.
Was Wloo. and then Kit.
I am impressed with the snow removal. It frightened us hearing about the amounts due to living in Kit and the residents to snowblow our own street, almost every time.
Coming back from Mexico after a storm a few years back I found large freshly plough snow banks all the way from hamilton aeroport. (another Canuck word we made up...LOL) my street was snowed in and I rammed it only to walk the rest of the street at 4:00 am.
well! CAA won't come and tow you "'cause they might get stuck" until the snowplow comes. The city snowplough won't come until all the cars are off the road. The neighbours blew the whole street and started a trend. I see the plough here more in two days than I did for the whole winter, there. Trouble is I hate starting up the blower three times per day sometimes..GRRRRRRR. Time to retire so I don't have to make up excuses. Work would never believe it...LOL
Wiarton, Oliphant area?
Friend's cottage up there - a couple years ago we got snowed in for 3 days.
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:09:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Huh? Monthly data shows 32,26,19,5,0,0,0,0,0,2,10,30, or 124cm. 1240mm/25.4 = 48.8189 inches per year as an average snowfall in Sarnia. 49 inches of snow does not a banana belt make.
Literal mode off, I understand that it's your comparative nickname for the place, OK?
No biscuit for you!
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:23:42 -0700, Larry Jaques

OK - look at the average temperature - and just think what happens to snow when it is above zero - or even when it IS zero with strong sunlight. 20 out of 30 days have measurable bright sunshine according to the same site.
And I don't have to go by the weather channel. I live in southwestern Ontario, and used to have to drive to Sarnia/Windsor?Leamington as well as London/Stratford/Mitchell and Chesley/Hanover/Mt Forest from my home in Kitchener/Waterloo/Elmira area.
Not out of the ordinary 2 or 3 days after a "heavy snow" in the sarnia/windsor/leamington area to have virtually no snow on the ground. Wife grew up down there. I remember times when there were snow drifts over the roof of the Toyota dealership in Stratford - the guys would park their snowmobiles on the roof a week after a storm. To the Waterloo side of Elmira we get off pretty easy, most of the time, but just to the west, out towards Listowel, it is often a different story.
Within 6 miles of the lakes the snow is also pretty light, generally speaking -but it dumps pretty heavy by about Wingham, Ripley,Bluevale areas.
The weather up here, below the 49th, can be really strange.
Sarnia is farther south than all of New England, virtually all of New York, Chicago, and virtually all of Oregon, South Dakota, and Wyoming. and all of France and Romania. Nestled between the lakes it is almost mediteranean.
In the summer the humidity, along with temps in the high 30s C (90sF) yeilds Humidex ratings approaching 120F.
More important for a solar installation, look at the hours of bright sunshine. The same phenomenon that keeps most of the snow in 6 miles or so gives the "sunparlour" area some of the longest stretches of clear sunny weather in the province.(summer and winter).
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:49:02 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I get it. Sarnia is the "Vista" of the GWN.

A friend of mine lived in Philly and traveled up to Canada often. He'd be driving in sunny weather when he hit Buffalo and the lights went out. Instant blizzard and lake effect snowstorm with 6' drifts in one day.

You really didn't need that "below the 49th" limiter in there.

Sounds nice for a northern clime.

We call that "hot and muggy" here.

Bueno, bwana. I guess it is viable. Go ahead and tell them that I said it's OK to build, will ya? <snort>
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales
Larry Jaques wrote:

------------------------------------- Hello snow belt where from Nov till May, you are up to your armpits in partly cloudy.
Some days the sun even shines. ---------------------------------

-------------------------------------- Pulled into Club Island in the Georgian Bay one August afternoon with a 27C temp reading.
Dropped the hook and over the side for a swim.
As the sun dropped, had some fried pike caught the previous day washed down with a few "Little Greenies".
Tough duty, but somebody had to do it
Lew

The symphony. The car show. The airport. Poking fun at the Cavaliers with the 20" rims and the coffee cans for exhausts. The Palace and the rock shows...lots to do in Detroit.... it's not all decayed.

Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village. Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run. in Novi; The Motorsports Museum & Hall of Fame.
Max
On 10/27/10 1:32 PM, Robatoy wrote:

But did you go and see Red Green last night in Sarnia? That should have been a highlight on your social calendar.
--
Froz...

Naaa... he has said a couple of funny things, but he's basically creating the wrong impression of who we are as a nation, that includes those Trailer Park idiots and that douchebag Celine Dijon[sic]. We have to be able to laugh at ourselves, but to do that, you have to be funny and Red Green's funny stopped after show # 3.... he ran out.