OT - Woodsmith Shop on TV

My question about which show was aimed at rich since he changed the topic around toward the use of neander methods. I have watched a few of the Woodsmith Shows and they have a pretty standard modern tool approach. On the other hand, Roy Underhill on the Woodwright's Shop definitely approaches woodworking from a neader slant.

I do agree that the few Woodsmith Shows that I have watched have been extremely basic.

Reply to
Dan Coby

Dan Coby wrote in news:OLGdnbT6LN75JUrXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

*snip*

It's very basic material mixed in with 11 minutes of filler. This for a 22 minute show! There needs to be less "round table" introduction and more content.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

What it really does is show how well the NYW is written, the excellent camera work it has, and what talent Norm possesses not only as a wood butcher but also as an instructor.

Simply put, the NYW is light years ahead of it's competitors IMHO.

YMMV.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have seen it.

The episodes I have seen are basic stuff.

But I consider that to be good...the hobby needs introductory stuff as well as advanced info.

Agreed, I try to record them and watch them, most I immediatly discard but I have kept a couple. As for making Norm look like a guru, yeah, he has had 21 years of practice. I recall he to was pretty basic and elementry by today's standards when he used his ShopSmith to cut up lumber.

And God knows that television in general needs more instructional/do- it-yourself shows to replace the reality crapola and sports that floods the airwaves.

Yeah, unless the instructional show involves a hot melt glue gun or beads of any kind.

I hope the show is successful and will encourage more shows of the same type at all skill levels.

I can see it progressing just like TYW did. They have the know how to produce very nice furniture.

Reply to
Leon

To All, I really screwed up! Woodsmith vs Woodwright! I was arguing in favor of the Woodwright, most of you were referring to Woodsmith.

Like arguing a band saw vs French Toast.

I stand by my statements regarding the use of basic hand tools as a skill builder, and for pleasure. That said, I use the full range of power tools whenever needed. When I run across a show that is too basic, I don't watch. Or too silly. Each to their own skill level.

Reply to
rich

I don't know what Normie's schedule is for next year, but a very good sign: This morning I was driving to work and was about a block past the NYW when I saw a "XXXX Forest Products" delivery truck heading the other way. There's no recording schedule on the New Yankee web site, but I hope they are going to produce some new episodes and not just repeat old ones. (I can't remember what XXXX is, but they're a hardwood supplier that has been mentioned in the credits on the NYW or TOH or both.)

Yeah, I know where the top secret location is, and have threatened to reveal it if not bribed with an autographed brad nailer or something of equivalent value...

Reply to
John Santos

NYW is done. Are you under the impression that XXX forest Products exists only for NYW? Were the other cars that you saw a good sign also. ;!)

I think every one knows where the NYW location is. Google Earth reveals it.

Reply to
Leon