OT - Woodsmith Shop on TV

Page 2 of 2
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

What it really does is show how well the NYW is written, the excellent camera work it has, and what talent Norm possesses not only as a wood butcher but also as an instructor.
Simply put, the NYW is light years ahead of it's competitors IMHO.
YMMV.
Lew
@verizon.net says...>

I don't know what Normie's schedule is for next year, but a very good sign: This morning I was driving to work and was about a block past the NYW when I saw a "XXXX Forest Products" delivery truck heading the other way. There's no recording schedule on the New Yankee web site, but I hope they are going to produce some new episodes and not just repeat old ones. (I can't remember what XXXX is, but they're a hardwood supplier that has been mentioned in the credits on the NYW or TOH or both.)
Yeah, I know where the top secret location is, and have threatened to reveal it if not bribed with an autographed brad nailer or something of equivalent value...
--
John

says...>

NYW is done. Are you under the impression that XXX forest Products exists only for NYW? Were the other cars that you saw a good sign also. ;!)

I think every one knows where the NYW location is. Google Earth reveals it.

I have seen it.
The episodes I have seen are basic stuff.
But I consider that to be good...the hobby needs introductory stuff as well as advanced info.
Agreed, I try to record them and watch them, most I immediatly discard but I have kept a couple. As for making Norm look like a guru, yeah, he has had 21 years of practice. I recall he to was pretty basic and elementry by today's standards when he used his ShopSmith to cut up lumber.
And God knows that television in general needs more instructional/do- it-yourself shows to replace the reality crapola and sports that floods the airwaves.
Yeah, unless the instructional show involves a hot melt glue gun or beads of any kind.
I hope the show is successful and will encourage more shows of the same type at all skill levels.
I can see it progressing just like TYW did. They have the know how to produce very nice furniture.
To All, I really screwed up! Woodsmith vs Woodwright! I was arguing in favor of the Woodwright, most of you were referring to Woodsmith.
Like arguing a band saw vs French Toast.
I stand by my statements regarding the use of basic hand tools as a skill builder, and for pleasure. That said, I use the full range of power tools whenever needed. When I run across a show that is too basic, I don't watch. Or too silly. Each to their own skill level.
Create is a good channel that has been around for a few years. We used to get it at our last location before we moved. We are pressing the local rural cable provider to add it. It has a little of everything for the woodworker, crafter, cooking, travel, garden, etc crew.
Create is PBS.