OT - Woodsmith Shop on TV

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I recently caught the tail end of an episode of the Woodsmith Shop at a friend's house and thought that others here might be interested. There's a new channel called Create, which happens to be channel 223 on Charter Cable in CT.
Peter.
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:32:07 -0400, Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:

I watched it exactly two times. The stuff that was covered was so basic it made Nahm look like a guru.
That may have been a misleading sample, but if not I can't imagine anyone on this group getting much out of it. Even a newbie.

Yeah, like the sanding show. Never even mentioned cabinet scrapers, files or rasps.
I like the magazine, but the show is a bit too basic.
scott
I have to disagree. What may seem simple, and easily done with modern power tools is a challenge with hand tools. How many of us can take a tree branch, and create a 24" x 2" x 4" board, just using hand tools?
Another area which I keep forgetting, is that carpenters 200 years ago were still pretty clever guys. I am challenged by the show to try new techniques, such as sliding dovetails, or a round ball in a socket.
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:21:24 -0700, rich wrote:

They did this on the show? If so, I rest my case :-).
If not, what relevance does it have?

Of course not! It's an example of a challenge to a student prior to the use of power tools. To get that board corectly dimensioned, flat on all faces, and all at right angles, using only hand tools is quite an accomplishment. The show demonstrates other techniques, that can be applied to your own projects.
I suggest you turn off your power tools one day, and see if you can produce a board, as noted above, from a branch.
rich wrote:

Why? If the Egyptians had a crane and jackhammers, they would've used them. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Did you see the movie Karate Kid ("Wipe-on..., Wipe-off..."). Because it may lead you to new skills! : )

Bill wrote:

LMAO! That cracked me up for some reason.
Yeah, I don't remember that. Was that in the deleted scenes on the DVD or something?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Maybe you remember "wax on, wax off". It was reinforced later in the movie when Miyagi showed _why_ "wax on, wax off".
J. Clarke wrote:

I was picturing Billy Mays as Mr. Miyagi doing an infomercial in Japan.
"A stain confronts you, it is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy. Just wipe on and wipe off to kick that stain's ass with the amazing Whammy Chammy!"
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Further, how many home shops have a froe and a drawknife and a seasoned tree branch? Try that with green wood and you're mainly going to learn why you don't want to work with green wood.

Many, if not most, homes with fireplaces will have seasoned wood available. A froe may not be necessary, a drawknife is nice, but a scrub plane or frame/bow saw can be used in a pinch.
I've built many a box from seasoned firewood (mainly Almond). Almond also makes nice handles for socket chisels. So does the Olive I scavenged from the neighbors tree when it came down.
I've also scavenged apple (enough for a small shaker table), sycamore (nice quarter sawn curls) and live oak (some qs, some ugly).
I think learning woodworking _should_ start with making an S4S board from a chunk of firewood; hand or power tools doesn't really matter, the process is fundamentally the same.
scott
-MIKE- wrote:

Maybe they did, and Jimmy Hoffa took 'em to the same place he took Saddam's WMDs... :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
rich wrote:

Are you confusing the "Woodsmith Shop" with the "Woodwright's Shop"? The former is the show mentioned in the topic for this thread. The later does use neander methods.
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:32:18 -0700, Dan Coby wrote:

Our TV listings gave it as the "Wood Shop" in fine print. I thought it might be the Woodwright's shop. That's how come I tuned in the 1st time :-). The 2nd was just to confirm the level of the show.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

My question about which show was aimed at rich since he changed the topic around toward the use of neander methods. I have watched a few of the Woodsmith Shows and they have a pretty standard modern tool approach. On the other hand, Roy Underhill on the Woodwright's Shop definitely approaches woodworking from a neader slant.
I do agree that the few Woodsmith Shows that I have watched have been extremely basic.
*snip*

It's very basic material mixed in with 11 minutes of filler. This for a 22 minute show! There needs to be less "round table" introduction and more content.
Puckdropper
On Oct 14, 3:18pm, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

You got cable in your cave?

I hope you are wrong. Obviously there are a lot of seasoned woodworkers within this group. However, I'm sure there are several levels of newbies that use this resource too, some just getting their feet wet. For folks who are just starting the craft, groups like this and programs like Woodsmith, Norm, etc are great for motivation as well as information.
Ron