OT: Woodshop music. Music, not audio gear.

Page 2 of 3

Mon, Jan 9, 2006, 10:01pm snipped-for-privacy@BULLtopworks.ca (Robatoy) doth rap: Loaded up the MP3 player with music that makes me work hard and gets my mojo working. <snip>
I'm awaiting your post, where you tell us about your shop accident, from paying attention to the music, instead of your fingers and the whirly parts.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
Try the RoadHouse podcast (http://www.roadhousepodcast.com /). A great hour of blues you have never heard, new every week. I subscribe to this and Dave Raven's podcast as well ... gradually filling up my ipod. Some tough decisions ahead of me when it's full.
cheers ...
brian
Stillwater Lake, Nova Scotia
Robatoy wrote:

Clapton? Stevie Ray Vaughn? maybe a little Santana?

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
How about Leo Kottke?
Mike
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That's Utmost Most Reverend Royal Highness Mr. Leo Kotke, to you, Mike. <G>
NObody does it like Leo. I tried to work out a piece of Leo's. I discovered that I was short 3 fingers and 4 strings. NO idea how he does what he does. Amazing. . . . . (He must use a tuning, no?)
Robatoy wrote:

[snip]
Look for Charlie Musselwhite, John Hammond in that vein. Jimmy Rogers (the blue yodler, not Honeycomb), Hank Williams Sr., Merle Haggard, Hank Snow, Kitty Wells, Reba McIntire, Emmy Lou Harris, Bela Bartok, Mozart, Mendellsohn (sp), Brubeck (Take 5), Miles Davis (Kinda Blue), on and on...
If you like Choral Music, pick up a CD by Chanticleer, my favorite men's chorus ever. Russian? Try Dmitri Bortnyansky "Sacred Concertos", Vol4 (if Concerto 24 doesn't get your blood moving, you are dead) and "Agnus Dei" by the Choir of New College, Oxford (Ave Verum Corpus). These should be played rather loud.
Mariachi Mexico and Mariachi Vargas are great and good fun, especially with a Pacifico or two. Anyway, that's enough for now.     musically yours,     jo4hn
"jo4hn" wrote in message

... or Delbert McClinton and Bonnie Raitt.

... and Flacco, Texas Tornadoes, or Frank Corrales for some 'tex-mex de luxe'.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Sorry.. no room for Delbert. I got too much stuff.

Start your day with Copeland's, "Fanfare For The Common Man".
In fact, it might be interesting to do one day with all the music from Copeland's stuff for the Martha Graham ballet.
"Appalachian Spring" is a sure winner.
On day two I would fire up Dvorak's, "New World Symphony". A tasty piece that will hook you firmly into the work ethic.
I particularly like the brothers Gershwin, but I would save them for the weekend.
The Holderlin/Nietzsche/Strauss piece, "Also Sprach Zarathustra", would be a wonderful way to start a Wednesday.
If you play, " The Ride Of The Valkyrie's", at lunchtime, you will be invigorated for the whole afternoon.
A Thursday is a good time for a bit of Beethoven. I would recommend, "The Ode To Joy", a joint effort of Messrs. Schiller and Beethoven, for your buckup after lunch.
Friday is a prefigurement of the weekend and thus deserves a celebratory sort of music. If you are not into Mozart, I would go for ZZ Topps, "Sharp Dressing Man", but what do I know.
Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Bill Chase - Get it on Soundtrack to "The Peacemaker"
Plus others
XM Radio - Cinemagic plays mostly
Dave
With that starter list, I can't believe I didn't see mention of Muddy Waters or Howlin' Wolf. (Those two are on my list of 'to be collected')
SteveP.

<<If you play, " The Ride Of The Valkyrie's", at lunchtime, you will be
invigorated for the whole afternoon. >>
Especially, if like me, you see the choppers coming over the surf in Apocalyse Now. Love the music, but unless I am at the symphony, I am seeing Robert Duvall with his campaign hat on in my mind's eye.
Lots of eclectic and esoteric music mentioned here, no doubt.
But Robatoy, no mention of your fellow Canadian K.D. Lang?
Whatta talent.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well, Nailshooter41, *IF that's your real name*, nobody can hit a note in the middle like KD Lang. Rides her Harley, smokes cigars, rolls her own tampons, and then sings with a sensitivity that is so amazing, it boggles the unboggable. I mean, how can a voice that is so accurate, so rock-solid, be so light?
A friend of mine e-mailed me today to tell that Alanis Morissette was going to be on Leno. I watched it. She's really become very well honed. Another amazing talent.
Now, having said all that... I can't stand either one of them, even though I can appreciate their abilities. Kinda like the rabbi who performs a circumcision with a Scary Sharp (TM) izmel, quickly and expertly. You got to tip your hat to the guy, but would you buy the video?
<G>
Rob
And no one mentioned Frank Zappa! What kind of a group are you anyway? No music when the power tools are on, but it's FZ (anytime, anywhere, and for no reason at all)during assembly time. Marc

I'm on a hiatus from Frank for a while. I'll do another burst sometime in the next year though.
--
"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom,
your dad, your teacher, your priest or some guy on TV telling you how to do

ROFL!
I liked KD back in the early days, with the Reclines, when she was on Jack Webster's show talking about being the reincarnation of Patsy and wearing hornrim glasses with no lenses. But since then? The woman has a beautiful voice, but there's no *soul* in it.
Speaking of a light voice... Have you ever listened to Blossom Dearie? And yes, that's her real name.
*I'd* peel her a grape...
djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
On 10 Jan 2006 21:47:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have a rip from the soundtracks with the choppers and dialog. I pasted the "napalm" line on the end.
Robatoy wrote:

When you're doing complex layouts, I recommend playing Me First and The Gimme Gimmes at high volume.
JP ********************* Savour the challenge.
"Robatoy" wrote [snip]

Try some of the stuff here ...
http://music.download.com/2001-1_32-0.html
Regards,
Rick
P.S. Get your shopbot yet?

I'm working on the building permit for a replacement garage big enough (and adequately sound-proofed) to house one. Maybe this year?