OT: Woodshop music. Music, not audio gear.

Page 1 of 3

Loaded up the MP3 player with music that makes me work hard and gets my mojo working. Taj Mahal, BB & Albert King, Eric Johnson, Gary Moore, Buddy Guy, Collins, Waters, Robert Johnson... that's the kinda stuff that blows up MY skirt. But I have lots of room left on my player.
*interlude * (With just a little fuzz) G7 C9 G7 Ab7 G7 *sings*
"Somebody HEP me!. I can't do this by myself.!"
I need more tunage!
So now that some of you illustrious gentlemen have some clue as to what I like, what, in that vein, do you recommend I hunt down so I can widen my horizons. Of course, now that I am typing away, lots of other names are popping into my head, like Hooker, Butterfield, Mahal and that ilk.
Thanks in advance.
Rob-----> who listens to anything done well, but seeks to work harder.
. . . . . . . *fades into* " Is She Is, Is She Ain't......."

On the blues side: Keb Mo, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, James Cotton, Mississipppi John Hurt, SRV, Smokin' Joe Kubek...
Any other genres?
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

Anything done well. From Flying Neutrinos to Cab Galloway, Loreena McKennitt, Al Green...and so on...anything. Live concerts I paid for in the last cpl of years include Tragically Hip, David Bowie, Detroit Symphony. I even like some of my 12-year-old daughter's music.... although it's not often.
Keb' Mo' got it..all his CD's. Got some Albert Collins and SRV (Saw SRV in Montreal and Toronto on several occasions.) So..thanks for the tips: James Cotton, Mississippi John Hurt & Kubek. I only recognize Cotton, got a little of his stuff...I'll be huntin' down your suggestions.
Again, thanks.

15 yr old daughter got an iPod Shuffle for Xmas. She's agreed to my iPod Challenge.
I get to load her iPod with my choice of music once a week or month (we haven't settled on time frame yet) starting in February, for as long as she wants me to do so...
We did a mini trial over the weekend, and yesterday she accosted me in the shop and said "Dad! WHAT have you DONE to me? You made me like JUGBAND music! AUGGHHH!"
Heh. She's a Great Kid (TM)
I'd loaded some R. Crumb and the Cheap Suit Serenaders... LOL!
Add the following to my suggestions:
The Roches Wide Mouth Mason Warren Zevon Tito Puente Texas Chainsaw Orchestra (OBWW) Sonny Rawlins Ry Cooder Roosevelt Sykes Mike Morgan and The Crawl Lucinda Williams Long John Baldry Little Feat Django Reinhart Leggs Diamond John Prine Coltrane Joan Jett & the Blackhearts The Guess Who Chris Isaac Chet Baker Buckwheat Zydeco Blues Jumpers Blossom Dearie (her real birth name!) Big Gilson Big Jack Johnson Asleep at the Wheel 10cc
Ooh! Flying Lizards version of "Money (That's what I want)"
A small slice of what iTunes reports as 69:23:16:41 in my library. I *think* that means nearly seventy DAYS worth of play time... Encroyable. And I haven't added all my CDs to iTunes yet! ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
[ snipped a very interesting list of artists, not dissimilar to mine]

Ya kiddin' me? I'm huge Who fan. The absolute best authentic rock band...EVER! The 10 albums I want to take with you to a desert island? Just 2 will do. Who's Next and Holst The Planets (Solti)

Yup. Love 'm.

mmmm..no. They played the crap out of that stuff around here. Tired of it. But they do hold up my theory that the best bands are 3-piece. (One can add an option front-man singer to that theory, like The Who.)

Absolutely
You bet

Already in the folder

Tip-o-the-hat to Dave. Thank you.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

The re-mix of Live at Leeds ain't too shabby, neither.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

Shit, man...I almost forgot about Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks...*slaps forehead*
Gentle Giant? Tom

I remember Gary Moore once doing a duet with Derwood Kirby. I might have that on a record around here somewhere. Does that help?
Regards, Roy

Can't help you there, my tastes run more to Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven, Tchaichovsky, etc.

Hey... I like that too...add Mozart, Liszt, Grieg, Sibelius, hell, even Handle on a dry day (waterworks joke) just not while I'm banging out solid surface countertops for clients like Holiday Inn.
That's the kind of music I play when I am working on this cherry coffee table, which I am building for my oldest daughter.
A little Ravel on Saturday morning...sometimes twice. <EG>
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I guess you guys wouldn't be interested in any of my Ministry, Rammstein, Alter Bridge, or Avenged Sevenfold discs? Hey! I don't mean for shim stock!
Barry (who's XM tuner actually has metal, classical, blues, trance, disco, new age, and alternative presets set, and is a Hartford Symphony subscriber)
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I was fishing in a small lake in our neighborhood one Saturday morning a few years ago. There are several homes on the lake and, at one of the homes, a gentleman was working in the backyard while listening to Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. I commented on how nice it was to hear that on a quiet Saturday morning and he responded that the local classical music station was all he listened to.
A few weeks later I was back on the lake and, as I approached the aforementioned homeowner's yard, I heard the strains of the latest Garth Brooks or some other hat act recording coming from the radio. The gentleman came around the house, saw me, and quickly switched the radio to the classical station. His wife, who was out on the dock, just looked at me and rolled her eyes. "He thinks he's impressing the neighbors listening to that. As soon as he gets back in the house he puts on those old George Jones LPs."
I would suggest that you give the late Stan Rogers a listen: http://www.stanrogers.net /

*VBS*...My wife hails from Nova Scotia
"Ohhh the year was 1778...."
One of the fattest folders in her iTunes.... It's growing on me.

Not bad.
My taste is a little more eclectic than just pure classical music, but that seems to be what I listen to most often when just listening to music.
Robatoy wrote:

This has nothing to do with your list, but you said you wanted wide horizons. :)
Tom Waits -- he cannot be put into any category (early to be safe, late if you are attracted to twisted genius)
Django Reinhardt -- Gypsy Jazz (and any kinda gypsy jazz orchestra if you like wild east euro flavored upbeat melancholy)
Moldy Peaches -- pop indy? (sweet and childish talent)
Ween -- pop indy?
Radiohead -- indy
er
--
email not valid

[snipperred for brevitisation]

Yup... forgot about him. Thanks for the reminder, It has been years since I gave him a listen.

Sorta-like Hungarian Dances? I can go some of that.

I like those guys... (adding some to the folder)

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Nope, way more "swing" than that ... the "Hot Club of France" in the 20's, with Stephane Grapelli on violin and Django on guitar. (Closest modern would be David Grisman's 'dawg music' in the 70's and 80's). I've got just about everything Django and Stephane did in mp3 format and most of those who followed in their footsteps (just checked iTunes on this computer and got 635 tunes typing in "django").
With almost 8000 tunes on the shop iPod, I get tired of listening to one genre continuously, so it may be John Prine today, SRV tomorrow, and occasionally even a Spanish lesson thrown in (you can talk to yourself in the shop and no one gives a shit or will be coming after you with a strait jacket).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I am familiar with Grapelli. My dad has some of his stuff on vinyl (maybe even lacquer). A very unique sound, hard not to recognize. I will explore your suggestions. Thanks for those.

The last time I got married, In Spite Of Ourselves, by Prine and Iris DeMent was played. A real crowd pleaser. (Ripped (in the digital sense) off a DVD I bought called Live from Sessions At West 54th.
Oh, and if anybody heard ME talking Spanish, I'd be hauled off to a loonie bin. <G>