OT: Wonder how much ...

Page 2 of 2

Wow, what a relief! I can tear up my suicide note now that it is all taken care of. Damn that was close.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote

make
Except that the study, and the resulting mathematical expression, are touted as being based solely on the "metabolic cost" to a _human_ walking up a slope.
Perhaps in a very limited way, but pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical of the usefulness of correlating a mathematical expression based on biologic human "metabolic cost" to "autonomous navigation".
IOW, I'm still convinced that it's more on the order of a boondoogle, than a boon, to mankind. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

It's a MODEL. That means you can change the numbers, and have it work for a gopher, a solder wearing 50 pounds of armour, or a tank.

LOL As a runner and a backpacker, I find it relatively difficult to believe that you can convert data based on VO2 capacity for humans to tanks that would have an infinite number of gearing and HP possibilities.
However, this discussion comes down to whether the conclusion of the study is "apparent and obvious to most, but without precision" or if so many intelligent people do not see it as "apparent and obvious" that the expenditure of funds is justified. I think the former, but certainly do not have the statistical data to make any claim other than an opinion.
Additionally, most elevating trails that I'm familiar with use the basic principle of switchback, but the terrain dictactes how often and when the switchbacks occur. This I would assume to make the trailblazing practical. Leads me to wonder what the study brings to the party.
my $.02 worth.
Frank
"Maxwell Lol" wrote

Just poor reading comprehension, fuzzy logic, and irrelevance ... none of which you seem to have improved upon thus far.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Some times they latch on and just won't let go. ;~)