OT - WMDs... The UN says he had them

It doesn't really matter what I consider the above groups - You and I have biases toward believing one definition, whereas the folks holding the opposing veiw, I'm sure, have a different definition for the same group. That's been my point all along.

Perhaps then the a-bomb was a poor example... how about the fire-bombing of Tokyo, the forest-fire bombs in the NW or the nightly bombing of London? These actions, AFAIK, were intended to terrorize and break the people's will.
Well, I've got to let these political threads go - just gets me too wound up - and I don't need to cause myself more thought on this stuff - I come here for a diversion from such concerns. You, sir, may have the last word if you like.

Yes, I think it does. In an earlier post, you equated those groups with the Palestinian terrorists who murder innocent civilians. I said before, and I repeat, that it takes a special kind of mind to see moral equivalence between guerilla warfare directed at the soldiers of an occupying army, and terrorist acts directed at an innocent civilian population.

the contras murdered quite a lot of civillians. they most definitely *were* terrorists.....
In article

point.
But you still have an annoying habit of not responding to what was said. In the post you're replying to, Australopithecus said:
"BTW, equating loyal opposition to supporting terrorism is a gross violation of the principles of democracy. You have your say, which I may disagree with, but will defend to the death your right to say, and I expect the same of you."
I agree with him - do you?
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Loyal opposition to specific government policies? Sure, I agree with him.
Opposition to hunting down islamofascist terrorists and exterminating them? Not a chance. That means losing the war, which means our extermination (I say "our" meaning the west in general).
Any opposition that is meant to interfere with winning this war is by definition supporting terrorism.
djb
In article

You're almost as much of a fanatic as the ones we're fighting. I won't respond to, or even see, any more of your postings.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

I suppose one could make that argument. I'm not, but one could.
Pacifism in a struggle to the death (which you've agreed is the case) could be logically and legitimately construed as giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

I'm not a fanatic about anything. I'm expressing my opinions in what I thout was a free exchange of ideas.

Your choice of course. That's unfortunate, as I enjoy your postings and will continue to read them and probably reply from time to time.
But it's a typical response by members of the LL to uncomfortable arguments and facts, so I'm not terribly surprised.
djb

There are other forums where you can discuss this topic.
If you want to bring up politics, add the new newsgroups to the subject, and change the Follow-up to header.

Well, I'd guess we might have a few more allies, we might have better international cooperation on intelligence, and we might not have invaded a country that had absolutely zero to do with Al Qaeda. We might have done a lot of things smarter. Reagan had much better judgement, much better diplomatic skills, and a much clearer vision of how to lead by consensus.
Comparing Bush to Reagan is really just silly. To co-opt Lloyd Bentsen's famous line against Dan Quayle, "We know Ronald Reagan and George Bush is no Ronald Reagan."
Dave Balderstone wrote:

If this is true we've got a real problem as this site was photographed OUTSIDE Baghdad AFTER the war and then disappeared out from under our very noses.
There you go, either the people in the military are complete idiots, and that would have to be an understatement, or the Trib is taking liberties with it's reporting.

Judging from your tone it would suit you better if the Tribune is lying, or not reporting the complete truth.
--
{neatly edited}

Note also the part about the UN inspection tags remaining intact. These had been declared and inspected.

The military is not in control of the reconstruction.
--

FF

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:09:38 -0600, Dave Balderstone
thread after he puts in his last word.

That's just too funny.
Do you do standup?
snipped-for-privacy@WarWithDragons.com says...