OT - WMDs... The UN says he had them

The French say "Kerry! Bon!"

I read somewhere (some e-paper, don't remember...) that the Qaida really prefers Bush. He generates many more recruits for them. Whether you are pro- or anti- Bush, this is true _in_the_short_run_. Longer term, we'll have to see. Remember, Kerry wants to bring in the rest of the world, no more unilateralism. Again, proB or antiB, more of the world happily zapping twits is a good thing.
BTW, equating loyal opposition to supporting terrorism is a gross violation of the principles of democracy. You have your say, which I may disagree with, but will defend to the death your right to say, and I expect the same of you. (I humbly suggest that in the meantime we listen to one another, and, maybe, find some common ground.)
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

Al-Qaida doesn't care. Radical Islam as espoused by Al-Qaida will only be satisfied when what we know as western democracy is utterly destroyed. We are the infidel, and we must die.
If you think the above is not true, you need to report for re-grooving.
This is a good time for the thought experiment "What if Reagan had to deal with Al-Qaida, instead of Gorbachev?"
Oh. man... would the LL be screaming like a stuck pig or what?
djb

I agree entirely. Where we disagree is in the methods. Crusades don't work. (Christendom tried it. Saladin was a hero...) Hearts and minds is a bitter memory. OK, let's look at some options. Please, interpolate other ideas into this list... (Really. These are straw men. Let's talk.)
1) Nuke everything from 20deg West to 130 E, 25 N to 35 N to glass. Screw the orangutans on Gib. And the Likud--Stupid asses.
2) Stop doing the really stupid things that one Christian doesn't do to another person, and tell the Muslim world that we don't hate Islam, we hate wackos.
3) Convert to Islam, and hand Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld to the wacko-du-jour for disposal.
I suspect the best course of action is somewhere around 1.9, but I'm open to suggestions from 1.75 to 1.98. (If I were a 1.0 voter, I'd also send the BUFs to eradicate the illegal fortifications Israel erected in defiance of international law. Screw the UN, I'm for reality.)
Purely by coincidence I was reading Herodotus and Xenophon about the time this all blew up (Oh, gee, I forgot the date... ;-|). You gotta read those guys. Really, everything that is happening now is already recorded. It's uncanny. "Those who do not know history," or something like that.
With all respect to all posters,
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

In article <enalbor_reversed-
enalbor snipped-for-privacy@ALUMinum.MITten.EDU says...

1.5) Put a wall around the whole area, including Israel and the Likud, and shoot anything going in or out. Let them solve their own problems.
Oops, that won't work. Then we couldn't steal their oil :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

FFS, Larry, whose oil are we stealing? If we're stealing someone's oil, why is gas $2.30 a gallon? (show your work).

We're not fighting Islam, we are fighting wacko's. They only have one objective destroy the West and Israel. The Wacko's have been brainwashing their children for decades. #1 would work, but that would also kill the 98% that aren't the problem. Why do you think the insurgents are fighting so hard, because if freedom gets a foothold in the middle east, what the terrorists really stand for - HATE, will become obvious and their own people empowered by their government will fight them. If you think being nicey-nicey is the answer think about these events since 1979: 1) November 1979 attacked and seized the American Embassy in Tehran. 2) April of 1983 a vehicle packed with explosives was driven into the US Embassy compound in Beirut, it killed 63 people. 3) Again in 1983 large truck loaded with TNT smashed through the main gate of the US Marine Corps headquarters in Beirut and 241 US servicemen are killed. 4) December 1983, another truck loaded with explosives is driven into the US Embassy in Kuwait 5) April 1985 a bomb explodes in a restaurant frequented by US soldiers in Madrid. 6) August 1985 a explosives loaded vehicel is driven into the main gate of the US Air Force Base at Rhein-Main, 22 dead. 7) A few days later, Achille Lauro is hijacked an American in a wheelchair is singled out of the passenger list and executed. 8) They bomb TWA Flight 840 in April of 1986 that killed 4 9) Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in 1988, killing 259. 10) January 1993, terrorists kill two CIA agents as they enter CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia 11) February 1993, terrorists drive a rented van packed with explosives in the parking garage of the World Trade Center in New York City. Six people are killed and over 1000 are injured 12) November 1995 a car bomb explodes at a US military complex in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia killing seven service men and women. 13) June of 1996, another truck bomb explodes only 35 yards from the US military compound in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. It destroys the Khobar Towers, a US Air Force barracks, killing 19 and injuring over 500. 14) In a simultaneous attack on two US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. They kill 224. 15) Oct 2000, the USS Cole in Yemen for refueling, a small craft attacked killing 17 US Navy Sailors. 16) -------------- 9/11/2001 WTC ------------------ THOUSANDS DEAD!
Wer'e doing the right thing, attacking terrorism, sitting back and being nicey-nicey won't work as above shows. Terrorists know the American bleading heart left is only concerned about political power. Liberals will raise memorials to all the fallen, and do nothing of any substance to stop the terrorists. Terrorists won in Spain, and the liberals are helping them win here in the US of A. And don't give me the UN solution, what a joke!
With the fall of the USSR we thought the untruthfull TASS was dead, no it's still alive and well, just goes by ABC, NBC, CBS instead.

Phil wrote:

And we are doing that where?
Tell you now, if your going to write Iraq your a moron.

?
Think so?

This is turning out to be one of the most brainless pieces of drivel I've read in a long time.

We're all helping them win, they have already divided us.

And the Tribune, and FOX, and CBN, and on and on ...
Please define liberal .... would that be anyone who doesn't think as you?
--
{neatly edited}
"Please define liberal .... would that be anyone who doesn't think as you?"

BUSH 2004!!!!!
Tillius
"Apathy is the hand that opens the door for Tyranny" (Tillman Stevens, 2001)

tillman retorts:

Ask a question, get a snotty remark. Does that define neocon?
I'm a liberal. Anyone who doesn't like it can jump up and bite my ass.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
tillius wrote:

It is always difficult to understand why some people are devoted to Bush and his administration and ignore facts and the well being of our country.     jo4hn

Actually, there *is* such proof -- just a couple of years ago, Saddam publicly offered US $25K to the next-of-kin of any Palestinian suicide bomber who murdered Israelis. That certainly is soliciting and supporting terrorism.

And there is evidence Saddam was supporting Al Quaida. The NYT has reporteded it, though (no surprise).
I'll have that compiled in the next few days so y'all can judge for yourselves.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

Oh, that's true all right. Saddam supported the Palestinians. All the Arab states do, whether openly or clandestinely. But that's a long way from being a threat to us.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in message

That's not proof of anything other than bandwagon jumping. The PLO openly decried this, and even Hamas were cagey about it (although they wanted the money). Both groups knew that associating themselves with Saddam was a terrible move politically, even if the money was useful. From SH's viewpoint, he could very cheaply claim to be part of the great islamist uprising against the infidel (whatever that is) and he knew that played well in any disadvantaged refugee camp. Good PR for him, and cheap too.
And for that matter, when did Hamas take part in 9/11 ?
SH existed for two reasons; he wasn't a communist, and he wasn't an islamist. He got to power on the basis of the first, and he stayed there because of the second. The US created Saddam, and he was left in place after '91 because Bush senior didn't want a Shia Iraq (and that's who would probably have been running 2/3rd of the place, with the Kurds gone independent). A Shia Iraq was going to be far too close to Iran for Washington's liking, even if that involved murdering Iraq's emerging opposition in '91 (and make no mistake, that's what we did when we betrayed them). Just exactly how brutal he was is a candidate for Goodwin's Law, but there's no question that he hated any form of religious militancy - he knew where his biggest weakness was.
Right this minute we in the West should be cosying up to Sadra as someone vaguely civilised who can run the place, and who we can work with. Instead we're trying to turn him into the next demonic ayatollah bogeyman and threatening him with helicopter gunships. That's going to turn around and bite us in a few years....
(Andy Dingley) wrote:

[that Saddam Hussein supported terrorism]

Maybe in your world. In mine, paying cash rewards for terrorist acts is supporting terrorism, and a public offer to do so is sufficient proof.
[snip]

No-one said they did. Your point was...?

<Damn,damn,damn. I told myself I wasn't going to respond to more political threads...Damn.>
And what of US supply and support of the Contra's and the Afghani Freedom Fighters? One person's "freedom fighters" are another's terrorists.

The Contras were resisting a Communist coup d'etat. The Afghani mujaheddin were fighting to repel a foreign invader. The Palestinian terrorists are murdering innocent civilians.
It takes a special kind of mind to equate the three.

All I think it takes is the ability to put yourself in the shoes of another:
So because the Communists are always the enemy to US view, supporting the Contras was justified. From the viewpoint of the Communist supporters, the Contras were terrorists.
You obviously don't see the parallel to the Iraqi insurgent's resistance to our own occupation to that of the Russians in Afghanistan...
You think the Palestinians view their fight as terroristic in nature?
Likewise, the French Underground during WW2 was quite possibly a terrorist organization to the German view while we largely would not view their efforts under such light.
It's all about perspective.
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:38:49 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

In 1775, Americans were terrorists. We didn't fight fair. While the Redcoats advanced in orderly rows, we hid in trees and behind rocks.
Barry