OT - WMDs... The UN says he had them

Page 1 of 4
<http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/breaking_1.html
Excerpt:
"Friday, June 11, 2004
The United Nations has determined that Saddam Hussein shipped weapons of mass destruction components as well as medium-range ballistic missiles before, during and after the U.S.-led war against Iraq in 2003.
The UN Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission briefed the Security Council on new findings that could help trace the whereabouts of Saddam's missile and WMD program.
The briefing contained satellite photographs that demonstrated the speed with which Saddam dismantled his missile and WMD sites before and during the war. Council members were shown photographs of a ballistic missile site outside Baghdad in May 2003, and then saw a satellite image of the same location in February 2004, in which facilities had disappeared."
So there. It's not Bush, Cheney and Enron saying it.
It's UNMOVIC, briefing the Security Council.
Can we now move this off the wreck to alt.bushishilter or some ofther equally fanciful waste of bandwidth?
Thank you.
djb
--
"It's not bragging if you can back it up." -- Muhammad Ali

<snip>
Uh huh. I don't suppose you have a source a bit more trustworthy than worldtribune.com (whoever the hell that is) to back up this story. The UNMOVIC page on the UN web page doesn't seem to mention anything.
todd

Damn. I thought I set the followup header properly.
Did it this time.
Have fun...
The AP, Fox, WaPo?
Hardly reliable sources, wot?
;-)
Now, if it was Al-Reuters doing the reporting, *that* would be something.
djb
--
"I don't always know what I'm talking about, but I know I'm right." -- Muhammad
Ali

Well, since you apparently didn't read the original link, I'll offer it again.
<http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/breaking_1.html
Pay attention to the first paragraph...
" The United Nations has determined that Saddam Hussein shipped weapons of mass destruction components as well as medium-range ballistic missiles before, during and after the U.S.-led war against Iraq in 2003."
Key words in that para:
United Nations <-- not the US led coalition, the UN
determined <-- A conclusion based on evidence
Saddam <-- Not Dubya, Saddam. You know, Hussein?
shipped <-- Hope he didn't use UPS
weapons of mass destruction <-- The stuff you keep asking about
components <-- You'll now argue that mere parts prove nothing, right?
before <-- means "prior to"
during <-- means "scrambling to save his ass"
after <-- means "from areas not under coalition control before Saddam was captured", I'm guessing
Hope that helps...
djb
--
"Wherever there is a jackboot stomping on a human face there will be a
well-heeled Western liberal to explain that the face does, after all, enjoy
Dave Balderstone wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@NOT.THIS.balderstone.ca says...

No, I didn't read the original link. Another poster suggested the Washington Times as a more reliable reference and I read (and posted) what they said. Since they differ from the worldtribune, I guess we'll just have to decide for ourselves which is more trustworthy.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Doesn't matter, though. You've already decided.
djb
--
"We have been looking for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq for less time
than it took Hillary Clinton to find the billing record from the Rose Law firm.

If you read past that paragraph you will find that support for much of that paragraph is lacking.

Uh, no, determined can mean based on anything. Read to see the evidence that is actually cited in the article.

Not supported by the content of the article. Just how did SH coordinate the shipments from his spider hole?

Specifically, what, exactly?

DIsmantled and scrapped. Some with UN inspection tags intact.

Yep, SH would have been involved in that.

SH pretty much lost communication and control in the first few days of the invasion.

I do not share your guesswork.

--

FF

It doesn't matter much what the evidence is, Robert. The LL have already decided what the truth is, and facts will merely obscure that truth.
There's ample evidence of Saddams WMD program, and his links to Al Quaeda, but none of the LL will even acknowledge it's existence never mind its veracity.
djb

What is "LL"?
There is no evidence whatsoever of links between the Qaida and Saddam. Cheney and the Fox propaganda network keep playing that tune, but it's a lie. Yes, Saddam is a creep. Yes, the neocons cooked the books to generate support for the war.
BTW, I'm a Goldwater Republican, and the only honest Republican at the national level today is John McCain. Used to be two, but Powell failed to resign upon learning he'd been used. The New Mexico congresscritter, whatshername, is honest too, but dumb as a brick.
See, the differences twixt the "LL" (liberal left?) and the "RR" (reactionary right--just made that up...) are confounded because the two sides aren't arguing about the same thing. I can't abide lies, so I can't understand the "RR" point of view vis a vis the PNAC twerps. I'm not a "LL", so I don't know what, exactly, it is that you think that they think. However, and I include this seriously, I would welcome a discussion offline among proponents of the various points of view so we can, perhaps, figure out what the other sides are really concerned about.
I just generated a throwaway email account for this purpose. Write, considered discussion only, no flames please, to " snipped-for-privacy@christian.net". Don't read anything one way or another into that address, btw. Then we can take this offline and get back to woodworking.
Wanted: wrecker in the greater Milwaukee area who would loan me an e-camera, or take the pictures him/herself. I owe a bunch of photos to abpw, and don't have an ecamera.
regards, (can't bring myself to post my real name on newsgroups. Write, and I'll send back with my real email.)
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

Liberal Left.

Do your research. There's lots of evidence.
If you really can't find the citations, I'll provide them, but it's not that difficult.

(Dave Balderstone sent me an email whilst I was composing a reply. Here's to considered discussion. ) *I sent what I'd composed to Dave. Please, let's take this offline. Wood doesn't argue. It just is. I suspect that the messy rest of the world is the same. Let's plane this down a few mils at a time.*
How the heck do you get an even coat of shellac on a small object with sharp corners? My rubbing pad leaves a big coat on the middle, and scants the edges. Unless it drips over.
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

Soften the edges ever so slightly.

--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

Sanding is like paying taxes ... everyone has to do it, but it is
In article <enalbor_reversed-
enalbor snipped-for-privacy@ALUMinum.MITten.EDU says...

That's strange. I have the opposite problem, the proberbial "fat edge".
My suggestion is to apply lighter coats and more of them, if you're not doing that already.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Dave Balderstone wrote:

That's a child's trick, to get others to do research to prove a point that's known false, and when they fail to look for non existent information you claim 'victory'.
Doesn't work. It's not up to us to prove your point for you.
Until you provide evidence I'll continue to believe there was no connection, as per Rumsfeld (and Dubyas?) own words.
--
{neatly edited}

Australo and I are going to move this off list for the time while I present my evidence and try to convince him I'm right. Once that's over one of us will most likely post another OT message.
djb

Please do and also please post htem somewhere where they are on topic like maybe alt.politics.bush.
--

FF

Here is my attempt to get around the polarized positions of the various posters. I watch the news (not the infotainment on the networks) as best I can. 1. Saddam is a very bad person. 2. Saddam had, used, and wanted better WMD. 3. PNAC wanted Saddam at any cost, by any means.
Here is my read on the sittyation: The PNAC neocons wanted Saddam so bad, they cooked up a casus belli. They cherrypicked intelligence to make the case. They put Colin Powell up as front man because he was an honest guy. Now, the case for war against Saddam was kinda like OJ: they framed the perp. Here's where the trouble starts. The intelligence was bad. The INC fed the hawks what the hawks wanted to hear. Looks like a strong possibility that Iran had a hand in that. So the cooked up casus belli was weak to begin with, and turns out to have been twice cooked.
The trouble with taking action based on belief and wishes instead of cold, hard fact is that someone wilier and smarter will feed you rope.
So, some of us desire mightily that Bush II be ousted asap.
I'm squaring up a piece of Ash with really gnarly grain. I have to go at the piece (2x18) from both ends. Every time I get close to getting the pits out, I get another tear-out. I'm using two planes on it, #4 and #5, and sharpening frequently. Had to widen the mouth on the #4 cuz I was getting accordion bits. Situation isn't helped by the slight curvature I discovered in the #4 blade: when the bite is a half-gnat's whisker, only a half inch of the blade bites. Back to the sharpening.
Made another project from the same board and it was no problem.
--
"Keep your ass behind you."