OT- Windows Live Mail

Yeah, they sure buried that dvorak keyboard layout pretty deep! Considering the advancement in technology why is the qwerty layout still in existence? Stupid if you ask me..... phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

"Leon" wrote

Thanks, Leon. The method that has proved to work well is: "Select" the first message. Holding the shift key down, scroll down and select the last message. All messages will be highlighted. press the delete *key*. Voila!! All messages disappear. Miraculous!! LOL

Max

Reply to
Max

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Just as it is in any bureaucracy the software writers at MS feel a need to justify their existence so they make changes whether they're needed or not. ;-)

Max

Reply to
Max

"Max" wrote

It has always been my theory that software geeks are socially maladjusted individuals who can't get laid. So they write this nightmarish software to make normal people's lives a living hell. As a geek revenge thing.

The killfile thing I mention above came about not because I figured it out from a killfile or newsgroup perspective. I kept getting e-mails with SPAM in the header. And often they were from friends. I even got the SPAM designation from e-mails I sent to myself from another computer. It was disconcerting to get important e-mail with the SPAM designation. Particularly if I archived them.

When I came across that Junk E-mail thing, it all made sense. I looked up kilfiles, etc in help. Nothing. Apparently nobody at MS knows about or acknowledges the existence of killfiles. It probably would cut into sales of Bing advertising. I found it as a side note in a forum messages somewhere. The message was referring to the difference between Vista and Windows7 for killfiling. Nothing on the subject was available from Microsoft.

The same with the paint program. There was no menu choice. It pops up if you search for it. There are a number of programs I can't get to in W7. So I attach them to the task bar. There are a number of functions that I can't access in the menus. I was able to find them and add the function as an icon someplace.

This whole idea that you have hidden function is absurd. Why should you hide functions in the program? What purpose does it serve? It just pisses people off. I read someplace that some poor little whiners were upset that the operating system was "too complicated". No MS brags about that many functions are hidden. The make it sound like a good thing. If it is so good, why don't they mention it in the help files? Or make it easier to find the hidden functions? Why can't I find it our from MS themselves?

I know that I am a dinosaur. I remember manuals. Remember those books that came with the software. I not only read those things, but I bought additional manuals. Often much better than the MS manuals. There I go showing my age again. I actually can and do READ!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote

I'm with you. I recently bought a smart phone. Instructions, such as they are, are available.......online............... or by purchase........through an 800 number. WTF?

Max.......mumbling.......

Reply to
Max

Entering "dvorak" into help got me there in about six clicks.

Because legions of touch-typists know QWERTY and tests have shown that Dvorak does not confer sufficient benefits to justify the cost of retraining.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You could probably get user manuals on a DVD in a 5,280 page format covering some of the basics.

MS looking for manual writers with systems over 32GB of RAM memory to manage the next generation of manuals.

Yeah, I hate it too but feeling old is natural at your age. Nobody wants to use the laptop after a 2 hour shit session on the toilet where most of the learning is done.

LOL

[...]

Josepi

How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail? (other than one at a time)

Thanks, Max

And, in Live Mail, looking at the messages in the news groups I am finding that if I sort the messages other than by the "Sent" column you cannot open the original thread to see all the posts below it. Any one else see this?

Reply to
Leon

Highlight a message. Hit control A (that will highlight all) Hit control Q (that will set them to "all read")

Reply to
Ed Ahern