OT- Windows Live Mail

Page 1 of 2
How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail? (other than one at a time)
Thanks, Max
On 4/15/2011 4:27 PM, Max wrote:

newsgroup messages from the newsserver. ie that may appear to be gone in the newsreader, but they will be on the server nearly forever. For a newreader/email program like Thunderbird, you can adjust the built in fiters to see only unread. so you only see the new messages.

I have Windows Vista on a desktop and Windows 7 on a laptop. I read newsgroups on the desktop and delete the messages daily. When I use the laptop (about once every 2 weeks) there are 300 message headers most of which I've already read. I can't seem to find an easy way to delete all of them from Windows Live Mail.
Max

Can't you sort by date and delete all before some date/time?

Nope. Don't work.
But thanks.
Max

Yep!!

item the hold down the shift key and select the other end of the range. You can select individual items by holding down Ctrl. I don't use Windows Live so I have no idea how it works. Still using Agent 2 and Thunderbird.
Mike M

Don't work. :-(
Max

On the list of newsgroups on the left, right click the newsgroup and select "Catch Up". Step two, at the top, Click "view" in the menu bar, then under "Filter Messages", "Hide Read Messages".
There doesn't seem to be any way to catch up multiple newsgroups in a single step.
message wrote

In OE6: In the list of groups on the left, right click on one, properties, local file, delete, ok, compact, ok.

Windows Live Mail is not derived from Outlook Express.
Works just fine here.
----------------------
Don't work. :-(
--------------------

You don't.
Go to the VIEW menu and the SHOW AND HIDE and select HIDE READ MESSAGES and you won't see them again.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

You don't.
Go to the VIEW menu and the SHOW AND HIDE and select HIDE READ MESSAGES and you won't see them again.
Of course the prior comments will hide read messages. But the unread messages will still display. On my Outlook Live screen, there is a very small icon in the upper left corner, way at the top, which looks like a pair of envelopes. If you cursor over that icon it should say "Mark all read". When I finish a session and have read what I want, I click on that icon and all the messages become 'read'. My view screen is set up to show only unread messages. My next session shows only new messages. Hope this helps.
TinWoodsmn

I don't like doing that because you lose context, particularly with people who don't include context or top-post. It's better to just not expand threads with no new/unread content.

To delete them you select them in a group using the MS Windows technique, same as any other software written correctly for Windows.
- To select one item...click on it - To select multiple items hold down your control key and click on any item you want selected - To select a contiguous group of items select (see top method) the first or last item then go to the other end of the list and hold down the shift key while you click on the item at the other end.
After selecting one, random, or grouped items hit the delete key or right click on your mouse and select delete off the pull-down menu.
----------------------
"Max" wrote in message
How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail? (other than one at a time)
Thanks, Max
This is probably what you are looking for, similar to Outlook Express
Click on the Newsgroups icon, bottom left, so that your news group shows. At the top of the window, click the Folders tab. Click the Message Rules tab on the right. You then get a window that is very similar if not exactly like the one that Outlook Express has.
I just installed Windows Live Mail also and am having to learn the my way around. I don't recall Outlook Express needing to be improved and yet here we are. ;~(
"Leon" wrote in message
How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail? (other than one at a time)
Thanks, Max
This is probably what you are looking for, similar to Outlook Express
Click on the Newsgroups icon, bottom left, so that your news group shows. At the top of the window, click the Folders tab. Click the Message Rules tab on the right. You then get a window that is very similar if not exactly like the one that Outlook Express has.
I just installed Windows Live Mail also and am having to learn the my way around. I don't recall Outlook Express needing to be improved and yet here we are. ;~(
BTY I just set up a rule deleting anything over 30 days old, worked just like Outlook Express. Remember that this is a manual task and you have to select the particular news group you want the rule to apply to.

You right click on the offending message header, then go to Junk E-mail. Click that and look at the menu. Click on Add To Blocked Senders List.
Thee is an obsession with hiding everything. I needed the paint program and could not find it anywhere. I did a search for it and it popped up. What is the logic behind hiding everything? Microsoft has a long term policy of dumbing down every version of its software.