OT - windows explorer hosed up on me

I'd sure appreciate some help from the guru's here. Yesterday windows explorer choked. In the details view I now have only one column in the right pane and it has no header/label. There are no files showing in this pane either. At the bottom left of the window it does show that there are files in the folder. All other views seem unaffected. Any thoughts on why this happened and how to fix it?

This is on my win98se system if that makes a difference.

TIA Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

There are a few things you can try

  1. Check for virus
  2. Scandisk (thorough)
  3. re-install 98SE (this will repair or replace any bad/missing files)
Reply to
ken

Is there a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the right pane? If so, scroll it left and right to see if anything else is visible. You may have accidentally resized the columns to the point that nothing is visible.

Doug Miller

That would be pretty unusual behavior for a virus.

Disk errors are *very* unlikely to manifest themselves in so benign a fashion.

Absurd. This should be done only as an absolutely last resort, when every other attempt to solve the problem has failed. You must work for Monkeysoft.

Doug Miller

You could try a 3rd party Explorer replacement.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

As a software developer I had to regularily FDISK & start over in the Win9x era.

I've been flat amazed I haven't had to rebuild my Win2k box, though it has become gimpy in spots. OpenGL went away, for example, but since it's not critical now it's not worth the hassle of resurrection / rebuild.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Sounds like you've accidentally dragged the toolbars to a weird configuration some how. You might try View->Toolbars -> Customize and then select 'Reset' to put everything back.

Reply to
NoJointerHere

Thanks for the ideas guys. I had already tried some of them and tried the others (not the re-install one) and got nowhere.

The solution is to left-click in the right hand pane and do a ctrl-+ (the + on the numeric keypad). This resizes the columns to minimum and I could see everything again. MS knows about this problem and has a knowledge base article on it.

still haven't figured out how I caused the problem in the first place though.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

You could try going out to the MS site and installing the patches/fixes for Explorer. Might fix it. Be careful though - I think there's some issue with upgrading to Explorer 6 (as in, you don't want to upgrade quite that far).

Renata

smart, not dumb for email

Reply to
Renata

As a sw developer I've yet to rebuild my Win98 or Win2k PCs. ;-) Course, I had 'em "tailored" after installation rather just plopping them on the disk from the installation cd.

Renata

smart, not dumb for email

Reply to
Renata

I was doing a lot of imaging stuff -- framegrabbers etc. Plus I was doing MS development as well as Lotus Notes 4.6. MS & IBM hated each other. Each would change registry settings important to the other, without any kind of warning.

Fortunately, USB has made framegrabbers obsolete for my applications.

Still, I really enjoy the solid feel of Win2k & XP. In the Win3.x days I reinstalled > 100 times on a network of about 10 PCs I was running. Remember the 640k limit? Yech!

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I don't understand how that would help my problem with windows explorer. Please explain.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

On 01 Nov 2003, Wood Butcher spake unto rec.woodworking:

THANK YOU!!! I've had this same problem for a year now, and could not find a solution anywhere. How nice to be able to sort columns again, without the whole right-click>arrange icons>by Name/Type/Size/Date rigamarole. You da man!

Reply to
Scott Cramer

But, who would ever need more than 640K (TOTAL!) ? ;-)

Renata

--snip--

smart, not dumb for email

Reply to