OT - windows explorer hosed up on me

I'd sure appreciate some help from the guru's here. Yesterday windows explorer choked. In the details view I now have only one column in the right pane and it has no header/label. There are no files showing in this pane either. At the bottom left of the window it does show that there are files in the folder. All other views seem unaffected. Any thoughts on why this happened and how to fix it?
This is on my win98se system if that makes a difference.
TIA Art

There are a few things you can try 1. Check for virus 2. Scandisk (thorough) 3. re-install 98SE (this will repair or replace any bad/missing files)

That would be pretty unusual behavior for a virus.

Disk errors are *very* unlikely to manifest themselves in so benign a fashion.

Absurd. This should be done only as an absolutely last resort, when every other attempt to solve the problem has failed. You must work for Monkeysoft.
Doug Miller wrote:

As a software developer I had to regularily FDISK & start over in the Win9x era.
I've been flat amazed I haven't had to rebuild my Win2k box, though it has become gimpy in spots. OpenGL went away, for example, but since it's not critical now it's not worth the hassle of resurrection / rebuild.
-- Mark
As a sw developer I've yet to rebuild my Win98 or Win2k PCs. ;-) Course, I had 'em "tailored" after installation rather just plopping them on the disk from the installation cd.
Renata
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:50:34 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

smart, not dumb for email
Renata wrote:

I was doing a lot of imaging stuff -- framegrabbers etc. Plus I was doing MS development as well as Lotus Notes 4.6. MS & IBM hated each other. Each would change registry settings important to the other, without any kind of warning.
Fortunately, USB has made framegrabbers obsolete for my applications.
Still, I really enjoy the solid feel of Win2k & XP. In the Win3.x days I reinstalled > 100 times on a network of about 10 PCs I was running. Remember the 640k limit? Yech!
-- Mark
But, who would ever need more than 640K (TOTAL!) ? ;-)
Renata
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:34:17 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
--snip--

smart, not dumb for email

Is there a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the right pane? If so, scroll it left and right to see if anything else is visible. You may have accidentally resized the columns to the point that nothing is visible.
Wood Butcher wrote:

You could try a 3rd party Explorer replacement.
-- Mark

Sounds like you've accidentally dragged the toolbars to a weird configuration some how. You might try View->Toolbars -> Customize and then select 'Reset' to put everything back.
Thanks for the ideas guys. I had already tried some of them and tried the others (not the re-install one) and got nowhere.
The solution is to left-click in the right hand pane and do a ctrl-+ (the + on the numeric keypad). This resizes the columns to minimum and I could see everything again. MS knows about this problem and has a knowledge base article on it. http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q179/8/75.ASP
I still haven't figured out how I caused the problem in the first place though.
Art

On 01 Nov 2003, Wood Butcher spake unto rec.woodworking:

    THANK YOU!!! I've had this same problem for a year now, and could not find a solution anywhere. How nice to be able to sort columns again, without the whole right-click>arrange icons>by Name/Type/Size/Date rigamarole. You da man!
You could try going out to the MS site and installing the patches/fixes for Explorer. Might fix it. Be careful though - I think there's some issue with upgrading to Explorer 6 (as in, you don't want to upgrade quite that far).
Renata
wrote:

smart, not dumb for email
I don't understand how that would help my problem with windows explorer. Please explain.
Art