OT -- Windows 8

Page 5 of 5
Gramp's shop wrote:

The "junk" is not from Microsoft. It was installed by the laptop manufacturer to make a few bucks. Fortunately, it's easy to get rid of.
Download and run "PC Decrapifier," and handy program that will walk you through removing unwanted stuff.
Available here: http://pcdecrapifier.com/
For crap not on Decrapifier's list, you should also have in your toolkit "Revo Uninstaller."
On 3/8/2013 8:10 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

they let a few nutjobs take over the design of this OS when the A-team was out to lunch. Nothing is intuitive. Simple things, like moving a file from one folder to another, require one to use Explorer. Even "my computer" no longer resides on the desktop. There are two interfaces -- the tiles version and one that kinda mimics the familiar XP version. The former is loaded with a lot of junk.

About a year ago I started thinking it was time to replace my old laptop (Windows XP). I kept hearing negatives about the upcoming Win 8 (programming for 42 years gives me access to all sorts of goodie info), so back in September I picked up an HP laptop with Win 7 on it. I feel for those who are now having to deal with Win 8.
Matt

I haven't played with Windows 8 much, so the jury's still out as far as I'm concerned. However, I'm not liking what I see. Windows 7 got most of the Desktop UI right, and actually set the bar very high for the next version of Windows. (I'd like to go into the office of the guy who turned autosort on all the time and start rearranging his stuff automatically. Grab the pencil right out of his hand, too.)
What I don't understand is Windows RT. They put that on the cheap version of the Surface tablet and waited almost 4 months to release the full version. What good is Windows if you can't run Windows programs?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

No one understands that ... that was a stupid move on Ballmer's part, and you can't fix stupid.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 3/8/2013 9:10 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

they let a few nutjobs take over the design of this OS when the A-team was out to lunch. Nothing is intuitive. Simple things, like moving a file from one folder to another, require one to use Explorer. Even "my computer" no longer resides on the desktop. There are two interfaces -- the tiles version and one that kinda mimics the familiar XP version. The former is loaded with a lot of junk.

You might consider this program to make the transition easier and more like home.
http://stardock.com/products/start8/
On 3/8/2013 10:10 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

they let a few nutjobs take over the design of this OS when the A-team was out to lunch. Nothing is intuitive. Simple things, like moving a file from one folder to another, require one to use Explorer. Even "my computer" no longer resides on the desktop. There are two interfaces -- the tiles version and one that kinda mimics the familiar XP version. The former is loaded with a lot of junk.

An office mate just returned his new Win 8 laptop, and paid more to get a Win 7 machine. He said it was the worst piece of Garbage he has seen for a laptop. It is really geared for tablets, but I am hearing from others it's not as good as the IPAD.
As far as Win7 I was lucky enough to buy my laptop before win8 came out. It's ok, some nice features. I miss the shortcuts of hitting start and typing a letter and firing off my program, now it brings up a search of all programs that start with that letter. The problem is it requires you to mouse rather than hit return. Many of the keyboard shortcuts are gone. Idiots at work.
--
Jeff

On 3/9/2013 12:41 PM, woodchucker wrote:

We've purposely raised a generation of them and now they're doing the designing and development ... you reap what you sow.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
Brought home a new laptop today with Windows 8 installed. First impression: they let a few nutjobs take over the design of this OS when the A-team was out to lunch. Nothing is intuitive. Simple things, like moving a file from one folder to another, require one to use Explorer. Even "my computer" no longer resides on the desktop. There are two interfaces -- the tiles version and one that kinda mimics the familiar XP version. The former is loaded with a lot of junk.
It's going to take me hours to get this machine set up -- hours that I could spend more enjoyably in the shop.
BTW, this is being written on my old machine, which needs to be returned to my employer come retirement date (May 3).
Larry
After considerable work, and the addition of a couple third-party utilities, I've got my Windows 8 system running so that it's almost indistinguishable from the Windows 7 system that preceded it. As a software developer, I find the Win8 UI completely useless. It's not unusual for me to be flipping among six or eight different applications that are all running at the same time and spread across two monitors. Win8's one-application-at-a-time orientation, with nothing but full-screen windows and maybe a sliver of another at the side of the screen, just doesn't work for me.
The key to the conversion was a start menu replacement called Start8 from Stardock (http://www.stardock.com /), for a big $4.99. I restored my sidebar gadget environment with another called 8GadgetPack (http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net /). The Start8 software has many options that let you avoid the Windows 8 UI experience, including booting directly into the desktop. There are other start menu replacements available, perhaps even for free, but Stardock's been in this business a long time, and Start8 is a smooth piece of software.
There's a variety of other tweaks that completed the setup. Google or Bing for Windows 8 tweaks or Windows 8 tips and you'll see a bunch of things you can do to avoid the parts of Windows 8 that you don't like.
Yeah, I know, it's a lot of work that you shouldn't have to do - that was the point of your post - but it can be done and the result is at least as good as the OS you were running before.
Tom