OT -- Windows 8

Page 4 of 5

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- "Puckdropper" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- I'll pass.
A cool Pina Colada under a palm tree on a warm beach is more my speed.
Lew

Don't believe all the naysayers about the underlying OS itself, as technically it is one of MSFT's best operating systems yet, very resource efficient, fast and relatively more secure than any MSFT consumer OS to date (notice the word "relatively", no such thing as a totally secure OS, just one that hasn't been targeted).
It is the GUI that throws everyone, and that can be infuriating because it is such a drastic sea change and humans simply don't like change. I'm not a big fan of the Win8 GUI myself, but having run it on a seven year old laptop since it came out I find myself getting used to it, and appreciating most parts of it.
Short story - because you are human you will NOT like it at first because of the GUI, but you will like the benefits of the underlying technical aspects, so try it for an extended period and see if the angst doesn't become more tempered than not ... and do keep in mind it is a first iteration, and you do have the option to use the classic desktop.
And yes, it does run Sketchup, handily.
As far as your media center:
Get a Raspberry Pi for $40 and load up xbmc:
http://lifehacker.com/5929913/build-a-xbmc-media-center-with-a-35-raspberry-pi
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 3/9/2013 8:29 AM, Swingman wrote:

My objection is to the touch interface. On anything of any size, the motion of the hands and fingers on the touch screen will create a whole new set of syndroms. The act of hold your arms outward for any lenght of time is going to create stress in the upper arm shoulder areas. To move the to the exteme for the point imaging use 70" screen with a touch screen.
"Any size" is any thing that one would use for spreadsheets, accounting, word processing, or presentation programs. Serious user will not be running these programs on a 4X6 screen.
For those people alread with movement problems, the extra arm movement will be impossible.
Personnally my screen has not icons. All of my programs are accessed from the tool bar at the bottom of the screen.
The screen is for my photographs that I use as wall paper. I don't like the idea of having the screen covered with large icons that prevent seeing the background.
On 3/9/2013 7:43 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

That is not the way things are headed, and a good argument can be made that the necessity to "hold your arms outward" is fast becoming a thing of the past, AND _particularly because of the advent of technology very similar to the Win8 GUI!_

You are with most folks ... and I actually agree with you to a large extent with regard to the Win8 GUI.
But, lets look forward to the future big picture, particularly in the context of historical human behavior/interaction with "content" presented by advances in technology (the quill pen, paper, the Gutenburg press, computers, et al).
Until the last 30 years, most of human reading and writing as been done on a horizontal surface, with a book or paper on a desk top.
It has only been in the last 50 years that the switch to a predominant vertical display has been present in human interaction with technological advances in the display of content ... basically since the advent of the computer, movie screens, etc.
There is no doubt that the vertical display (computer monitor) excels in the area of "presentation" of content, but not necessarily in the world of "design" and other similar workplace tasks, particularly with regard to "collaboration"in those areas.
Fast forward to the current cutting edge of technology where there have been many studies relating to the benefits of horizontal displays (displays built into the desktop itself), particularly in enterprise situations where collaboration is most often a necessity.
Now, take a look again at Win8 and tell me where MSFT is betting the future of computing is headed (the traditional PC, as we have known it for 30 years, is fading fast, witness declining sales and prices), particularly with regard to a more traditional human form of computer interaction. ;)
Enter tablets, mobile devices, and _horizontal displays in the workplace environment_.
IOW, it all depends on how you look at it. LOL
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ahci/2012/137686/
What's ironic is that the one's screaming the loudest about the Win8 glimpse of the future, the Enterprise (their IT departments, mostly), will most likely be the biggest beneficiaries over time.
Human's just don't like their damn cheese being moved ... <G>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

And, if you consider the recent advent of 3D in movies, I'd suggest that long before 30 years has expired, we'll be using direct interaction interfaces not too far removed from a holodeck.
On 3/9/2013 6:49 PM, Dave wrote:

I have not seen any great successes in 3D movies. There are people who because of common eye problems can not watch 3D movies.
I believe they are like the areocar and the land/water vehicles, and will always be the coming thing.
On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:22:52 -0500, Keith Nuttle

Sure, you're right, but it is still a new technology and will have problems in the beginning. Every little bit of technological experimentation will add up to the greater whole ~ eventually.
On 3/9/2013 8:44 AM, Swingman wrote:

Why Win8?
Here's one reason why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sugmA-pll4k
#!
Go to 5:30 for a glimpse of what MSFT is preparing for.
Reminds of when the dude whispered "plastics" in Dustin Hoffman's ear ... can you spell Graphene?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/the-graphene-story-how-andrei-geim-and-kostya-novoselov-hit-on-a-scientific-breakthrough-that-changed-the-world-by-playing-with-sticky-tape-8539743.html
--
On 3/22/2013 1:11 PM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/the-graphene-story-how-andrei-geim-and-kostya-novoselov-hit-on-a-scientific-breakthrough-that-changed-the-world-by-playing-with-sticky-tape-8539743.html

Bind the stuff edge-on to a steel blade. That would take Scary Sharp to a whole new level.

Sure: grafeen
On 3/9/2013 7:43 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I had not even thought of that. My big objection has always been the finger prints on the screen, something that is a constant situation with my iPad and iPhone.

Dealt with that problem on a previous phone with a screen protector. Not necessary as much with my current phone which has Gorilla glass.
On 3/9/2013 1:26 AM, Bill wrote:

There aren't that many touch screens around Bill, not for laptops or desktops. They are mostly tablets... so win8 is a miss.
As far as what Swingy said, really when you work at a screen all day and need to do what I do, you need a keyboard. Touching a screen to type is just ridiculous. putting your fingers where you need to view too.
I'm not against the tablet for many worker types. But they are not for every type of worker.
--
Jeff

On 3/9/2013 4:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:

My question has always been - why just one product for all markets? Microsoft is big enough to support more than one, IMHO.
Why foist a touch screen GUI off on desktops?

Microsoft asked that question and came up with an answer: They'll turn on features for different OS levels and turn off other, less relavent features at others. (Most system admins don't want to see Solitaire and Freecell installed by default on a server.)
That's why there's Home, Pro, Enterprise and all those other editions.
Why not have two shells? Most people won't understand why their tablet displays one thing while their desktop displays another. Education is expensive, and will probably be deemed not worth it.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 3/10/2013 10:47 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I believe the real reason is they want different pricing tiers.

The only reason to buy W8 is if you have a touch screen. Right now your best bet is to find a unit sitting on the shelf with W7. I got an email from Acer yesterday and they still have a couple to sell in their clearance page.
On 3/8/2013 10:10 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

they let a few nutjobs take over the design of this OS when the A-team was out to lunch. Nothing is intuitive. Simple things, like moving a file from one folder to another, require one to use Explorer. Even "my computer" no longer resides on the desktop. There are two interfaces -- the tiles version and one that kinda mimics the familiar XP version. The former is loaded with a lot of junk.

Visit:
alt.comp.os.windows-8
for the inevitable questions about this strange and wonderful O_0 new M$ offering. They are clearly catering to the can't be bothered to orally communicate (or even look where they are going) smart phone crowd.
There are a number of add-ons to make it act like Win7, but if you came from XP, woe to you! Abandon all hope as you are now a neophyte all over again. If you choose door #1 and go for one of the add-ons you may also need to visit:
alt.windows7.general
Good luck and have fun!
John
Gramp's shop wrote:

Which is one of the primary reasons I run Linux (PCLinuxOS to be exact). The other reason is the simple fact that it is totally free AND I can check ou the OS before I install it.
Deb
On 3/9/2013 4:34 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

Which brings to mind an old classic:
"What if Operating Systems were Airlines ?"
Unix Airlines
Each passenger brings a piece of the airplane and a box of tools to the airport. They gather on the tarmac, arguing constantly about what kind of plane they want to build and how to put it together. Eventually, they build several different aircraft, but give them all the same name. Some passengers actually reach their destinations. All passengers believe they got there.
or
Linux Airlines
Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"
or
Windows Air
The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.
Windows NT Air/Windows XP/Windows/7
Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.
Mac Airlines
All the stewards, stewardesses, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look the same, act the same, and talk the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are told you don't need to know, don't want to know, and would you please return to your seat and watch the movie.