OT -- Windows 8

Thanks, I've used XFCE in the past and I'm inclined to switch to Mint when support for lucid ends this year.

Reply to
Larry W

It's hard to believe the "nonsense" of putting Windows8 on a laptop or desktop without a touch screen has made it this far.

With a little time, I expect the consumer will guide them to improve this, like they did with Windows Vista.

Regarding Linux: As Swingman said(I'm paraphrasing), people will use the software and OSwhich best meets their needs.

Unfortunately $$$ is a big, invisible, part of the game too. It reminds me of the ridiculous amount of time I spent yesterday looking for a "D-Grip shovel handlegrip" for a snow shovel. They are not sold by any stores separately because they want you to buy a new shovel instead. There is basically 1 on Amazon and 1 on E-Bay(which I bought), period. So that's my analogy: Linux is like the shovel handle grip which is not profitable enough for commercial entities to embrace.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

In retrospect, instead of making a poor analogy, maybe I should just say that "Microsoft OS will not be replaced without a fight (from them)!

Reply to
Bill

Swingman wrote in news:j9GdncLtZO97NqHMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I put it on a switchable powerstrip. Only the Verizon DVR stays on.

Reply to
Han

----------------------------------------------- What's a snow shovel?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My wife came home with a 3-pack of these (one control, 3 outlets for $10). Very handy if you have switch-controlled outlets. For instance, if you have 2 lamps plugged into one of the outlets, you can turn each of the lamps on and off without leaving the comfort of wherever you are.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Ours is just an old powerstrip with a single switch for all outlets, plus

1 or 2 outlets that remain unswitched. It's an old computer surge suppressor strip, clunky and rather unsightly, but it works fine.

But thanks for the idea of those remote switches. Will buy something like that for my basement workshop and laundry area!! No Menards near New Jersey though ...

Reply to
Han

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:20:03 -0500, Leon

Well, if you knew you weren't going to like the new operating system, you wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

But, I'm willing to admit that I've done worse. Bought my first tablet back in March of last year. Bought a case for it, optional keyboard, SD card, the whole works. Cost me $1000. Used if for about a month and hated it. Just too difficult for me to get around with it in the chair. Ended up selling it for $500.

Three months later, bought a smartphone. Basically the same as the tablet, but much more portable. Love it.

Sometimes you just don't know if you're going to hate or like something until you actually use it a bit. Usually, that finding out costs you money.

Reply to
Dave

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 06:55:14 -0700, Doug Winterburn

Oh ouch, that hurts. You're just plain *mean*!

Reply to
Dave

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:06:07 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

In this current technological age, it's one of these.

Dave

As I said a while back, we all use the slurs we misunderstand best...

Reply to
Richard

I have one remote left (of three) that looks something like a wall light switch, but is in fact a remote switch.

As for the TV and VCR/DVD/recorder/CD/amplifier stack, they get turned on only as needed (switched power strip). None of that stuff really turns itself off any more. Some of those toys are really bad power pigs. The light bill went down $30 a month...

Reply to
Richard

I wonder what "other" is?

Linux will always have a small share. It doesn't force hardware sellers into exclusive agreements, it doesn't advertise except by word of mouth, and it requires a user to have a bit more computer savvy than MS or Apple systems.

And, to be fair, it is lacking in some areas, like CAD and high end games.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

----------------------------------------- "Dave" wrote:

----------------------------------------- Strange looking device.

Can it be used on the Bar-B-Q?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, I didn't mean *ALL* windows users, only the kool aid ones ;-)

BTW, I wonder how may linux dissers have android tablets or phones?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

---------------------------------------------- Have a lot or respect for Windows, I see.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:513d18bc$0$38086 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

No, but some of the older ones [snow blowers] that don't wrap all the working parts in plastic can be used to drive woodworking tools like Jointers. Maybe even a saw if your saw uses the right belt.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Richard wrote in news:G9SdnY3JHozDXKbMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Microsoft asked that question and came up with an answer: They'll turn on features for different OS levels and turn off other, less relavent features at others. (Most system admins don't want to see Solitaire and Freecell installed by default on a server.)

That's why there's Home, Pro, Enterprise and all those other editions.

Why not have two shells? Most people won't understand why their tablet displays one thing while their desktop displays another. Education is expensive, and will probably be deemed not worth it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

-------------------------------------------- "Puckdr> No, but some of the older ones [snow blowers] that don't wrap all > the

A cool Pina Colada under a palm tree on a warm beach is more my speed.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I first saw the Netbooks with a 10" screen, I thought it was crazy to buy a tiny computer like that. Keyboard is too small, limited power, etc, etc.

I saw one on sale for $180 so I figured I try in on a trip. That little machine had been to four countries, a dozen states and will go to a dozen more in May. Sometimes it sits on my belly when I'm in the recliner in front of the TV.

My wife has a 17" laptop that never leaves the house. Too damned heavy to drag around an airport or in and out of hotel rooms.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski