OT -- Windows 8

Page 3 of 5
On 3/9/2013 10:58 PM, Bill wrote:

have a mini HDMI connector, some have neither, shop carefully.
You can make Win8 behave somewhat like 7 with a few additions, depends what you want. I mostly avoid the touchy feely interface, but the internals of Win8 seem much smoother than earlier versions, and it is very stable.
--
Froz...

I wonder if DG is still selling W7 or if the web page has just not been updated. All of these list W7 system http://dgcomputerconsulting.com/Products.html#cat=3
I've bought about 25 computers from him over the years, home and work.

There's several things you can do. You can run Windows 8 in classic mode with a start menu. It would still be Windows 8, but look similar to Windows 7. http://www.howtogeek.com/107711/how-to-get-the-classic-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/
The alternative is if you don't like Windows 8 and can't get used to it, you can downgrade it to Windows 7. But, you have to make sure that the copy of Windows 8 that you've got or plan to purchase, can be downgraded. Not all versions have that option. http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-windows-8-pro-to-windows-7/
On 3/10/2013 4:03 AM, Dave wrote:

http://www.howtogeek.com/107711/how-to-get-the-classic-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

How that is funny! You have to pay extra when buying a program to be able to revert it back to its predecessor.
On 3/10/2013 10:20 AM, Leon wrote:

No funnier than when someone moans and groans to me that they spent an hour trying to figure out to turn off their new Win8 computer.
How do you turn off your farking TV, eh?? LOL
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I put it on a switchable powerstrip. Only the Verizon DVR stays on.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

My wife came home with a 3-pack of these (one control, 3 outlets for $10). Very handy if you have switch-controlled outlets. For instance, if you have 2 lamps plugged into one of the outlets, you can turn each of the lamps on and off without leaving the comfort of wherever you are.
http://www.menards.com/main/see-more/home-accessibility/kitchen-laundry-accessibility/lighting-switches/indoor-wireless-remote-outlet/p-1477248-c-12683.htm
Bill

Ours is just an old powerstrip with a single switch for all outlets, plus 1 or 2 outlets that remain unswitched. It's an old computer surge suppressor strip, clunky and rather unsightly, but it works fine.
But thanks for the idea of those remote switches. Will buy something like that for my basement workshop and laundry area!! No Menards near New Jersey though ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/10/2013 3:33 PM, Han wrote:

I have one remote left (of three) that looks something like a wall light switch, but is in fact a remote switch.
As for the TV and VCR/DVD/recorder/CD/amplifier stack, they get turned on only as needed (switched power strip). None of that stuff really turns itself off any more. Some of those toys are really bad power pigs. The light bill went down $30 a month...

Well, if you knew you weren't going to like the new operating system, you wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
But, I'm willing to admit that I've done worse. Bought my first tablet back in March of last year. Bought a case for it, optional keyboard, SD card, the whole works. Cost me $1000. Used if for about a month and hated it. Just too difficult for me to get around with it in the chair. Ended up selling it for $500.
Three months later, bought a smartphone. Basically the same as the tablet, but much more portable. Love it.
Sometimes you just don't know if you're going to hate or like something until you actually use it a bit. Usually, that finding out costs you money.

When I first saw the Netbooks with a 10" screen, I thought it was crazy to buy a tiny computer like that. Keyboard is too small, limited power, etc, etc.
I saw one on sale for $180 so I figured I try in on a trip. That little machine had been to four countries, a dozen states and will go to a dozen more in May. Sometimes it sits on my belly when I'm in the recliner in front of the TV.
My wife has a 17" laptop that never leaves the house. Too damned heavy to drag around an airport or in and out of hotel rooms.

So, does all this realized "Like" make you want to buy one more powerful or perhaps a little bit more tricked out?

I did upgrade the RAM from 1G to 2G. Otherwise, it works well enough. There is no CD drive but I've not really missed it. I still use the desktop for most stuff requiring serious typing.
On 3/11/2013 6:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Same here - MOL. Bought the MSI netbook with a decent HD and RAM and it's served its purpose quite well for travel, etc. With Wi-Fi and BT built in, quite handy to tether to my old Smart Phone or use now with the built-in hot spot with my current Galaxy SIII. I can surf the internet, gather mail or work just about anywhere.
The lack of CD-Rom drive never a problem, just log on to the network at the home or office via Wi-Fi or wire. If those weren't available, then it was "sneaker net" using a thumb drive.
Of course, that's old technology lo these many three years later<g> and I find myself almost as capable as a road warrior carrying a 10 tablet with me with much less weight and way more battery time.
Dave wrote:

http://www.howtogeek.com/107711/how-to-get-the-classic-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

It's hard to believe the "nonsense" of putting Windows8 on a laptop or desktop without a touch screen has made it this far.
With a little time, I expect the consumer will guide them to improve this, like they did with Windows Vista.
Regarding Linux: As Swingman said(I'm paraphrasing), people will use the software and OSwhich best meets their needs.
Unfortunately $$$ is a big, invisible, part of the game too. It reminds me of the ridiculous amount of time I spent yesterday looking for a "D-Grip shovel handlegrip" for a snow shovel. They are not sold by any stores separately because they want you to buy a new shovel instead. There is basically 1 on Amazon and 1 on E-Bay(which I bought), period. So that's my analogy: Linux is like the shovel handle grip which is not profitable enough for commercial entities to embrace.
Bill
Bill wrote:

http://www.howtogeek.com/107711/how-to-get-the-classic-start-menu-back-in-windows-8 /

that "Microsoft OS will not be replaced without a fight (from them)!

Bill wrote:

What's a snow shovel?
Lew
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:06:07 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

In this current technological age, it's one of these. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/electric-power-shovel-snowblower/938847
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Strange looking device.
Can it be used on the Bar-B-Q?
Lew

No, but some of the older ones [snow blowers] that don't wrap all the working parts in plastic can be used to drive woodworking tools like Jointers. Maybe even a saw if your saw uses the right belt.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.