OT Who knew? Oil Springs, ON, struck first oil.

Page 2 of 2
How about calling it a suburb of Detroit? <grin>
<clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada> wrote in message wrote:

As a born and raised Saskatchewanian (try typing that after a alco-pop or two), let me offer my $.02. The way I see it is that most Ontarioans still think of Ontario as it was when it was known as "Upper Canada" . By that measure Oil Springs likley would be in south western Upper Canada, and the rest of Ontario doesn't exist in their minds.
There used to be a fairly large contingent of people from western Ontario (Thunder Bay, Kenora, etc) who seriously thought of joining Manitoba - they have a whole lot more in common with the west than they do with the Centre of The Universe;

You want to try to get around Waterloo County, Ontario. The "twin cities" of Kitchener and waterloo share 2 main streets - Weber and King, that run parallel to each other (more or less), North, South, East and west, and cross 3 times. (North and south in Waterloo, East and west in Kitchener, nominally) Virtually nothing runs true north or south or east or west, with no neatly laid out "grid". Then go to Guelph - and Goderich (both outside the region) - goderich , on the bay, is set out like a roundhouse, while Guelph is laid out like a horseshoe. Both cities were designed by John Galt - and the plans got mixed up - putting the "railroad city" on the bay, and the "harbour city" totally landlocked.
Oh wel - makes life and travel interesting.
Robatoy wrote:

Actually the village is in the WESTERN part of the Niagara Peninsula which is in EASTERN Ontario.
Dave N

Right, David... *pats him on the head*... now Google for South Western Ontario's cities..see what you get, and where it gets you.
Robatoy wrote:

Umm, lemeesee (bouncing globe off wall), that would be north of Sydney, south of Melbourne, and left at Iceland, right?
(AIUI, it's only with the Regur-Je model of those compasses that all is truly lost.)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

...wait... I'm busy bouncing a globe off the wall... this is fun....
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:22:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Mebbe he dint correct for declination wif his Tates an he's goin mag north instead a true north.
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

You hafta stay away from True North... That's a scary place. Because if you go due South, from True North, and then go due West for a few hundred kms, then turn due North...you're back where you started...nu-uh..weird shit happens up there...
Mag North, is closer to New Foundland.. in some ways even scarier.
Just think how scary it would be were Kevin to see a box of Windsor Salt which had a picture of the mine adit on it and tried to find Warwick. (G) P D Q

You hafta stay away from True North... That's a scary place. Because if you go due South, from True North, and then go due West for a few hundred kms, then turn due North...you're back where you started...nu-uh..weird shit happens up there...
Mag North, is closer to New Foundland.. in some ways even scarier.
Kevin, my lad, you are reading your map bassackwards.
P D Q