OT: Where are the posts?

Either my news provider is having problems or I have a computer problem. Hardly any New postings to my computer.

Anyone else haviing problems with news.cogeco.ca ?

Reply to
Dan Jefferson

Many of the regulars have taken a low profile if not vacated the premises altogether. They, like me, have found that although once kindred woodworking souls, when the political flag dropped, their onetime woodworking buddy turned into an unrepentant, unreconstructed, raving idealogue. It's not much fun trying to talk woodworking intelligently with someone who's demonstrated by their political vent that they're not the brightest bulb in the marquee.

Reply to
LRod

Robatoy

Reply to
Robatoy

I see 101 posts for this morning.. That's what's been posted since I checked yesterday, anyway..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

it was like being the mayor of Holly Hill, a seriously small town sandwiched in between and completly landlocked by Daytona Beach and Ormond Beach. It's so small it doesn't even have any beachside area--all mainland. Holy Hell, as the locals derisively call it, is really small.

Then I did some reserch and come to find out, Holy Hell actually has a population more than twice Wasilla's. I looked around the local burgs for a more representative example and discovered that being mayor of Wasilla was much the same as being mayor of Flagler Beach. Except Flagler Beach still has more people.

Take a look at

and type in Flagler Beach. You can drive through it (at their mind-numbingly low speed limit) in three minutes. I can't imagine how much serious leadership experience one can obtain in governing a community of that size. I was president of a 276 unit condo once. I'd suspect it's about the same.

Reply to
LRod

This is very historical election, not because of race, women or even experience or the absence thereof but simply it is the first time ever that a Presidential candidate of one party runs directly against a VP pick from the other party. I'm sure there is a serious message in there somewhere when Obama supporters en mass obsess over a VP pick. One would think they would have more confidence in the Chicago political machine, hasn't it served Chicago well through these past faithfully corrupt years?......Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

I see. He's not only black, has a funny name and has big ears..but OMG!!! He's from CHICAGO!!! Where Ayers and Capone And WIND come from....!!! OMG Head for the hills!!!!

The line is to the right, Rod.. go stand there with the other narrow minded people.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Narrow minded."

AKA: My way or the highway.

AKA: The far right religious.

Seems like we have been there.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Dan - come back in six or so months.

This group, like so many unmoderated groups is following politics.

You can see this easily; it took exactly ZERO posts to turn this into political vomit over your simple question of whether or not

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

It's not so much that Palin is so unqualified that the McCain campaign is keeping her on a very tight rein, it's what her selection says about McCain.

What it says to me is that he's getting desperate and all of his (according to him) high principles are nothing more than rhetoric.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Indeed. If Obama chose to be cruel, he could have John rolling the steel balls in his hand and mumbling about strawberries.

tom watson

"Larry Blanchard" wrote

At one time McCain actually had some principles. Then he ran for prez. I suppose you could say he fell under the influence of evil campaign managers. It seems like some kind of disease or something.

I know many republicans did not like McCain and only settled on him because he was their only hope of an electable candidate. He sure doesn't sound like a "maverick" now. Or electable.

What I am wondering is who are the republicans going to field as a candidate next time around?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

What about the potted palm?

Just curious Tom, were you even out of diapers when that book was published?

BTW, the film left out a whole lot of that book out of it.

I was disappointed.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What it truly reveals to me is what a cynical view of the process he has.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew:

The book was written in 1951.

The movie was done in 1954.

I was born in 1950.

I've read Wouk's book.

I've watched the movie.

Movies can't do what books can do.

Books can't do what movies can do.

I have to tell you that I best remember Bogie's Queeg, shuffling the balls.

I also have to tell you that I think that Captain McCain is perilously close to being able to repeat the performance.

tom watson

Except for your birth year, I knew, which is why I asked the question.

That makes two of us.

So do I, which was probably the highlight of the film.

You want an arguement, change the subject.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The closest thing that I've seen to it in modern movies is Nicholson's saying, "You can't handle the truth", in A Few Good Men.

By saying that it was the closest I do not mean that it was close.

I've seen The Caine Mutiny Court Martial done on stage several times. The most memorable was when Michael Moriarity did it at Circle In The Square in Manhattan.

It reminded me of Lloyd Benson's comment to Dannyboy, "I knew Humphrey Bogart, Michael, you're no Humphrey Bogart."

tom watson

IMHO, he's not capable of such a performance.

What has become abundantly clear is why he finished almost at the bottom of his class.

The Acadamy had him figured out a long time ago.

Shooting from the hip can provide a lot of flair, but can be very short on substance.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett