OT - What the hell are we coming to?

Page 4 of 6
Steve wrote:

If he is suffering from a malady that makes him incompetent to serve in such a position, he should step down. He wouldn't be allowed to pilot an airplane, a position in which he could only kill or maim 150 people, nor would he be allowed to operate heavy construction equipment that could kill a few dozens at a time or commercial truck driver where he may only kill a few people. But be a legislator and make decisions affecting the lives of 330 million people? Sure! No problem!

Rob Leatham
LDosser wrote:

Yep, the formerly Great Britain is done, stick a fork in it.

Rob Leatham

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262305/Council-need-JCB-dumped-mattress.html
That's nothing, going to jail for defending your family against armed home-invasion robbers, now that's nuts:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244668/Millionaire-businessman-Munir-Hussain-walks-free-court-jail-sentence-attacking-knife-wielding-burglar-overturned.html
Robatoy wrote:

That, along with the stories about grocers not even being able to give away "substandard -- i.e., too small but still good and edible" fruit just give evidence to the fact that Great Britain is done.

Rob Leatham

I watch with great interest what France is going to do with the No- Veil legislation.
On 3/31/2010 10:34 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Wait until you see the no-veal legislation ...
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:26:56 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita

It happened here, too. The great masses of perfectly good food (which are tossed into dumpsters nationwide on a daily basis) are banned from harvest by the homeless, who "might get food poisoning from it." Of course, if they don't get it, they'll die, but that's not the fault of the Department of Health, so they claim.
And our gov't pays farmers to produce less (and to destroy perfectly good grains) so the prices stabilize. Screw the starving.
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
In wrote:

And these are the ones that are going to give us healthcare<UGH>
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:19:49 -0600, the infamous "ChairMan"

PREcisely. And <UGH> doesn't _even_ cover it.
BOHICA.
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
On 04/01/2010 10:49 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm curious what you think should be done. Suppose there's enough grain flooding the markets that prices are low and nobody will make money. Do we:
1) let the farmers all lose money, forcing the marginal ones out of business 2) have the government pay the farmers to destroy grain and not plant so much 3) have the government pay the farmers market rate for the grain, thus triggering sanctions from other countries because we're subsidizing our farmers
If we pick option 3, then we also need to decide what to do with it. Do we give it away to poor people (depressing grain prices further and pissing off the remaining farmers)? Do we give it away to other countries?
It's not a simple issue.
Chris
PS. Apparently you can now get corn-based cat litter and diapers. Freaky.

The corn based cat litter is made from the cobs and is better than the other stuff. Almost Zero dust.

*If* you can get your cat to use it. Some cats are pretty particular.

Been lucky that way. All three of ours are pretty laid back when it comes to litter. Food, OTOH ...

There, I've been really lucky. My little girl is the most problem free cat I've ever had. She eats kibble, drinks water and that's it. I've tried several canned and packaged varieties of moist cat food and she's just not interested.
As far as the litter goes, not once in five years I've had her has she not used the litter box. I'm not even remotely interested in taking a chance with some other brand, even if it is biodegradable.
"LDosser" wrote:

Shades of the two holer out back equipped with red and white corn cobs.
Used a red cob followed by a white cob to see if you needed to use another red cob.
Lew

Praise be, I've never had to resort to corn cobs! Sears catalog, newspaper, leaves, volcanic ash, but not cobs ...
Cats only get the one shade! :()
"LDosser" wrote:

I was probably 6-7 years old when my Dad told me that one.
It was about the same time he pointed out a round barn as we were driving and told me a guy had killed himself in that barn.
Seems the guy ran himself to death looking for a corner where he could take a pee.
Lew

LOL!!
LDosser wrote:

OK, I'm not getting the volcanic ash concept.

Rob Leatham

Kinda like kitty litter, if you're in the right place with no other recourse.
I suppose regular ash might work, but the volcanic stuff has more of a cachet.