OT: What the heck is going on with the price of screws?

Page 2 of 2

The person I was replying to implied there are cheaper places to buy screws than a home center. McFeely's makes good stuff, but not cheap.
I don't need McFeely's quality to hang sheetrock.
Brian Elfert

When comparing apples to apples McFeeleys is cheap. You will normally find that their quality screws range in price from 2 cents each to 10 cents each for the big screws. Home centers usually have a bag of 6 or 7 plated cheese screws for 89 cents. I bought stainless steel 3/8" 3" long lag screws from Mcfeeleys for almost half the price of the home centers galvanized price.
(Doug Miller)

time I

cost
DOLLARS!
Hi -
In Canada - some screw imports have been assessed with a 170% duty, as China has/had been found to be "dumping"....even screws purchased from the US (if the Country of origin is China).
I suspect that this is case south of the border too....
Cheers -
Rob
Ya need to buy China screws.
Ray

It seems like this has been the case for the last 3 or 4 years. 1 lb boxes have been about 5-$6 for quite a while.
Yeah, I was at Menards yesterday after 2 years and saw 5 lb Galvanized screw in many sizes for $5, so I got about 10 boxes, but am not sure if there is any big diffrence between Galvanized and Stainless steel for furniture making or capinets. I think Galvanized sould be as good as others. MaxEN
Doug Miller wrote:

time I

cost
DOLLARS!
butt.

Galvanized will react with the moisture in some woods. Stainless is normally a bit stronger.
Are they imported? If so, with the devalued US Dollar, everything that is imported now will cost about 20% more.

DOLLARS!
Wonder what the unemployment rate is in china. Keep buying the stuff and help china to grow, . Guess it really is easier to take the less expensive medicine rather than the awful stuff. Like taking cod liver oil from a spoon mom stuck down your throat as a kid and today you take it in pill form. Yuk still shiver just thinking bout that stuff.
In lowes yesterday and bought 1 lb 1 1/4 fine thread for $4.12 and 5 lb or 1 5/8 for $19.20 Price about 10% higher then when I bought 6 months ago.

DOLLARS!
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:47:32 -0600, the inscrutable "Sweet Sawdust"

I just picked up a pound of each 1-5/8 and 3-1/2 dacronized screws from the Farmer's Supply last week for $2.00 and $2.29/lb, respectively. You guys shop at the wrong places.
I also ordered some railroad ties at $6.99 each yesterday. Spring has sprung and my wooden bridge is getting a companion planter. These #2 ties look better than the other places' #1 at $11.99 ea.
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL

I'm envious of people who have access to stores like Farmer's Supply. The best we have is Tractor Supply Company and I've never checked the prices on screws. Tractor Supply is at least a 20 mile round trip so I buy screws and such from HD or Menard's.
I go to a town of 12,000 people near Lincoln, Nebraska every year for an event. They have both a Tractor Supply and some sort of farm supply store. They also have a Super Walmart. Both hardware stores did close in the past two years though.
Brian Elfert
On 10 Feb 2005 17:14:47 GMT, the inscrutable Brian Elfert

I also use the Ace Hardware/Field's Home Improvement center 6 miles out of town here. I got a pallet of 25 RR ties for $6.99 each and the delivery of that 1.5 ton of wood was just 8 bucks. I pulled my truck shell out and started cutting the bed for the pickup crane (HF 6417) this afternoon. I'll need to use it to drag the bloody buggers around. DAYAMN, they're heavy! Farmer's Supply stopped the free delivery (they were well liked for) sometime in the last 3 years, since I got here. :(

Suckage! We're up to nearly 25k here in GP now. It's getting BUSY!
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL