OT: What the heck is going on with the price of screws?

Those are over in the other thread.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Are they imported? If so, with the devalued US Dollar, everything that is imported now will cost about 20% more.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

I assume it's the left hand thread?

Vic Baron

And I just read an article on a UK newsite about Shell posting the largest profit in British history for last year. Funny how that works.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Yeah, it's on the NPT server.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Also the US $ has devalued quite a bit in the past year. Where are the screws made? What about the steel?

Us Canadians are experts in the effects of currency devaluation after our Government spent us into the poorhouse 25 years ago.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

Funny, Exxon / Mobil posted record profits last year. And did that raise any eyebrows at the Fed....??? No... Yes wholesale oil is the most it has been for us in the US, but we are not talking record Gross Revenue, we are talking Record Net Profits. Seems like someone is bilking the consumers... I'll assume that other US based petrol companies are doing the same. Yea, I watched some machines I had my eye on go way up in price...

Highland Pairos wrote:

Reply to
tiredofspam

Wonder what the unemployment rate is in china. Keep buying the stuff and help china to grow, . Guess it really is easier to take the less expensive medicine rather than the awful stuff. Like taking cod liver oil from a spoon mom stuck down your throat as a kid and today you take it in pill form. Yuk still shiver just thinking bout that stuff.

Reply to
O D

stooped to the

Yeah, you pull that kinda stuff here and somebody comes unravelled.

Dan

Reply to
d.kessell

In lowes yesterday and bought 1 lb 1 1/4 fine thread for $4.12 and 5 lb or

1 5/8 for $19.20 Price about 10% higher then when I bought 6 months ago.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:47:32 -0600, the inscrutable "Sweet Sawdust" spake:

I just picked up a pound of each 1-5/8 and 3-1/2 dacronized screws from the Farmer's Supply last week for $2.00 and $2.29/lb, respectively. You guys shop at the wrong places.

I also ordered some railroad ties at $6.99 each yesterday. Spring has sprung and my wooden bridge is getting a companion planter. These #2 ties look better than the other places' #1 at $11.99 ea.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm envious of people who have access to stores like Farmer's Supply. The best we have is Tractor Supply Company and I've never checked the prices on screws. Tractor Supply is at least a 20 mile round trip so I buy screws and such from HD or Menard's.

I go to a town of 12,000 people near Lincoln, Nebraska every year for an event. They have both a Tractor Supply and some sort of farm supply store. They also have a Super Walmart. Both hardware stores did close in the past two years though.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

On 10 Feb 2005 17:14:47 GMT, the inscrutable Brian Elfert spake:

I also use the Ace Hardware/Field's Home Improvement center 6 miles out of town here. I got a pallet of 25 RR ties for $6.99 each and the delivery of that 1.5 ton of wood was just 8 bucks. I pulled my truck shell out and started cutting the bed for the pickup crane (HF 6417) this afternoon. I'll need to use it to drag the bloody buggers around. DAYAMN, they're heavy! Farmer's Supply stopped the free delivery (they were well liked for) sometime in the last 3 years, since I got here. :(

Suckage! We're up to nearly 25k here in GP now. It's getting BUSY!

Reply to
Larry Jaques