OT: What the heck is going on with the price of screws?

Page 1 of 2
In Lowe's yesterday... I know it's been a little while since the last time I had to buy any, but since when has a five-pound box of drywall screws cost almost twelve bucks? And five pounds of deck screws is pushing THIRTY DOLLARS! What's going on?
Price of steel/gas skyrocketing.

Sorry, what does the price of gas have to do with it?
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:56:54 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

The price of petrol pretty much affects the price of everything, since virtually every means used to move stuff around requires it.
--
Joe Wells

"The price of petrol pretty much affects the price of everything, since
virtually every means used to move stuff around requires it."
Add to that manufacturing requires some sort of energy. Even if it's coal, petroleum-based fuel is used to mine and move the coal

I must say I am disappointed. Several replies and no-one has stooped to the obvious remarks about "getting screwed". Tsk tsk.

Those are over in the other thread.

I assume it's the left hand thread?

Yeah, it's on the NPT server.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Yeah, you pull that kinda stuff here and somebody comes unravelled.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

Fuel is used to haul the iron ore/scrap steel to the steel mill. Fuel is used again to haul the steel to the screw plant, and finally fuel is used to get the screws to your local store.
Brian Elfert
Sorta hard to make steel without furnances/smelters/etc. Cost for producting that heat is a major factor in the cost of making and recycling steel
John
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:56:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

In our small company the price of natural gas is going to be $40,000 more than last year, the price of electricity about $60,000. Where do we get that money from?
Companies that make screws use the same utilities, plus, the price of steel has gone crazy. Even the box the screw come in is probably 25% more than a year ago. This sis the trickle down effect, but it is more cascade than trickle.
And I just read an article on a UK newsite about Shell posting the largest profit in British history for last year. Funny how that works.
SteveP.

Funny, Exxon / Mobil posted record profits last year. And did that raise any eyebrows at the Fed....??? No... Yes wholesale oil is the most it has been for us in the US, but we are not talking record Gross Revenue, we are talking Record Net Profits. Seems like someone is bilking the consumers... I'll assume that other US based petrol companies are doing the same. Yea, I watched some machines I had my eye on go way up in price...
Highland Pairos wrote:

Seeker wrote:

screws made? What about the steel?
Us Canadians are experts in the effects of currency devaluation after our Government spent us into the poorhouse 25 years ago.
Rob
Must be using a lot of screws buiilding that dam in China...
Doug Miller wrote:

5# of deck screws - 3" coated for ACQ should be more like $15, but not at the home centers.
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:34:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Where should one buy drywall/construction/deck screws if not a home center?
I certainly wouldn't buy screws for woodworking at a home center, but I am finishing my basement as a shop that requires a fair number of screws for drywall and such.
Brian Elfert
I've pretty much gone to ordering ALL my screws online, usually from McFeely's - and they DO have "genuine drywall screws" for sale in the catalog, as well as deck screws, lag screws, just about anything you want if it is a screw. Not necessarily the CHEAPEST prices, but definitely QUALITY products
John