OT: What's Up With Kansas?

Page 2 of 2

news:b7d84018-88e4-4ca5-9a46-

"Squids."
"Charlie Self" wrote:

more
Marine
SFWIW, my former boss spends Sunday morning polishing his shoes using his marine corp issue shoe brush that is now approaching 50 years in age.
Same boss walked into a bar here in SoCal a few years ago to find his Paris Island DI behind the bar.
As the old saying goes, "... you can run but you can't hide."
Lew

Especially in SoCal, with Pendleton so near. I guess I get a break: I'm 1-3/4 states away from Parris Island and I doubt very much any of my dirll instructors would recognize me...I checked out the grad book a few weeks ago, and came to the conclusion that we for the most part consisted of Adam's apples and ears. That's not the case 50 years later. Fifty years plus one month, almost to the day.
"Charlie Self" wrote:

Pure coincidence, both these guys are east coast.
Former boss didn't come to SoCal till late 70s, don't know about DI.
Former boss has never set foot on Pendleton soil.
About as close as he has come is on the I-5 as he passes thru Oceanside.
Lew

I set foot on Pendleton soil, in very early '59. I wasn't sorry to leave a month later. Old Smokey ain't all that much fun.

Brilliant visual. I hope it's yours.

As far as I know. I don't recall reading it anywhere, and it sure is the impression with those tiny b&w photos.
I wonder what they're doing with those "yearbooks" now, with modern techniques and digital photography. God knows, some of the b&w is remarkable for its clarity for the time.
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:09:16 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Wouldn't mind running into mine. Be nice to visit a bit. Despite what he put us through, I had a great deal of respect for them, particularly my senior DI. I think most did.
Frank

Met mine seven years later, and he was kind enough to pin on my butter bars, SWMBO being unable to travel.
Still marvel at the way he could drawl a four-letter expletive into seven syllables.

Yeah. Best I've ever done is about 3-1/2.

You hate the SOBs during early weeks, but by week #8 or #9, that changes, in my experience. I ran into one of the junior drill instructors in Jacksonville, FL in the latter part of the year ('58), and we had a few beers together. Jim Lucy. He was the best of the bunch, IMO, but they were all pretty durned good at what they did.
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 07:30:36 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self

Yep, SDI was R. J. Dellett. Toughest individual I've ever been around. When we did PT he seemed to do twice what we did. Easy to be inspired to do well.
Thinking back to Parris Island, I was most impressed by how well run it was. Never a minute lost or wasted.
Frank

Oh, jeez, these morning runs around the parade ground. We used to die halfway through, whichever drill instructor was running us would be running backwards next to us, and, about halfway through, usually lit a cigaret (while running)and turned around, ran around the platoon and took the lead position.
Not exactly the politically correct example to set for today's young Marines, but it worked for us.
LRod wrote:

My Dad was a "former Chief". Took a battlefield promotion from Chief to JG and retired full Commander.

--John
Jeff wrote:

http://discussions.ottawaherald.com/article.php?sid 86&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0
Interestingly, I can't see the article. I can read all the replies, but the page where the article he wrote is supposed to be......is blank.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

That was what I saw when I followed the link. Perhaps one is required to register with the site and login or something. 'Though if that were the case, there should be some message to that effect.
I would like to see what all the furor was/is about.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Jeff wrote:

http://discussions.ottawaherald.com/article.php?sid 86&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0
Couldn't see the article.
OTOH, the above post disparaging a certain racial group in a specific geography seems somewhat offensive and exclusionary. Just try substituting "black" and "New York City" and tell me how much vitriol would be directed at a poster making such a comment.