OT: What kind of tree is this?

I live in the Dallas suburbs and nobody seems to know what my tree is. I don't plan on hacking it down or anything, but I figured some of you woodworkers might know what they look like with the bark still on :)

Jay

If you ever prune off a limb large enough to get a 1"x3"x6" sample out of, the US Forest Service will identify it for you--they'll do up to 5 a year free of charge for US citizens. For more information see .

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's a great resource, thanks. Now I have to find something I want identified!

Reply to
John

Though its natural range doesn't fit your geographic area I'm making a first guess at:

American Chestnut

What do the mature leaves measure in length and width? Does the tree produce any fruit or seed? Does the tree flower - (if so, describe the flower color and size)?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

No fruit, seed, or flower that I can tell. In the spring (late april) it produces piles of amber-colored stringy stuff about 6 inches long that gets all over everything.

The leaves are about 6-8 inches long fully grown.

Thanks for the help,

Jay

Reply to
Jay