OT: What is Al going to do for a living now?

Page 6 of 6
@swbelldotnet says...

Chernobyl is the only one that counts as "personal doomsday". Evacuation around TMI was temporary and precautionary. The tsunami was more of a "personal doomsday" at Fukushima than anything relating to the reactor. The reactor gets all the airtime but it's a sideshow in the real disaster.

Yes, unfortunate, but auto accidents in the USA take more lives in a year than the total sum of nuclear accidents have since their _inception_.
"The China Syndrome" is not real, but people still fear it.
-- Worry is a misuse of imagination. -- Dan Zadra

Most die because someone wasn't following the rules (e.g. Massey).
--
Best regards
Han

That's why I am leery of the people who are screaming let's alter the climate and send up some rockets with a screening powder (so to speak) and make some good upper atmosphere clouds to screen some of the sun's radiation.
LOL
--
Best regards
Han

This just in: The Forbes article is just a bunch of hot air, and represents bad research: <http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/07/29/no-new-data - does-not-blow-a-gaping-hole-in-global-warming-alarmism/> or: http://tinyurl.com/3n4u9q6
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/29/2011 12:09 PM, Han wrote:

A modest proposal: Let's allow scientific method and peer review, which in the case of the subject research case has obviously passed the "essential to academic quality" test by being published under the auspices of a respected university, to sort out the research paper's ultimate worth, not the slobbering of some left/right wing blog.
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Yes, let us do that. I was just referring to a general discussion of the work of Spencer and Braswell, and the paper in Remote Sensing in particular, and I have pointed out my initial doubts and the doubts of the scientific community.
To recapitulate: The editorial in Forbes by Taylor (who definitely has an opinion against the global warming hypothesis) elevates a scientific article to gospel, and exagerates its conclusions way out of proportion. The scientific publication (Spencer and Braswell) properly points out that measurements and theories have inherent errors, systematic and otherwise, which make the phenomenon of global warming a bit more difficult to quantify and extrapolate. However, and this is truly a VERY REAL BIG POINT, the article and the authors have engendered increasing doubts in the science community that they are impartial and/or "good" scientists. I don't know them personally and I myself am not qualified to judge the work, so I can only rely on others for their evaluations.
I know very well that what sounds at first as a real good idea is sometimes later found out not to be so good. And vice versa.
Nevertheless, before it is too late, let us heed warnings that it might not be a good idea to fill the atmosphere with greenhouse gases. It is just so we later don't have to say, too bad, it was just one of those unintended consequences.
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/29/2011 4:59 PM, Han wrote:

lOL ... but you continue to editorialize with "yabbuts", Han. Stop it! :)

My point, once again: Let's not fall in the trap of discounting, out of hand, ANY research paper which may provide clues to that aim, regardless of its source.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

And we know bloggers are never, ever wrong... Another of Discover mag's unbiased writers is here: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/tag/media-bias / Note the titles of his books, too. <sigh>
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai

I'm not going to read a diatribe against Fox news. I already know Fox and Murdoch are ALWAYS wrong.
Larry, don't believe everything you read. The Dutch saying is "Hij liegt als of het gedrukt staat" or "He is lying as if it were printed" .
<grin>
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/3/2011 6:50 AM, Han wrote:

In cajun: Un homme sage qui suit ses propres conseils.
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

It's a wise man who follows his own advice? (needed to use a translator for propre in this context).
Yes, indeed!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/28/2011 11:25 PM, Doug Winterburn said this:

<http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-alarmism-192334971.html The facts never much mattered before to either the "Sky Is Falling" crowd or the "It Can't Possibly Be So" crowd. When an issue divides perfectly along ideological lines, you can pretty much bet there is no science there.
That said, Gore is an opportunist, intellectual fraud, and political hack. I'm surprised he's not head of the DNC in the US...
In related news:
http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/new-paper-on-the-misdiagnosis-of-surface-temperature-feedbacks-from-variations-in-earth%E2%80%99s-radiant-energy-balance-by-spencer-and-braswell-2011 /
Tim Daneliuk
snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote in

Do you have a cite for that? Of, forget it, searching for "An Evangelical

"scientists and medical doctors like Dr. Roy W. Spencer (Principal Research Scientist in Climatology, University of Alabama, Huntsville, U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer aboard NASAs Aqua Satellite, and author of Climate Confusion: How Global Warming Hysteria Leads to Bad Science, Pandering Politicians, and Misguided Policies that Hurt the Poor)"
I rest my case ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/29/2011 8:16 PM, Han wrote: ...

Can he help if if he's right? :)

><http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-alarmism-192334971.html
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/07/29/no-new-data-does-not-blow-a-gaping-hole-in-global-warming-alarmism /
No, it's dedicated to remote sensing, which is a tool of climate science. If the tool is broken you can't do much science with it.

Wnen that "debunking" is published in a peer-reviewed journal get back to us.

Ad hominem.

More ad hominem.