OT: What is Al going to do for a living now?

Page 4 of 6
On 8/4/2011 9:24 AM, dpb wrote:

With Thunderbird, if you highlight any text before replying, only that text will be quoted in the message. If you inadvertently highlight just one letter (or just a period), just that letter will be carried over into the quote when you reply.
--
Jack
When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away!
On 8/6/2011 7:59 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

True, but that wasn't the case this time; occasionally TB (at least the installation here) just doesn't download the text...that happened in this case except I didn't notice until too late.
On 8/6/2011 8:41 AM, dpb wrote:

And, btw, I attribute it mostly to the slow dialup that causes occasional timeouts, etc., w/ the server more than TB itself...
On 8/6/2011 10:11 AM, dpb wrote:

I've been getting more of that stuff ever since upgrading to TB 5.0 and FireFox 5.0. Not sure if it's comcast (doubt it) or TB (good chance) or windows just being itself. Probably a sick combination of all 3, and I just don't give f*ck anymore...
--
Jack
Got Change: Now CHANGE IT BACK!
On 8/6/2011 7:59 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

Didn't know that ... thanks for the tip!
(The last few years I just get software to do what I need, then quit exploring other features).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

I only wish more programs were modular, so we could do without a 487MB program load with 63 gazillion functions. I want a dozen functions and a 10MB load, OK? Modularize the progs!
-- Worry is a misuse of imagination. -- Dan Zadra

Know what you mean ... at one time, in my college days, I was so infatuated by things "computer", and awed by software, that I trembled the first few times I logged on. Now I just want both to get outta my way and let me get on with things.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

That is why I do many thing in TextEdit. Just a simple word processor..sortakinda like MacWrite in its day. The spreadsheet in Appleworks is all I will ever need, especially considering that I am not planning to launch a moon-shot anytime soon. Adobe Illustrator 10 is all I ever needed, but due to a small handful of newer features, I have gone to CS5..coitenly (nyuk) don't need all the rest of as I have NO plans to start a printing/publishing/advertising company.
On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 18:28:17 -0400, Robatoy

My favorite text editor and ascii manipulator is NoteTab Pro.

I use OpenOffice for everything documentlike or spreadsheetlike. (It opens the sexy .pps files, too. Did you get the Hooters 25th? Wow!)

I have CS and Corel X5, but I don't do desktop publishing or platemaking any more. (My trusty HP5P spit out polyester plates, 4 color separations, for a friend's Multigraphics 1250 Litho a decade ago.)
-- We are always the same age inside. -- Gertrude Stein

I still miss my VT100... what a friggin' workhorse that beast was, and a driver that was ROCK solid.
Weighed about as much as a neutron star, though...
Yep - when on Dec stuff - VT100 - the coolest thing I did was log onto a customer site - onto a competitor machine - move over to two other machines of ours on site - and found out why only one at a time was on the net - same net node definitions. The work cell assigns those numbers to a machine - and the two were special and took along their numbers. The installing tech had no idea what the frick...
The cool thing - enable screen logging - so a log file of the whole process - a play back log file - was made. The work cell started using numbers off a sheet. And a white paper was made for tech support.
Martin

I was referring to the Varityper VT100 printer. One of the first production-ready laser printers.
But yeah, I did a fair bit on the command line too. Kids today... They probably don't even know how to tie an onion to their belt loop properly!

Okaaaaayyyy.. neutron starts, onions on belt-loops...is the harvest a bit early this year?
On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 13:04:28 -0400, Robatoy

Hey, at least they're not running banana brandy on the black market...
-- We are always the same age inside. -- Gertrude Stein

ROFL.
Saskatchewan isn't exactly known for its bud...
On 8/6/2011 3:57 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I *think* that was the idea behind Dynamic Link Libraries (DLL) files.
--
Jack
Got Change: And the Change SUCKS!
On 8/7/2011 11:10 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

Yes, as long as they (and the programs that load them) were coded to be loaded on demand, otherwise they are just dragged in along with the rest of the program code. Same concept applies to shared libraries on the various flavors of Unix.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 8/6/2011 10:06 AM, Swingman wrote:

I discovered the feature by doing exactly what I described above:-( I always edit messages and occasionally would highlight text before hitting the reply button. Then, realizing I was not in the reply mode, would hit reply, and poof, the text was gone. I said "hey, that's a neat feature" but, I never use it, old habits and such...

Yeah, me too.
--
Jack
Edward A. Falk wrote:

The book, "Systemantics" postulates a number of "laws" by which to judge systems. One of them, in fact the F.I.T. (Functional Indeterminacy Theorem), states:
"In complex systems, malfunction and even total non-function may not be detectable for long periods, if ever. (Such systems may, however, persist indefinitely or even expand.)"
Other applicable laws: "The mode of failure of a complex system cannot ordinarily be predicted from its structure."
"When a fail-safe system fails, it fails by failing to fail safe."