OT: what is a good windows newsreader

Page 1 of 2
I run knode on my Linux box, but sometimes I need to be booted as windows, I installed thunderbird (mozilla news & mail client) it's ok, still looking for something better and ideas?

X-News for Windows: http://xnews.newsguy.com/ a free reader and poster with a little bit of a learning curve. Works well.
Alex

I like NewsXpress and Microplanet Gravity.
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:20:06 -0600, Richard Clements

Windows: Free Agent! if you want to receive email and have other controls, then get the full version, Agent. However, FA is the best newsreader.
Bill.
I'm concur with you I have been using Forte Agent since the early nineties.

free agent
--
Just as I was getting used to yesterday, along comes today.
"Richard Clements" < snipped-for-privacy@clemnet.org> wrote in message
I like Agent http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php
There's a freeware version called Free Agent that you can start with.
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:20:06 -0600, Richard Clements

Since you've tried the rest, now try the best: Agent
you can get it at www.forteinc.com
It's not a freebie. If you want a little less full featured version, you can get freeagent. Almost as good for no $
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:20:06 -0600, Richard Clements

calmly ranted:

I paid $30 for it (after trying Free Agent for a few months and falling in love with it) and have used it for 10 years. I figure $3/yr is a good price for an excellent newsreader.
-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:54:07 -0700, Larry Jaques

Yep. Me too. I've been using for Agent 1.x for years, now Agent 2.x is out, there's a small charge to upgrade. It's peanuts for such a good program.
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:19:51 -0500, Lazarus Long

I tried the upgrade and decided that it didn't warrant the fee at all, at least not for my purposes. I'll wait for the next bug fix/feature addition, like being able to filter for more than just email address or title. I've wanted that for years now. When you plonk someone, you'd like the replies to that idiot plonked as well, knowwhatImean,Vern? Filtering message bodies is the only way to do that, and they still haven't set up for that. <sigh> Other than that, I love the prog. I've never lost a database and have lost only 3 indices in the multiple-instance daily use I've given it for ten years. It's a helluva program.
------------------------------ Gator: The other white meat! ------------------------------ http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

xnews does eveything I need a newsreader to do. xnews.newsguy.com
Patriarch
It's sooo good that I paid another $15 upgrade to version 2.

Forte agent doesn't suck. They even have a free version (oddly enough, called "Free Agent" which also doesn't suck much. I've never been happy with any of Netscape/Mozilla's newsreaders either.
Dave Hinz

pan (www.rebelbase.org/pan) is avilable for both linux and windows.
scott
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

Meant <http://pan.rebelbase.com/
scott

I'm using Agent...... right now.
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:07:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:20:06 -0600, Richard Clements

agent.
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
Hi Richard, Richard Clements wrote:

I use Mozilla Thunderbird 0.7.1 for several reasons. First of all it provides all of my needs from email to Usenet. Second of all, it's open source and essentially free. Third, its behaviour is almost completely consistent across the platforms I use--Windows, MacOS X and Linux. If you have any interest, check it out at:
www.mozilla.org
IMHO, it's Agent...free or otherwise.
It's fast and logically arranged.
I disable Outlook Express...it's the target platform for most of the infections!
DaveinFLL =========================It's not the heat, it's the humidity! =========================(..Think the humidity's bad? You should watch us vote!)