OT: What good are the random searches in NY?

Page 2 of 5

That doesn't answer the question. Try again. I'm talking about people who *do* get searched, but are clearly not a threat by any stretch of the imagination? Why would they search little old white ladies?
Doug Kanter wrote:

Why would they search "old white ladies"? My point exactly. It's a waste of time and resources. I can't imagine why you'd pick that argument with me, of all people, as I've already stated that I think it's a useless tactic. and expensive.
Dave

OK, I'll tell you, rather than clutter this thread with 300 messages before we get to the point. You said certain people will whine about racial profiling. Solution: Even if they're being sarcastic, and privately shaking their heads later, the NYPD can honestly say "No...we're searching little old white ladies, too". It's a polite way of saying "Shut the f**k up" to their critics.
Simple, yes?
Doug Kanter wrote:
It's a polite way of saying "Shut the f**k up" to

ever thought of standing up to the critics??? Look at the protest over the Patriot Act. It was enacted anyway.
And can we skip the personal comments?
Dave

What personal comments???
Doug Kanter wrote:

oh, just the rude comment about my age. :) That's not the sort of thing we should be getting into if we are to have a serious discussion on the merits of law enforcement's method of dealing with the terror threat. My point is that in order to appease a segment of society, law enforcement's efforts have been overly expensive and ineffective. I'd like to see a more focused approach taken BEFORE the next big catastrophic event.
Dave

I asked your age for a good reason. If you're young enough, you may have no idea about some of the more interesting things the FBI got away with in the late 1960s and early 1970s, with regard to surveillance. But even so, your U.S. history courses should've told you about the McCarthy era. Do not entertain any fantasies about the FBI or any other law enforcement organization knowing when to limit its own powers.
Doug Kanter wrote:

so you are equating the terrorists with some of the folks who were scrutinized back in the McCarthy era??? Wake up and notice how the world has changed in the past few years! Ham string the authorities enough, and you just might pay the price with your life.
Dave

You are going out of your way to intentinally miss his points, over and over. It's the only explanation.

...and if you think that history doesn't repeat itself, over decades and centuries, you haven't studied it well enough...
Dave Hinz
Who wrote the song "Glad to be Unhappy"? Was that Cole Porter?
Kinda sums up David. As does "boca grande, cabeza chiquita."
Maybe a hearing-impaired neo-con? Relax, David. Chill out.
TTFN, J

*I* am not equating movie stars (accused of being Communists during the McCarthy era) with terrorists, but the law enforcement community certainly did exactly that. Do you think these citizens were hauled before senate hearings to practice their acting skills? Hell...they were even sniffing around Einstein's door. Next time this happens, it may not be limited to high visibility individuals. It could be you. If you think this is OK, then you MUST be very young because you have NO idea what life was like in the USSR. Their society was like that WITHOUT threats of terrorism.
Doug Kanter wrote:

I know, I know! That was clearly unacceptable, but in today's world we have more pressing matters that require some broadening of the government's ability to ferret out the murdering bastards. To worry that they will focus on Joe Sixpack is just more paranoia in my book. the authorities have their hands full with potential real terrorists to be wasting time railroading innocent Americans. I can't believe that you really think that would be the result of the Patriot Act or similar future legislation that may be required as things heat up further.
Dave

Keep in mind that legislation is harder to get rid of than it is to put in place. Most of the legislators who spoke out against the renewal of the Patriot Act (without modifying it a bit) ended up voting to keep it, just as it is. So, saying "we need it now" sounds innocent enough until you find that it's impossible to get rid of.
By the way, my definition of paranoia involves fear of things that are imaginary. The abuses you've been told about have already happened, and they will happen again. Bank on it.
Doug Kanter wrote:

So what's the solution? Laissez-faire? You gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet. The stakes are so high, that civil rights (to some extent) will take a deserved back seat to the methods needed to thwart the terrorists. It's NECESSARY, or there won't be any more "us" to debate this issue.
Dave

OK then. You go first.
Doug Kanter wrote:

I'm not concerned about being scrutinized or abused by the government due to thier additional new powers. (The've already been there and done that and I survived and it had nothing to do with extradodinary powers granted by the Patriot Act).
Dave
David wrote:

Some people are too young to remember some things us old farts take for granted. Then again, the memory is the second to go.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

I mis-spoke earlier. His was a rude QUESTION regarding my age, rather than a COMMENT, as he knows not my age.
Dave

I told you I was not trying to offend you, but asked your age because it was (and still is) germane to this discussion. Go back and read it again. You're hearing what you want to hear. Is it possible you're not familiar with the word "germane", and that somehow causing you problems?
Doug Kanter wrote:

point taken. THEN you follow with a snide comment that I may not understand the word germane. My, my. Can we stay on topic?
Dave