OT: What are your thoughts on this?

Page 6 of 7
On 9/11/2012 9:21 AM, Dave wrote:

The "magic" words: "We hold these truths to be self-evident ..." :)

You are correct in your suggestion.
The Declaration of Independence actually uses the term "unalienable":
<quote>
"Unalienable": incapable of being alienated, that is, sold and transferred."
"You can not surrender, sell or transfer unalienable rights, they are a gift from the creator to the individual and can not under any circumstances be surrendered or taken. All individual's have unalienable rights."
</quote>
There is a legal/philosophical difference:
<quote>
"Inalienable rights": Rights which are not capable of being surrendered or transferred without the consent of the one possessing such rights.
"You can surrender, sell or transfer inalienable rights if you consent either actually or constructively. Inalienable rights are not inherent in man and can be alienated by government. Persons have inalienable rights. Most state constitutions recognize only inalienable rights."
</quote>
You can argue it all the way back to at least Aristotle and "natural law" ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Ah, but there is an over-riding "right." You almost always have the right to waive a right. Think of the Miranda warning.
I know of only one "right" that a defendant cannot waive. In Texas, a suspect cannot waive a jury trial in a capital murder case, nor can he plead guilty. That is, if indicted by a grand jury, the person MUST appear in a trial where his guilt or innocence is determined by a jury.
On 9/11/2012 6:19 PM, HeyBub wrote:

As clearly stated above, that would be a classic "inalienable right".

That is arguably still an "inalienable right", by definition, that has modified by a power (government) that can alienate.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/11/2012 7:42 AM, Swingman wrote:

Obviously, while I learned to spell _before_ I took that PS course, too many years have intervened ... placing an "i", when it should have been a "u", is a non-starter.
I stand corrected ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/10/12 7:20 PM, Swingman wrote:

We have a main drag in the middle of which are two turning lanes, one for each direction. There is a clear, solid, double yellow line separating the two. It is very common to see cars waiting to turn left, on the wrong side of the double yellow line. They are essentially driving on the wrong side of the road.
The other common idiotic occurrence is drivers who will turn onto the road from a driveway or side street and pull into the turning lane and just stop and wait for traffic to clear up so they can pull into the lane. We were taught that you could pull into the turning lane while continuing to accelerate and merge into traffic when there was room. I don't know when it because acceptable to simply park in the middle of the street.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/10/2012 7:20 PM, Swingman wrote:

And the application of a little common-sense that going by a standing-line of traffic parked in the street when there's sufficient clearance to make it easily doable is, at least where I'm from, common sense when the letter of the rule results in impasse.
Sounds like the NC cops realize the reality as well...
On 9/10/2012 10:27 PM, dpb wrote:

There is a blind hill. Look at my photos again (last one).
I could look the other way if it was just a car or two, but these are buses packed with KIDS. The reality is laziness rules.

As a single citizen, you see you have little pull about fixing this as the police don't seem to care. What really has to happen is the bus drivers do something. Like pull up behind the cars and block the road in that direction until the parked cars move. That would finally get some attention. Piss off everyone on the road and that gets media attention and the crap start to trickle down.
I don't see the YMCA liable as they are just a place that the parents are going to/from and are not condoning the practice.
On 9/10/2012 6:41 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Why haven't you contacted the YMCA and alert them give them a link to your pictures.
If the cops won't I suspect the Y will.
Then if that doesn't stop it, send a link to the television studio new dept. They love this stuff.
And if they don't keep those pics. You will be the guy that alerted everyone and no one did a damn thing. Reminds you of 9-11 which is tomorrow folks.
On 9/10/2012 8:31 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Did this on day one. No result. i sent them a link to my web post today.

I contacted a reporter of a local rag. No reply.

I contacted the school district heads and they got their buses to stop doing it. The YMCA is by far the largest violator.
I also contact the NC Dept of Public Safety. They said : "It's out of our jurisdiction." They told me to climb the chain of command at the local PD level. I started this today.
On 9/10/2012 6:41 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Just sent YMCA CEO (Neil J. Nicoll) a link to my website. Let's see if he responds.
On 9/10/2012 5:41 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Film the buses/situation, send that video to the police department, transportation department, mayor, and the media. All at the same time.
On 9/11/2012 12:05 AM, Leon wrote:

Thought about capturing it in video and posting it on YouTube. I like your idea better.
On 9/10/2012 11:08 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

If you send the evidence to every one at the same time, and cc all of this so every one knows that every one is watching and waiting for a response.... expect a lot of finger pointing.

A few years back, I took an adult ed course at a public school. We were warned about how bad the boys bathroom was. I saw it and it was a disgrace and has been for a couple of years.
A letter to the editor was all it took. Evidently, the superintendent of schools reads the morning paper and repairs were started that day.
On 9/10/12 11:08 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Youtube would probably be easier for all parties involved.
--

-MIKE-

GarageWoodworks wrote:

I think the school has some responsibility and should get involved in a better way to pick the kids up, so as not to block the street. They could widen the shoulder to accomodate a lane to wait in allowing thru traffic claer access jmo

I'm betting that nothing will happen until someone is killed or seriously injured and it results in a multimillion dollar lawsuit. That seems to be the only thing gets most people off their butts these days.
Dave wrote:

True, but it will probably take more than one death to get anything done.
On 9/10/2012 10:45 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Schools generally lack the legal authority to do what you suggest. That authority rests with the political entity that owns the roads.