OT: What are your thoughts on this?

Drivers in Europe are much more respectful of that. Hang out in the left and you will have a tailgater flashing his lights.
On 9/13/12 10:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I do that. :-) How else are these morons going to learn. Not moving over for passers on the autobahn will get you a hefty fine.
--

-MIKE-

One of my favorite places to drive is Italy. Most drivers are fast, but slow drivers move over and let them go by. On the Autostrade, if you are in the left passing a slower car, another driver will patiently wait until you do, but as soon as you get past, you are expected to move over and let a still faster car go by. It works. The left lane is heavily used by Mercedes, BMW and Audi going well above the speed limit.
On side roads, I've seen plenty of passing over the solid line and both lanes move over to make room for the guy in the middle straddling it.
You don't see people having breakfast while driving.
says...

And if that doesn't move you over, then he will likely start flashing his _other_ lights and then you will be very unhappy.
On 9/13/2012 6:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

WellI my parents had a couple of RV's and a CB radio in those vehicles and their cars. You know how you really don't notice a particular vehicle on the road until you become interested in a particular one, then you see them every where?
They never noticed the comments truckers were making about RV'ers until they started driving one. Very often they heard the RV's being referred to as "Shit Houses on Wheels". I would say that probably 80 percent of RV drivers do not drive them very long and or have very little experience driving them. The truckers see them the most.
On 9/13/2012 1:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

people returning from a day at some place like Disney world, or Six Flags.
The best way to share the road with the big ones is to drive and observe Trucker's Rules.

When the national speed limit was droopped to 55, drivers lost every single bit of their edge in driving. Everything went soft and was lost. Defensive and aggressive driving went out the window and everyone turned into a little old lady. Even in parking lots.
I got backed into once again in the parking lot yesterday. I looked both ways and was swiveling twice a second when the lady right next to me on my right backed right into me. Luckily, most of the rubber from her once-white bumper ended up on my tire and rim. But a 4" crease was made in the lower right bedside behind the tire. I looked at it and said "Awfuggit." then let her go. I can probably lose most of it with a torch and can of compressed air.
This was the second time this year some idiot backed into me without looking, both at less than 10mph. Barkin' maroons.
-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois
On 9/12/2012 9:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

The 55mph was another wishful thinking law, like the current increases mpg that they are pushing now
The the Ford Model T's got about 18-20 mpg They had low ratio in the rear ends and three speed transmissions with 1:1 high gear (1 revolution of motor to 1 revolution of the rear wheels)
My 1952 Ford Flat-head-V8 with 3 speed standard transmission and 1:1 ratio in he high gear, got about 18-20 mpg. There were some automatics of this period that got lower gas mileage and some had 2 speed transmission. Also the 1952 Ford 4-door had the capacity of my Astro van and probably was heavier.
Current cars get about 35 miles, have four to five speed transmission, higher rear ends and the top gear in the transmission is some where between gear ratio of 1.3 to 1.4 ratio. They have become so small that some normal sized people can not get into them, and the have been stripped down to the minimal weight and still able to maintain their shape. The rear ends have higher ratios so the engine need 4 gears instead of three to get to the 1:1 ratio. The 18 -20 mpg times the highest gear ratio in current cars of 1.35 plus the high rear ends equals the 35 mpg that current cars get.
Where have we improved?
To met the new standards, the transmission automakers are modifying their transmission plants to produce 6 to 8 gear transmissions. So with the new standards will we have 5 gears to get 1:1 ratio and several more gears so the final ratio is near 2.0 to get the 54 mpg?
Gasoline has a limited amount of energy per given weight of gasoline. In 100 years we have not improved the basic engine efficiency. We have spent Billions of dollars and found the best technology was fossil fuel electric engine developed for trains and submarines over 120 years ago.
How many more Billions of dollars will be spent to learn that we can not improve the automotive technology without going to small nuclear reactors.
The current environmentalist have no knowledge of basic physical limits in carbon chemistry and the electrical and solar properties of matter, so come up with the unrealistic ideas.
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:07:20 -0400, Keith Nuttle

My new car is 5 weeks old. It gets consistent 29 mpg with a 2.0 turbocharged engine and 6 speed auto. 0-60 is 5.8 seconds
Where have we improved? Compared to your older examples, it is faster, more comfortable, air conditioned, power everything, seats five comfortably, required much less maintenance, and the tires last at leas 4X longer than your '52 Ford.
I do hate to see what the 54 mpg cars will be like, but you can still get a decent sized car today.
On 9/13/2012 6:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Have you ever sat in the back seat of a 52 Ford 4 Door? There is more room in the back seat than in both seats of a modern cars. I drooled over a 1935 Chevy 2 door last week end there was more room in its back seat than in both seats of my Cobalt 2 door.
It is like southern squirrels, you look look at them and wonder how your grandparent cooked one for a meal and served four people. You then realize they were cooking fox squirrels not gray squirrels and realize it is possible. Because of the size you could do things in the back seat of the cars of the 50's that are impossible in today's cars.
Your new car still gets the same efficiency from it engine as the car of 80 years ago.

Because of my size I did things in the back seat of a Renault 4CV in the 50's that would be impossible in today's cars.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

"Swingman" wrote in message wrote:

Because of my size I did things in the back seat of a Renault 4CV in the 50's that would be impossible in today's cars.
I had a '69 TR4A and I'm [was] 6'2". But, my senior year of high school I "made do" with a hand-me-down 1950 Chevy 4-door Deluxe with a quilt for a back seat cover. It was a Deluxe because it had a heater [box] that hung below the dash. Straight six and three speed manual on the column. And ten dollar re-treads. I miss the South Main Drive-In.
Dave in Houston

Trail, King Center, or the Hempstead Drive-in ... the latter in high school.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On 9/13/2012 8:01 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Lets see here my old 79 GMC 350cid/5.7l with 165 hp got 12 mpg on the highway. My bigger 4 door 2007 Tundra with 347cid/5.7l with 380 hp gets 20 mph on the highway.
You do not see an improvement there?
On 9/13/2012 2:36 PM, Leon wrote:

are designed to pull or carry heavy loads they are geared significantly different than the standard passenger car which is designed for speed.
A truck design for load are have low gear ratios. ad passenger car has high gear ratios. This is the specs for my 2005 Astro Van the Rear end ratio is 3.42/1 The van has a 4 speed transmission with Third Gear Ratio (:1): 1.00
This is my 2002 Cavalier the Rear end ratio is 3.94/1 The car has a 5 speed transmission with Fourth Gear Ratio (:1): 0.98
If you want to compare vehicle to vehicle with out considering what it is; My JD tractor gets much better mileage that my 1986 Omni which go 37 mpg
On 9/13/2012 3:10 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Your dribble is pointless and with out direction.
On 9/13/2012 7:01 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Squirrels are rodents. Thanks, but I'll pass.
Keith Nuttle wrote:

"Just Wondering" wrote:

Ignorance is bliss.
Lew
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:01:22 -0400, Keith Nuttle

My first car was a '53 Mercury Monterey, so yes.

I don't know, I also had a Corvair. I could tell you a story about the front seat of a '59 Chevy though.

Engine efficiency is limited, but there has been much progress in other areas. I'll take any car today over anything from the '50s and a few decades with way. Aside from style that is. I'd like a '55 or '58 Chevy body on a 2013 chassis. Come to think of it, my new car is Pacific Blue Pearl Metallic. The color is not all that far from the blue of a '58 Impala that I liked. I've had quite a few nice comments about the color.
On 9/13/2012 11:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

58 Impala.