OT: What are your thoughts on this?

Page 2 of 7

But three lefts do! ;)

True, and expediency wins more often than not.
-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

How long has this been going on and how many crashes have there been? If it's been going on for 30 years and there's never been even a fender- bender then government has more important things that it should be dealing with.
On 9/11/2012 3:57 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

We only had one 9-11 and we have more important things to do so we shouldn't worry about it or prepare for another. Right?
says...

How does that follow from what I said? There _has_ been a 9/11. Has there been a crash on this road?
On 9/11/2012 5:19 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

How about this one: I've never had a car accident so I shouldn't waste my time putting on a seatbelt.
Or I've never had a kickback so I shouldn't waste my time putting in a splitter.
Any of those do it for you?

Pretty much right. We went way overboard on our reactions to that incident. I would have happily flown the next day/week but other folks were scared to death to do so.
CAUTION: Evil Stereotyping Ahead!
Do you think a bunch of sloppy, GED-toting fools in an airport make it safer to fly when they catch Mom with her dangerous 1" sharp-pointed sewing scissors while others walk through with 8" sharpened pencils, sharpened credit cards, and Grandma comes through the safety check with her 12" knitting needles? Yeahright...
-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams
Larry Jaques wrote:

Admittedly before 9-11, but I had an impatient look on my face as one of the security agents inspected my computer at Love Field in Dallas. A Dallas cop-ette stepped over and volunteered "You know we're doing this for your protection, don't you?"
"I don't believe that any more than I could flap my arms and fly," I replied.
"Then why do you think we go to all this trouble?" the cop-ette rejoined.
"To give these cretins a job."
"I'll have you know we intercept guns in purses two or three times a week from wives heading toward the gates to meet their husbands!"
"I didn't know that. You should be congratulated for preventing terrorism by throwing housewives to the floor and putting them in jail. Outstanding! You must be very proud."
She turned and struck out for her podium and returned to watching the throngs.
On 9/11/2012 6:55 AM, Swingman wrote:

But three lefts do.
On 9/10/2012 7:41 PM, dpb wrote:

What is r.w.?

Just a guess; rec.woodworking?
On 9/10/2012 8:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yes. It hit me after I hit 'Send'. <duh>
I did preface the thread with OT (still stands for off topic right?)
On 9/10/2012 6:41 PM, dpb wrote:

Except for the little things, like the double, solid yellow line being a clear "Do Not Pass" in any traffic engineer's handbook in every state and state traffic statute.
Granted, in a society that ignores unethical behavior at every opportunity, breaking a law that is inconvenient, despite the fact that it is a rational, logical, and clear extension of a need for public safety, is no longer of much import ... from rolling stops, to political machinations, a society of scofflaws eventually breaks down.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/10/2012 8:20 PM, Swingman wrote:

I wish I could write ad eloquently as you Swing! Well said.

In Vermont a solid (or double) yellow line is only a suggestion that you might not want to pass; a "be careful" hint. Unless there is a white and black sign saying "Do Not Pass" (rare), it's perfectly legal to do so.

I blame it on the national 55MPH speed limit.

There is also a proximity to an intersection requirement. But what else would you expect from a state where it is illegal to whistle under water ...
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On 9/10/2012 8:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I blame it on "every one gets a trophy, political correctness, liberal attitudes, I am special I have a good enough reason.
On 9/10/2012 7:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Amazing, Rip Van Winkle still lives. To bring you up to speed during your long sleep, ol' Rip, that law was repealed in 1995.
The National Maximum Speed Law (NMSL) in the United States was a provision of the 1974 Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act that prohibited speed limits higher than 55 miles per hour (89 km/h). . . . The NMSL was modified in 1987 and 1988 to allow up to 65 mph (105 km/h) limits on certain limited access, rural roads. Congress repealed the NMSL in 1995, fully returning speed limit setting authority to the states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law
There are many areas in the western USA where the posted speed limit is 75MPH.
Just Wondering wrote:

Eighty-five in Texas.
On 9/11/2012 1:48 AM, Just Wondering wrote
Snip

State Highway 130 in Texas, a new toll road, has a posted speed limit of 85mph.