OT: Weather report and Calvin

Page 1 of 2
If there is anybody still out there, hello. Just wondering how youse folks are doing with the weather and all. Here in So. Cal., we have about three feet on the ground (try to picture that) with more on the way. I can see the top of the deck railing, if only just. Today I will try to dig out the 4wd truck so we can get to the post office and grocery store tomorrow. About the only service left here is the LA Times newspaper fairy who, somehow, still plunks a bright orange package on the driveway every morning before 5:30. The guy is a wizard.
Otherwise, we are in good shape (figuratively). We have lost power four times in the last week, but it has come back on within 15 minutes each time. Then go to http://www.angelfire.com/wa/zzaran/calvin.html for a selection of Calvin and Hobbes' best snowman cartoons. Enjoy.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Sigh. I truly miss Calvin and Hobbs. Have for years.

logos on the windows of pickups, that is.
Other than seeing Calvin in the classic pose urinating on Ford/Chevy/Dodge logos on the windows of pickups, that is. Well this is a case of ignorance is bliss. I always thought that was Bart Simpson. :) Thanks for the heads up though.
George wrote:

That's not classic. That's theft!

Yup. Watterson never licensed any of his work to anyone. The pressure to do so was one of the reasons he decided to pack it in, IIRC.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

(Sigh!) I miss fresh Calvin and Hobbes, Farside and Bloom County!!
jo4hn wrote:

Well, I'd gladly trade...we're under freezing rain which is expected to last the rest of today, tonight and tomorrow morning before it (eventually) is <supposed> to turn over to snow...the rumbles of thunder are certainly indicative there's enough warm air and moisture aloft to make it a fairly high likelihood they're not far off... :(
So far, no wind, but that rarely holds for long here...
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Where is here?
-- Mark in Maryland
Mark Jerde wrote:

Specifically, far SW KS, but this is a pretty large area...
Of course, here (in Edmonton AB), it's been between -20 and -30 degrees Celcius for the last week. This week, it's suppposed to warm up to close to freezing tomorrow, but then drop down again to -15/-30. And to think I left Miami, FL for this...
BTW, you've got more snow than us. Too damn cold to snow here!
Clint

Clint wrote:

fair amount of snow there and temps at around -30dC. Here it rarely gets below -10dC.     j4
Need free lumbers? Drive your truck to KC? We are expecting the BIG one.

This morning Regina is reporting -38C (-51C with wind chill)...
It's -31C (-44C with WC) here in ToonTown (2 hours north).
I gotta go warm up the car now.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.non writes:

Edmonton was absolutely beautiful, there and going there (flying over the Rockies). But then, I was in Edmonton in August of that year. You have been to the Parliment Building, top floor, magic spot, haven't you? If not, you really must. I was not impressed at all until I stood there - it *really* does sound like water is going to be pouring all over you! Glenna
jo4hn wrote:

We got about 2' on Christmas eve but the temperature went up into the mid 50 a few days later. There is no snow on the ground...
IN BUFFALO, NY
IN JANUARY?
(not complaining though) :-).

bullet this time, but Winter is still here, lots of time for the arctic express to hit us again.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

...and here in Syracuse where we normally get a lot more snow than Buffalo (though they get more press for their snow), we've had diddly for snow this year. We've had a couple of dustings, one front that dumped a foot, and that's it. Now - not a flake of snow on the ground. Hopefully that will change before too long.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

We've got about 8" on the ground (got about 3" over Christmas and NY), and are currently at -40 with wind chill. It'll be colder overnight as the wind picks up.
Pretty tough on the dog, who's a wiener dog/terrier cross and has no undercoat to speak of. It's pretty much a 20 foot dash 'n pee.