OT: We the people?

Page 1 of 8
How is this "We the people ..."? I never got a chance to vote for who I wanted for president because he dropped out recently.
What a crock... What an antiquated and broken system...
I kind of feel like Pacino from a Scent of a Woman:
<The following quote was modified/tortured to better fit the context of my dismay>
"I'm just gettin' warmed up. Now I don't know who founded this country Thomas Jefferson, John Penn, Sean Penn-whoever. Their spirit is dead; if they ever had one, it's gone. We're building a rat ship here."

It's all about money.
To quote another Pacino line: "First you getta tha money; den you getta tha power".
Frank
Garage_Woodworks wrote:

You can still vote for him. Ever hear of a write-in candidate? There have even been times (not often, to be sure) when a write-in candidate won an election.
Just Wondering wrote:

I don't know other state's laws, but here you have to be a registered write-in candidate, otherwise the vote is just thrown out. People write in Mickey Mouse, Pluto and whatever strikes their fancy. They not only lose that vote, but it is not tallied and no one even gets to laugh about it (other than the poll workers).
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

Well, when it comes to that, "We the people" never did mean that it was the voters who decided who wanted to run for office.

Nor did it mean that the limited number of enfranchised voted directly. Founding dead white guys didn't trust the masses to do better than to vote for the guy who bought him a drink at the polling place.
That part hasn't changed....
Just Wondering wrote:

The original plan was that the people would vote for electors (the elector's name would be the one on the ballot) and the electors would then meet and decide who among the whole population of the US should be President, and if he didn't want the job draft him anyway.
It didn't work out that way. Personally I think we should try it. Along with a rule that anybody who declares himsef a candidate for President is automatically disqualified.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

So far so good.

Well, now, pardner, I reckon I have to call you out on that one. How about a reference supporting that statement? 'Cause that's the first I ever heard that one.

Just Wondering wrote:

Since it never came up there's no reference. What do you think would happen if the Electoral College told Joe Schmoe, "Hey, Joe, you're President" and he said "No, I'm not"?

--John
J. Clarke wrote:

>> 'Cause that's the first I ever heard that one.

Well, if it never came up and there's no reference, how do you know that was the original plan?

Under that "what if," I think Joe Schmoe would not be President.
Just Wondering wrote:

I pulled it out of the place you keep your head.

--John

Which makes it all the more surprising he didn't notice.
Don't forget to wash your hands.
--
FF

The word "hostage" comes to mind....
I have heard about that idea myself. I have heard it attributed to both Franklin and Jefferson and was based on Athenian democracy. My memory does not go in to enough detail to give a reference to it except for a Rod Sereling Twilight Zone episode.

The original plan was to leave it to the states to determine how their electors were chosen. That is still how it is done.
Forty eight states have each candidate who makes the ballot, or their respective parties, nominate a slate of electors. The slate corresponding to the candidate who wins the popular vote then represents that state int eh electoral college. Two states, Maine and Iowa, have a more complex approach that allows their representative to be split among two or more candidates.
A state could have its electors appointed by the state legislature and forgo a general election altogether. Not likely, but entirely constitutional.
--
FF

What year was the constitution written and how many states where there at the time? This is what I mean by ANTIQUATED. It don't work no more.
My guy dropped out before I had a chance to cast a vote. This is inherently wrong. "We the people..." does not mean "We, Iowa, Wyoming and New Hampshire..." I think everyone "We" should have a chance to vote for their candidate. Not just Iowa et al.
I think it should be done like the general election.

Garage_Woodworks wrote:

The parties could just pick somebody without any kind of primary. There's nothing in the Constitution that requires the candidates to be selected by popular vote.
If your guy decided to stop running after he hit a little adversity then maybe next time you should go for a somebody who's not a quitter.
--John

My guy was not given a fair chance. "We" never cast our vote.

OR, you were effectively outvoted? If your candidate had received enough votes, believe it, no withdrawl would have happened. Obviously s/he wasn't popular enough.