OT: We The People...

Page 3 of 7
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 00:36:18 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

I saw the handwriting on the wall the year before and started looking around. I ended up with a whole lot more vehicle (Tundra) and it cost $15k less than the equivalent Ford pickemup at the local dealership.
-- To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Well think about this, Obama could PAY you $3000 to ride in a volt, send the bill to the taxpayers by simply printing up a bunch more wheelbarrows of money. A free car in every car port... how would that effect your decision?
--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors =====> Government Motors!

$3000? It's $7500!

Yes, he gives you $7,500 with one hand and charges you $42,000 with the other. I was talking about a free car, firing up the printing presses and paying you $3000 to own one. Like, charging you $42,000 with one hand and giving you $45,000 with the other. That should help Nissan, Toyota and Ford sell some stuff:-)
--
Jack
News Flash: Government Motors (GM) fines their top competitor $16 Mil.

Did you misspell "substandard" there in that last sentence, Mark, or just forget to include it? ;)

Ditto here.
-- To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
Mark & Juanita wrote:

If you begin getting Lonesome Joe, you are in deep do-do.
Anyway, Government Motors is doing good, Making the 40 mile per charge Volt for a mere $42,000 while Nisson makes the 100 mile per charge Leaf for $32,000.
Perhaps some Obama fines are in order...
--
Jack
News Flash: Government Motors (GM) fines their top competitor $16 Mil.

The Leaf is all-electric, the Volt is a hybrid with very limited 'all electric' abilities disqualifying it from the extra tax incentives and the ability to be driven in car pool lanes by just the driver alone. (In some states). IOW, GM shit the bed again.

Check this out

OK so now we only get 30 miles or so and need a charge. They claim $1.50 a day, but here in New England, it is closer to 18 or more for that kWh. The 1.50 becomes 2.25 to go 30 miles. Many cars can get 30 mpg so it is about the same as paying 2.25 versus today's gas of 2.70 here. or a savings of 45 a day. If you commute 30 miles a day, 5 days a week you save 2.25 a week or $113 year. The premium for a Volt over other 30 mpg cars is easily $10,000. Wow, the payback is a mere 88 years.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

let alone that i live in phoenix, need a/c about 9 months/year, and commute 60 miles/day. it could easily be 200 years for my payback.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Oh, but you get to feel so morally superior to all those other drivers on the road. *That* should be worth it, shouldn't it? I mean, don't you *care* about our planet or are you just looking at the bottom line? [For the humor impaired, that was sarcasm].
Living here in Tucson, the lifetime of the batteries would be a serious concern. Normal auto batteries die after about 2 years, regardless of what the battery says it is. Cell phone batteries, if you leave the phone on, are degraded if you leave them in a car (I leave my cell phone in the car, but it's always off). It's hard to believe that the Volt batteries would not be degraded by long-term exposure to 110 degree plus heat.

Rob Leatham

I'm thinking of getting an old Prius and putting it up on blocks in the front yard so I can be a greenredneck
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

:-)

Rob Leatham
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:37:27 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

I have a feeling that you'll be owing lots and lots of monitors and keyboard after that one, Ed. Two points!
-- I'm thinking of getting an old Prius and putting it up on blocks in the front yard so I can be a greenredneck. --Ed P. on the Wreck, 07/2010
:> :> Oh, but you get to feel so morally superior to all those other drivers on :> the road. *That* should be worth it, shouldn't it? I mean, don't you :> *care* about our planet or are you just looking at the bottom line? :> [For the humor impaired, that was sarcasm]. : I'm thinking of getting an old Prius and putting it up on blocks in the : front yard so I can be a greenredneck
Or, take out the batteries and retrofit it with one of these:
http://www.enginefactory.com/632850hp.htm
or
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/general/musclecars-engines.shtml#ford-cobrajet
A pair of fuzzy dice on the mirror and you're all set!
-- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

At only half the cost of the original car, that's a bargain. Imagine the fun to be had with that. A modern equivalent of:
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
W7oZBhAJg>

Nah, those have been replaced by CD's on string.

Rob Leatham
In wrote

yea but, your suppose to FEEL good when your driving it<g>
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And thats before they add on a trillion taxes to the electric bills to make up for all the lost taxes from oil.
--
Jack
Got Change: big government =====> BIG GOVERNMENT!
On 7/30/2010 10:44 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

The Volt has a near 300 mile range if you use gas. Other than that, everything else about the car sucks.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think the main suckie thing is the batteries cost a ton and will probably not last long enough for my tastes. Plus, my guess is IF everyone in the US bought one, electricity taxes would rocket to the moon. That would result in solar chargers proliferating to beat the taxes, which would result in the government, who will own everything by then, charging even more for batteries that last for shorter, and shorter periods of usage.
--
Jack
If Guns Kill then Spoons Made Rosie O'donnell Fat!