OT:We saw Lightfoot last night.

Page 4 of 5
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:13:48 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-

Milli Vanilli incarnate, wot? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
It's DEPENDS time, folks. <thud>
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
On 4/18/10 9:11 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What is getting very common is to have the road band and singers go in the rehearsal studio before the tour, and record the "live" performance to a multi-track recorder.
Then, the live show sound engineers have the option of what to mix in the house sound, live or recorded. So, essentially, you are hearing and seeing what the people on stage are playing and singing.... it may have been performed weeks ago, but it's the people you're seeing... their performance. If that makes sense.
You're getting a mix of live with recorded that is different every night depending on circumstances.
--

-MIKE-

On 4/18/2010 10:43 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

And, a treatise on why most all pop music these days basically sucks.
In a nutshell, the opportunity for an exciting _live_ performance based on the oftentimes magical interaction between a band, the music, and the audience is being traded for what is perhaps an adequate, but above all safe for all concerned performance, with little or now chance for the former.
Then throw in a gallon or so of AutoTune ... :(
<From an admittedly old fart musician> :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/18/10 11:18 AM, Swingman wrote:

True dat. Pretty much, any time you see dancers and/or video presentations along with the music, you can be certain that much of what you are hearing is canned.
--

-MIKE-

Stevie Wonder did that 30 years ago during his Circle In The Square tour. I discussed this with Mark Smith, his engineer, and the reasons were, I thought, quite valid. First of all, they only did a few songs with only Stevie's voice, the band was live, and the big reason was that Stevie's voice had to be conserved for the last part of the concert. That particular night at The Memorial in Rochester NY, they only did two songs that way. Sometimes 3 or 4, sometimes none. Certainly never because they 'had' to.
On 4/18/2010 11:33 AM, Robatoy wrote:

There's always a rationale, and when it comes to time, money and convenience they are usually very valid.
Being a realist, I concur with the methods, although I regret them as a musician.
There is absolutely nothing on this earth like the HIGH of a live, spontaneous, musical interaction with other musicians when your hearts are beating as one and you're meeting on top of the beat and shaking hands ... and that goes doubly for the witnessing audience as well!
Record that, and you've got gold!
Besides, it's why most musicians play in the first place ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Microwave ovens?
On 4/18/2010 11:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Playing like Mark Knopfler does, it's a slam dunk that he played many a gig for nothing, for the sheer joy of playing. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

He's coming to Toronto...Massey Hall a nice small venue..GOT to get me some tickets. (I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this before:) The Concert For Montserrat at Royal Albert Hall had Knopfler do his Brothers In Arms. No tape-dubbin' there. Just a great big dose of awesomeness. Paul McCartney does a great version of Golden Slumbers on the same DVD. A must have.
On 4/18/10 1:17 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I'm 6'5" tall, always come out with cramps in my legs.
--
Froz...

I am 5'10 63/64" and the main floor is cramped for me. The side balconies? Forget it. The sound is pretty good though. Way better than anything else in TO.
On 4/18/10 5:08 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Absolutely, the best sounding hall in town. Last show I saw was Squires, White and Howe from YES there, absolutely amazing, but ouch.
--
Froz...

I saw Prine there a few months back and the seats were great. Main floor. Before that, I attended the Rheostatics farewell party at Massey, and the seats sucked canal water. Left, balcony. I wandered about a fair bit, which is nice too. Those balcony seats were as bad as the Transat seats to Punta Cana.
On 4/18/10 11:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I can get all the chicks I want, *real* cheap, down at Tractor Supply, the week after Easter.
--

-MIKE-

On 4/18/2010 12:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Correction ... real cheep! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/18/10 11:44 AM, Swingman wrote:

The big inside joke in the biz, is that *the* benchmark live rock album, "Frampton Comes Alive," was about 70 percent overdubs.
Might be an urban myth, but it's still funny.
--

-MIKE-

On 4/18/2010 12:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

It is funny ... equally funny/appropriate is the quote attributed to Hunter S. Thompson on the music biz. :)
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

His upper register is shot and he tried to power his way up and through, but it sounded like air escaping, no tone. That happened on a few occasions. I do know he is 72 and he no longer has the voice of a younger man. I know this. But to see him struggle like that wasn't fun. Imagine Ali going in for 15 rounds the shape he is in.....(I know that's a bit different.) Like I said... it was awkward.
I saw Gord in concert about 20 years ago in NJ. He kept having to stop and apologize for forgetting the words - to songs that HE WROTE!
B.

20 years ago he was still doing all kinds of substances....booze in particular. A lot of people in the Toronto music scene wouldn't have anything to do with him for the longest time.

20 years ago he was still doing all kinds of substances....booze in particular. A lot of people in the Toronto music scene wouldn't have anything to do with him for the longest time.
I'd never heard that about him, but that would explain it. But in his more lucid days he produced some of the best music ever.
B.