OT:We saw Lightfoot last night.

Page 2 of 5

There's always a touch-tone phone. There's a 440 in there somewhere.
Add pictures here
✖

Speaking of that song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
0li1lsbxM
Sorry, no tractors.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:44:08 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-

Yeah, see? Who needs a drummer? <gd&r>
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

Well, they say if you slap a bass right, you can play _scales_.
I'm told some guys do it just for the halibut.
The whole thing seems somewhat fishy to me!
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 17, 12:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

GO to your room!
Add pictures here
✖
robatoy write:

Be warned, if you want to mako something of it -- I've got _lots_ more of them I could trout out. Including some that are really crappie, others that are merely tilipiadated, and a few that just smelt. That said, _anybody_ engaging in fish puns is likely to get scrod. Shad, but true. And, yes, I not only *did* do it all on porpoise, I manta every word.
<*BIG* grin>
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/17/2010 3:31 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

And now you got muffin left to say ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Abalone! That _was_ just a start.
As for 'muffin left to say', I've got others that are bran new.
`
Add pictures here
✖
Somebody wrote: (A compliation)

More Fish:
A redneck was stopped by a game warden in Alabama recently with two ice chests full of fish. He was leavin' a cove well-known for its fishing.
The game warden asked the man, 'Do you have a license to catch those fish?'
'Naw, sir', replied the redneck. 'I ain't got none of them there licenses.., these here are my pet fish.'
'Pet fish?'
'Yeah.. Every night, I take these here fish down to the lake and let 'em swim 'round for awhile. Then, when I whistle, they jump right back into these here ice chests and I take 'em home.'
'That's a bunch of hooey! Fish can't do that.'
The redneck looked at the warden for a moment and then said, 'It's the truth Mr. Government Man. I'll show ya. It really works.'
'O. K.', said the warden. 'I've got to see this!'
The redneck poured the fish into the lake and stood and waited.
After several minutes, the warden says, 'Well?'
'Well, what?', says the redneck.
The warden says, 'When are you going to call them back?'
'Call who back?'
'The FISH', replied the warden!
'What fish?', replied the redneck.
Moral of the story:
We may not be as smart as some city slickers, but we aren't as dumb as
some government employees.
You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of
anyone retiring and moving north.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/17/2010 4:27 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Orange you something ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

As Dave's .sig line says "in every neighborhood, there's one. In my neighborhood it's me."
There's only about _one_ matter I have trouble coming up with puns about, and that's _dirt_. It takes real work to make the punishment fit the grime.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 19, 2:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Soil in how you approach the topic.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 19, 2:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Humus be busy then, eh?
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/17/2010 10:36 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

LOL <but preaching to the choir any way>.
Hey, like I've told any number of drummer's I've worked with in the past (those who never grasped the concept, present company excluded because I've heard you play on that webcast, and when I said your snare "sounded great", it wasn't all bout the tone, it was a large part the "feel") ... _it's all in the back beat_.
A well placed, in time, snare drum is one of the most uplifting things in music ... from a strong mandolin back beat in a grooving bluegrass tune, to the metronomic snare in a rock tune, to the well placed just-behind-the-beat feel of the snare in a blues tunes (that snare placement that makes the bass player's head bob), to the swing "feel" added by the snare in a swing tune.
Some drummers are a pleasure to play with on any tune. Those who only know one thing, when it comes to placing that back beat in a measure, are a nightmare on anything that is not there particular thing.
It's unfortunate how many drummers fall into that category.
Ask any bass player who has spent more time standing next to a drummer on stage than many people have breathing. <g>
It's all in the back beat ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/17/10 11:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

There have been virtual dissertations written on the placement of the back beat. Ahead, right on, or behind. It's a very subjective and "sensed" thing.
Personally, I've noticed that I'm usually in the back seat when it comes to driving that bus. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖
On 4/17/2010 11:21 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

In the sense that you can't teach it, I agree. But boy howdy, can I feel it when attempting to play bass with it.

As a bassist, I follow the drummer instinctively ... that's why I say it is a nightmare to play with a drummer who can't get the feel of the genre right.
We had a female drummer who sat in with us occasionally who is an excellent rock and country drummer and much in demand, routinely tours all over the country and Europe ... very solid drummer, and metromic, timewise ... but she absolutely ruins a swing or blues tune ... just can't do it.
That _is_ a nightmare, in a band that plays primarily Western Swing ... :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/17/10 11:34 AM, Swingman wrote:

I think that's the key... getting a bass player and drummer who are in the same school.
I go to a lot of blues jams.... even though I really can't stand blues. :-) It's sort of a requirement of the job to play at these things and you meet a lot of great (and bad) players.
Last one I was at, the host drummer was a great player. He and the bass player were definitly in the same school as far as back beat *and* downbeat was concerned.
On the double-shuffle tunes (ie: Pride & Joy), their downbeats were way in the back seat and the drummer's back beat was so in front, it could've been a hood ornament. It was a little strange, but it fell together and sounded great... *and*... they were obviously digging it, together.

In a lot of the two-beat stuff I hear, the snare sounds pushed a little, like it's almost rushing, but stays in time. I can't really play that way, naturally.
--

-MIKE-

✖

It was always fun to watch Entwistle walk up to Moon and bring him back to the what the rest of the band was doing. I have a dozen DVD's (Bootleg and otherwise) of The Who proving that if you have a bass/ drum package. you have 7/8th of a band.
To watch Sly & Robbie is just farking amazing. Hence Sheffield Steel is still one of my favourite Joe Cocker LP's. Cocker's version of Dylan's Seven Days has Sly & Robbie go for a walk IN the PARK. (I have a small reggae infliction. Picked it up on the Island, mon.)
I hate to say it...but here it comes..."They don't make music like that anymore"...and "Get OFF my lawn!!" <G>
For those more adventurous, see if you p2p a copy of Dark Side Of The Dub somewhere. Not for everybody, but if you like it, go buy it.
Meanwhile, enjoy this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9f7uhZcbfQ

Add pictures here
✖
On 4/17/10 11:37 AM, Robatoy wrote:

My facebook status update, yesterday, after hearing "Real Me" on the radio....
"...thinks on The Who's "Real Me," Keith Moon and John Entwistle weren't sure who Pete was talking to when he said, "You take lead on this one."
--

-MIKE-

✖
On 4/17/2010 11:37 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Heavenly, when they work together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhQJPaDwd0c&feature=related

(Don't know if that is Merle Perkins or not, but it sure sounds like it)
I want to go to heaven, but only to get a chance to jam with Merle Perkins and SRV.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010