OT:We saw Lightfoot last night.

Page 1 of 5
I liked the ballads, but at age 72, he really shouldn't try to pretend he can still 'do it'. We came away pleased but feeling a bit awkward. Glad to have seen him again, and if he decided to retire, I would be okay with that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GordonLightfoot_Interlochen.jpg
On 4/16/2010 6:25 PM, Robatoy wrote:

What was the problem?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

His upper register is shot and he tried to power his way up and through, but it sounded like air escaping, no tone. That happened on a few occasions. I do know he is 72 and he no longer has the voice of a younger man. I know this. But to see him struggle like that wasn't fun. Imagine Ali going in for 15 rounds the shape he is in.....(I know that's a bit different.) Like I said... it was awkward.

His upper register is shot and he tried to power his way up and through, but it sounded like air escaping, no tone. That happened on a few occasions. I do know he is 72 and he no longer has the voice of a younger man. I know this. But to see him struggle like that wasn't fun. Imagine Ali going in for 15 rounds the shape he is in.....(I know that's a bit different.) Like I said... it was awkward.
Have you seen Rod Stewart perform lately? I swear he leaves his walker off stage. He gets to jerking around so much trying to dance that I think he is going to fall and break a hip. ;~)
On 4/16/2010 9:05 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Knowing when to quit is tough on a talent. I know quite a few musicians who've play a bit too far past their prime. To witness it is indeed awkward, for all concerned ... a good description.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

Even Sinarta had problems walking away on top.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

On 4/16/10 10:33 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I think he was about 20 years late on that. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:02:42 -0500, the infamous Swingman

That's why I gave up concerts 25+ years ago. They never sound as good in concert as they did on studio albums, so why waste your time? 'Course, I gave up partying hearty about that time, too, so...
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
On 4/17/2010 12:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

That's certainly true for many ... then again. I've known a number of groups that you could simply not capture what they did live on any medium.
First to mind in that regard is New Grass Revival (the later version, with John Cowan and Bela Fleck). To see them live was an overpowering, knock you back in your seat, experience. They did with acoustic instruments (except for Cowan on electric bass), what most rock bands with towering stacks of amps could not do.
No one, producer or engineer, to this day has been able to capture that powerful live stage show on tape or vinyl ... it defies the medium.
Then there is a very successful duo, now out of AR, that's been around for years, "Trout Fishing in America". On an album they are two guys on bass and guitar singing and picking, with remarkable musicianship, good songs ... on stage they morph into an orchestra of sound. I've heard folks in the mezzanine after a show sincerely wonder to each other who the drummer was.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Got to love that. Dave "Daddy" Jacques and Jason Wilber get by fine without a drummer when backing up John Prine. They have been accused of hiding a drum machine or SUMPtin'.... LOL Personally, just the right amount of slap on an upright bass is all I need.
Then there is 'magic time' when harmonies create an illusion of there being more than the people singing it. Mommas & The Pappas called that "Harvey came to sing." I walked by some open windows of the Chapel when The King's College Choir was rehearsing on the Cambridge U(UK) campus. The goosebumps damn near broke my skin. (Truth be told, *I* have never been the same since.. it was a life-changing 'experience'.)
Hollies, Peter & Gordon, CSN & Y, Everly Brothers and many more have always been on my list of things I like.
Oh... Speaking of drums <g>, Neil Peart is coming to Sarnia dragging the rest of RUSH along with him. (I will go see them and Weezer, and Road Hammers.) http://www.sarniabayfest.com/2010performers
On 4/17/10 10:25 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Hmmmm... I'm not sure I like where this discussion is headed. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Well, there are drummers who push a band around and those who punctuate music already in progress....<S>
On 4/17/10 11:03 AM, Robatoy wrote:

And I guess you'll get to see Neil do both. :-)
What's the difference between a drummer and a toilet? A toilet only has to carry one a$$hole at a time.
--

-MIKE-

Q: How are drummers and auto-workers the same? A: They have machines for that now.

Somehow this flashed into my head, so I will just leave this here:
Down at the well they got a new machine The foreman says it cuts man-power by fifteen Yeah but that ain't natural well so old Clay would say You see he's a horse-drawn man until his dying day
On 4/17/10 2:24 PM, Robatoy wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ThSi1wbqU
--

-MIKE-

Delightful!!

Was that the original drum machine?
Somehow or another, Ijust don't think it will catch on. Too big, too smelly, too country. etc.
On 4/17/2010 3:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Tractors and tuners ... the pitch of a flourescent bulb in a night club is close enough to Bb for hand grenades ... turn up that hum in the monitors, let, say the tenor sax or clarinet, tune to it, then let them bring the band up to A4.
Who needs drum machines and tuners ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010