OT - We're In Trouble Now

When things are going well Madison Avenue pushes soft luxurious - expensive things. When things go south they go for strong, tough - and reliable.

There's a TV ad going out here - with cartoon bears - the message "Widgets (or whatever the product's called) - Strong AND Tough!"

The product - "bathroom tissues" (read toilet paper).

I never understood the need for "scented" - a box of kitchen matches left in the bathroom works pefectly well.

But when I think of toilet paper - "tough" and "strong" sort of creeps me out. Thankfully, they didn't inlcude a products comparison in graphic terms.

I think the Economic Crisis may be worse than we've been lead to believe.

charlie b

ps Thank You George!

Reply to
charlieb

"charlieb" wrote

I remember, years ago, reading an article about Consumer Reports. It said that in all the years of testing products, they only had two products that they could not come up with a way to test them. One was toilet paper.

This is a product that can easily be tested by the consumer. That cheap stuff from Costco is cruel and unusual punishment.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Dare I ask what the other one was?

jc

And just think, by the time you figure out the stuff from Costco *is* cruel and unusual, you only have 95 more rolls of it to go through......

Reply to
joe

"joe" wrote

The article did not say.

I have seen folks buy several of those monster packs at one time.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

When I was living in Sicily, the local wipe was like crepe paper. The Americans called it "Non-skid toilet paper".

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Angela saw a guy with two of those enormous packs on his cart and said to me: "this guy should do something about his bran intake."

Reply to
Robatoy

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Jeeezzzz ... we are getting soft as a nation, on both ends. :)

From one who spent weeks in the boonies, where a "tough and strong" leaf, or a handful of moss, was a rare and blissful find, even the industrial Scott brand from Sam's is luxurious by comparison.

Reply to
Swingman

And you're forgetting the most important thing here. When it comes to strong and tough or soft and tender, I think the universal choice is the one that's least liable to break-through.

Reply to
Upscale

"Gerald Ross" wrote

When I visited Iran back in the 60's, when it was common to eat out of a communal dish, barehanded, and with no TP at all, everyone wiped with their left and ate with their right ... and you hoped like hell the lefties got it right!

Reply to
Swingman

Really? It's a wonder everybody didn't die from cholera.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote

Actually, that was the original reason the word "strang" was invented by the Middle English ... apparently they had a brand by that name. :)

Reply to
Swingman

It has affected all of them "mentally".

Reply to
Leon

In a pinch, use one sheet of TP. Fold it in half, and in half again. Tear off the corner that would be in the center of the sheet when it is unfolded. Unfold the sheet of paper and stick your middle finger through the hole and wipe. When done, use the torn off corner to clean under the finger nail. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Are we talking Sears catalogues?

cselby

Talk about cruel, think back to the 2 holer out back with its supply of red corn cobs and white corn cobs.

First a red cob, then a white cob to see if another red cob was necessary.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That is the way Arab nomads did it. They didn't have toilet paper and wiped left and ate right. Also why a severe punishment was to have one's right hand cut off. It effectively banned you from social contact. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

That's John Wayne paper. Y'know, rough and tough, and won't take crap from anyone.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I once worked for the US subsidiary of a German company. I was preparing to fly over on business when my co-worker, who had already been there, suggested I "rough myself up with some 60-grit sandpaper" to get used to the local toilet tissue.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

When my sister spent time in Monaco back a couple of decades she brought back some TP that was like the slick, crinkly tissue paper used to stuff gift bags. Strange stuff, you could see why you needed a bidet, the TP (aka bog roll) would never remove all the Star Trek enemies.

Tim Douglass

of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.

Reply to
Tim Douglass

Some years ago, a friend of my first wife's told me she never could get used to the TP in British public restrooms, imprinted with "Property of the Queen", with a consistency more like waxed paper than anything else she could think of.

Reply to
Charlie Self