OT way OT but GOOD for Mom!

Agreed. Short of a parade in her honor, she should at least be given the key to the city by the mayor (perhaps in a small ceremony in his office) and a $100 gift certificate to McDonalds. And a box of replacement shotgun shells from a local sporting goods store.

I heard that the next day she became engaged, so I guess the episode turned out well. Actually, well times two.

Come to think on it, I might be a bit leery of being her husband...

Reply to
HeyBub

What makes you think it was a tragedy?

For all we know, she's giving and getting high-fives from everybody she meets!

She might even get the CSI photo of the corpse and put it on her next year's Christmas cards.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good point. Guns are like cats - one is never enough (in parts of the deep South, it's dogs).

Now my current squeeze has only one gun (a .38 derringer she carries in her purse and yes, she has a concealed handgun license). But she as access to MY guns - there's a handgun in almost every room. So I guess sharing counts, too.

Reply to
HeyBub

of the news reports have mentioned it, but the dead guy's partner will be charged with felony murder.

Reply to
HeyBub

I stand corrected again. DAMN! And I verified with my wife who is an enforcement office for the state comptrollers office. Perhaps in the last 32 years the term has changed.

Reply to
Leon

There you go!

Reply to
Leon

> None of the news reports have mentioned it, but the dead guy's partner will

I have no sympathy for the dude, but that's the kind of ridiculous overreaching by prosecutors that defies logic and commonsense.

Asshat lawyers ...

Reply to
Swingman

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

It's not always a decision. It's more likely instinct and training. You second guess the decision later. I too, have never taken a life, and for that I am grateful. My last job required that I carry a gun, and I did for 38 years.

Reply to
willshak

Great to hear!

That's why I put (possible) in there. Many of the home invasions (and hot prowls, where they know people are home when they break in) are done by groups, so they cover the house and exits, using them as entries when the scared homeowners try to flee.

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Unfortunately, many people do. They get one, have the single training session (IF their state requires that) and sock "it" away for a rainy day. The rest of us have fun with "them", right?

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey Larry, I agree with you but I read it was 2 people - 2 ain't several :-).

I live in a state without a castle law. But you can bet I'd rather be "judged by 12 than carried by 6".

And if he's outside - drag him inside!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Swingman wrote in news:_OmdncUKb_QjiJrSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I don't know. The guy knew that the lady was in her home alone, with a baby. He and the dead dude were likely egging each other on, perhaps (as it states) high on drugs, wanting more (money and/or drugs). Therefore, they were both committing a feloney, and the result was 1 dead dude. The other should be charged with at least soomething, leading to the death of the first one.

I'm glad I live on the other side of the Passaic River ...

Reply to
Han

Swingman wrote in news:_OmdncUKb_QjiJrSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Here in Indiana, the law holds all participants in a crime to be fully responsible for all of the results of that crime. If four men rob a home and kill the homeowner, all four will be charged with the murder of the homeowner; if, instead, the homeowner kills one of the robbers, the three surviving robbers will be charged with the murder of the dead robber. It appears that Oklahoma law has similar provisions. I bet Texas law does, too.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Mea culpa. I thought I heard 3 on her first statement.

Amen to that.

And let the forensics guys prove you guilty without a doubt. That'll instantly put the jury on their side and you in jail.

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Um, she was a looker and the guy she shot had been stalking her that day. I think they wanted something other than money or drugs from her.

It's common for all parties involved to be charged with conspiracy to murder when a death occurs during the commission of the crime. It isn't often -pursued-, though. Yeah, the second guy needs to be punished for his involvement, but I'm not sure a murder rap is the correct punishment. I guess we'll see. Was it he who got the other guy interested in the woman so he could get sloppy seconds? Maybe it is a fitting punishment after all. I group rape and murder pretty closely as far as heinous crimes go. Rape can taint the woman and all of the people around her for a lifetime, sometimes being worse than death.

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:a44ee$4f074cdf$4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Apparently it is quite common in the states that when a group (2 or more) hatch a plan to commit a crime, and a death occurs, that all involved except the victim(s) are painted with the same brush as the actual perpetrator.

In NY City a group of 5 is being held, because 1 of them shot and killed a policeman who had cornered him in the residence. The rest were lookouts and/or otherwise accomplices. They are all facing charges of murder of some kind now, although only 1 of them did the deed. He was arrested and let go in spite of a NC/SC arrest warrant, but the down south authorities didn't want to come and get him. Apparently that was enough reason to let him free, damn the judge involved. Oh, yes, the gun used was an illegal weapon.

Reply to
Han

Larry Jaques wrote the following:

We dragged him back inside to administer first aid!

Reply to
willshak

2 can appear as several if you are cross eyed or drunk. ;~)
Reply to
Leon

No shit! Why should the second guy be charged with murder?? No murder was committed. Smells like a liberal. Someone is going to pay for killing the worthless POC and we will never make it stick on the young woman.

Reply to
Leon

sev·er·al ? ? adjective

  1. being more than two but fewer than many in number or kind: several ways of doing it.
  2. respective; individual: They went their several ways.
  3. separate; different: several occasions.
  4. single; particular.
  5. Law . binding two or more persons who may be sued separately on a common obligation.

noun

  1. several persons or things; a few; some.
Reply to
Doug Winterburn