Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
On 1/5/2012 6:39 PM, Swingman wrote:

I agree, of course!!
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

And even more disturbing is someone living in the US who holds forth endlessly about the need to regulate firearms who has never heard of the agency responsible for regulating them, let alone their more egregious excesses.

I just don't think about them every day, and the acronym was not familiar to me. Thanks for setting me straight. I have my opinions and I respect those with other opinions. I only ask you do the same.
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/5/2012 5:19 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Actually in Waco, Texas, it is the TABC. Tobacco, Alcohol, and Beverage, Commission. IIRC there is no Bureau.
Leon wrote:

TABC is the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.
On 1/6/2012 7:50 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I stand corrected again. DAMN! And I verified with my wife who is an enforcement office for the state comptrollers office. Perhaps in the last 32 years the term has changed.

I must admit that I'm not sure whether she or her baby was indeed under real imminent threat of being harmed, and I did live in Mass. when there was a case of a woman fleeing into her basement during a home invasion, and killing the guy who ccame down after her. She was acquitted, I believe, because there was no secondary exit through which she could have fled. Had there been another exit from the basement, she should have used that.

Not sure where she was in relation to emergency services, or how rural and diispersed the area is, but that seems indeed a bit strange. When I broke my arm on July 4th a few years back, police and ambulance were in my back yard in minutes.

There have been strange things like that in NY City as well, I think (emphasis), but they are not really tolerated, nor should they. On the other hand, an acquaintance spend almost 24 hrs in a corridor in the ER area of New York Hospital after a suspected heart attack (wasn't a heart attack, but he still smokes).
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

## Yes, in some jurisdictions you MUST retreat. Many states, however, have recently passed laws implementing the "Castle Doctrine," which presumes an intruder means grievous bodily harm. Killing said intruder is not only justifiable homicide, but NO civil liability can attach. That is you cannot be sued by the asshole's relatives. Some states have gone farther (like mine) and implemented a "Stand Your Ground" standard. That is, you may respond with deadly force wherever you have a lawful right to be: in your bedroom, in your car, on the sidewalk, at the mall, wherever.

Why would the police respond to a broken-leg / medical call? Did you inform the dispatcher that some stink-eye broke your leg and is roaming the neighborhood with a baseball bat?
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Han wrote:

## Yes, in some jurisdictions you MUST retreat. Many states, however, have recently passed laws implementing the "Castle Doctrine," which presumes an intruder means grievous bodily harm. Killing said intruder is not only justifiable homicide, but NO civil liability can attach. That is you cannot be sued by the asshole's relatives. Some states have gone farther (like mine) and implemented a "Stand Your Ground" standard. That is, you may respond with deadly force wherever you have a lawful right to be: in your bedroom, in your car, on the sidewalk, at the mall, wherever.

Why would the police respond to a broken-leg / medical call? Did you inform the dispatcher that some stink-eye broke your leg and is roaming the neighborhood with a baseball bat? ===================================================================The last time (only time) I broke my leg, the police were first on the scene. Of course, I was laying in the middle of an intersection.

It is usual here (Bergen county, NJ) that police (municipal in my case) get to the scene first, since they are patrolling on duty. Ambulance and fire are volunteers (doing a GREAT job!!), but with a longer response time.
I made a mistake cutting a low branch off a dogwood, and fell off a ladder, backwards. Very stupid, and very lucky it wasn't worse.
--
Best regards
Han
Sonny wrote:

Agreed. Short of a parade in her honor, she should at least be given the key to the city by the mayor (perhaps in a small ceremony in his office) and a $100 gift certificate to McDonalds. And a box of replacement shotgun shells from a local sporting goods store.
I heard that the next day she became engaged, so I guess the episode turned out well. Actually, well times two.
Come to think on it, I might be a bit leery of being her husband...
HeyBub wrote the following:

911 calls usually go to the police or sheriff's office in areas where the fire department and EMT are volunteer services. The police are usually the first to respond followed by EMT. It has nothing to do with a crime occuring.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Didn't you listen to what she said in the video? Several large men, one wielding a 12" knife, who broke her door down to get at her isn't imminent threat of being harmed? Jesus, Han. Please buy a _clue_!

So his (possible) accomplice could have caught her instead? Right.
-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

I indeed didn't listen to the whole story. I got the message almost right away. I am not a lawyer who has to look at all sides. I believe that indeed as you stated she was in imminent danger. And I am definitely NOT saying she did wrong, liberal as I am <grin>.

I lived in Mass in the early 70's - a long time ago, and my memory is fading. If you want to research the details, go ahead. Not sure there was or could have been an accomplice in this case.
--
Best regards
Han

<g> Great to hear!

That's why I put (possible) in there. Many of the home invasions (and hot prowls, where they know people are home when they break in) are done by groups, so they cover the house and exits, using them as entries when the scared homeowners try to flee.
-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:24:44 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Hey Larry, I agree with you but I read it was 2 people - 2 ain't several :-).
I live in a state without a castle law. But you can bet I'd rather be "judged by 12 than carried by 6".
And if he's outside - drag him inside!

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:14:15 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Mea culpa. I thought I heard 3 on her first statement.

Amen to that.

And let the forensics guys prove you guilty without a doubt. That'll instantly put the jury on their side and you in jail.
-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt