OT: warranties

It is a shame that they don't tell you about the ones with the life time warranties which really are not that much more money and especially considering at after 10 years you are on borrowed time. I replaced mine about 5 years ago with a 50 gallon Whirlpool that has a life time warranty. $303 including tax plus my labor.

Reply to
Leon

F___ing Old Rebuilt Dodge

Reply to
Leon

For years I was provided the standard salesman's car, a Chevrolet Caprice Classic with a V8 engine.

Great car for the first 40K-45K miles, then power and economy went to hell in a hand basket.

From 45K to 60K when traded, it was a POS to drive.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

These days warranties are pro rated just like tires and batteries.

These days, tankless water heaters are the way to go, IMHO, especially those built with S/S parts.

I was going to put on on my boat when the time came.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The F150 is about the best thing from Ford. Too bad for Ford, Toyota gave me a better deal on a Tundra.

Reply to
Phisherman

You won't find sympathy here. I'm on my second Cobra, neither of which has ever had a single problem. Before the Mustangs, I owned a Crown Vic, a Tempo, and 3 Escorts, all since new. I'm a happy customer, 25 years running. The sad part is for them. The '03 runs as good today as the day I drove it home, as did the '96 when I traded it in. The dealership still calls once a year or so. "Nope, not looking. You built it too well," I have to tell them.

I don't know why it happens. I'm sure they earned the reputation on their own, but those were old even when I was in high school. I hated the Tempo, the Escorts were always sorta disposables in my mind, but for the last 18 years, I never had so much as a hint of a problem. Did I say I was a happy customer?

Reply to
MikeWhy

I knew I would regret the day I sold my F-150. I could get IN the engine to work on it. I knew what the heck everything was, without needing to hook it up to a computer. I rebuilt the carb and ENTIRE brake system (save most of the lines), for under $200 in parts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Good for them.

Reply to
-MIKE-

If there is a time limit, my warranty specifically indicates free replacement on parts. Labor not included but I can handle any thing that comes up in that department if they will let me. I was able to get my originaly heater to last 22 years.

I agree, I really really wanted to go that route but the cost was going to out pace the potential savings. I am all electric and would have had to go with the less efficient electric tankless model. I would have had to have an electrician run a 50 amp circuit additionally. Fortunately my new heater had a high effeciency rating. I have watched my electricity useage like a hawk for the past 20 years, I literally did see a drop in my usage that amounted to about $15-$20 per month. I speculated that the new heater would pay for it self with in 2 years and it indeed did.

Was?

Reply to
Leon

My personal vehicle has been some kind of truck for the last 30 years and I always wanted to get a Tundra simply from the reliability stand point. I bought an 07 Tundra in July of 07, paid $6k more than a GMC truck offer but about $7k off Toyota drive out price and totally felt like I made the better deal at the time. The fact that I had always wanted a Toyota truck really did not even enter into the equation, the truck simply felt and drove that much better. A few weeks later it dawned to me that I had finally gotten that Toyota. 21 months later I am still extremely happy with my decision to get a Toyota.

Reply to
Leon

There is a funny saying about old Chevrolet's. They run longer badly than other cars run.

Reply to
Leon

I picked up on that as well.

Reply to
Robatoy

Off peak heating and a 100 gallon tank was my dad's solution for electric water heating when he built a home in 1947.

Walked away a couple of years ago.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Most tankless will only give you a 40 degree f rise in temp at full flow as the water in winter here comes out of the ground at about 55 degrees a 95 degree shower ain't warm.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

When I was a kid, we had a small unit above the sink in the kitchen and a big mofo next to the bathtub. All the hot water (scolding hot) we would need. In The Netherlands, we called those tankless units 'geysers'...like 60 years ago.... Oh.. and my mother used to wash my shitty diapers in a 'front-loading' washing machine..... zowie... modern technology has come across the Atlantic!

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

One of the features of the geyser next to our shower (when I was near adulthood) was (in hindsight) rather scary. With the water flowing, and therefore the geyser "on", an auxiliary flame would shoot out from a connection near the bottom of the unit. Only about 7-10 cm long nice blue flame. When we noted this unnecessary and useless flame, we shut off the unit and called the gasfitter (there was some company that provided a service contract-like service to keep the house "safe" as far as gas-supplied appliances and their piping was concerned).

The unit that replaced it was 3 times bigger, eeded electricity, fans and better exhausting, and completely separated the combustion chamber from the room, I believe.

Reply to
Han

Most of the Europe have water tanks in the home for better pressure, most of the US does not. Read the specs on the tankless water heaters, check at the temp of the water out of the pipe then make your decision as to the usefulness of a tankless water heater.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

By off prek you mean cheaper electric rates at certain times of the day? I wish we had that option in Houston. I participated in a pilot test program in 1995, 1996, and partially in 1997 that the electric company was puttin on. I was one of about 250 participants in the Houston area. They put in a digital electric meter, modem, nine way to Sunday programable thermostat that woul tell you how much electricity you had used for any given day and during what periods you used it, the cost of each period in the day, and exactly what your bill was at any point and projected amount that the bill would be for the month. It also controlled the water heater. I was able to keep my electricity bill under $1K for the whole year in 1996. As we speak the local utility pole company is installing electronic meters again through out the whole city. I hope that we will once again be offered the variable rate pricing again. Our current water heater has a "smart" feature. It has a switch console that offers an option of not keeping the water at a normal useable temperature until it sences a flow/usage, similar to an on demand heater.

Reply to
Leon

At the time, mid 90's, we were only had one electrically provider, you could not "shop around". I suspect that the local provider probably saw how much their customers could actually save and was it not in the providers interest, or perhaps most users did not take full advantage of the set up and did not change their usage habits. We, I was never offered the opportunity to buy the equipment or have variable rate pricing after the trial. Only in the last 6 or 7 years have be been afforded the opportunity to seek other providers and only now are we /every one getting the digital electrical meters. We all have to pay for this meter so that the light company can get rid of all of their walk around meter readers. Over a 10 or so year period we have to pay extra for those $400 plus meters each month. The cost is being sold/sugar coated to us as affording us the opportunity to go on line and see what our bill is at any given time. BIG DEAL I can do that now with out internet service. I hope that the next step will be that we can get/be offered variable pricing.

When I was on the plan in the mid 90's our normal pricing for electricity was about 8 cents per Kwh. On the program I paid 2.5 cents from 10 pm till

6 am the next morning . From 6 am to 1 pm I paid 5.2 cents and from 1 pm to 7 pm I paid 12 cents. 7pm to 10 pm I paid 7.5 cents. This pricing structure was M-F and only during a 6 month Summer period. Weekends worked similar however the rate never went over 5.2 cents year round. During the 6 month Winter rate period the rate was exactly like the Summer weekend rate never going above 5.2 cents.

With the exception of an unusually High Peak Rate period limited to no more than 2 hours per week we could have been charged 17.2 cents. The thermostat would display a red light indicating that this was going to be implemented with in the next hour and the thermostat would respond accordingly depending on how you wanted that situation to be treated.

Reply to
Leon

If it worked out so well, what stopped you from purchasing your own meter after the test period was over?

Reply to
Upscale