OT Warning the bin laden suicide link is a virus

Page 1 of 2
I read the following at CNN's site a few min. ago.
SEATTLE, Washington (Reuters) -- A virus purporting to show images of Osama Bin Laden's suicide has popped up on the Internet, designed to entice recipients to open a file that unleashes malicious software code, security experts said.
The virus was attached to a message that was posted on over 30,000 usenet newsgroups and is not being spread via e-mail, said Web security vendor Sophos on Friday.
Chris Kraft, senior security analyst at Sophos, said the message and virus was designed to lure unsuspecting readers into opening a file, similar to the Anna Kournikova virus that enticed readers to open a file that unleashed malicious software code.
"If you don't know the person or the origin of a message, you shouldn't be opening it," Kraft said.
The fake Bin Laden suicide file, when opened, unleashes a program called a Trojan horse that makes it possible for attackers to take over infected personal computers running Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system.
Kraft said the virus itself had already appeared on the Internet before, but the virus writer had apparently repackaged it by saying it contained Bin Laden's suicide photos.
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
Mike S. wrote:

There's another one saying Arnold Schwarzeneggar committed suicide. Same virus, probably. Don't post links to it, and don't click on anything that says it's a 'zip' or 'exe' file. A picture isn't going to be either of these.
Karl

Some news/mail tools (Outlook Express for one) will only display the _first_ extension in a filename, so you could have a file called: family.jpg .exe which would be executable, but OE would only display it as "family.jpg". It won't show the extra spaces and the _real_ extension, the one your system looks at when deciding if it is an executable file.
Scan that stuff & keep your windows update up to date. Or, buy a Mac and laugh at all of it.
Dave "Bet you can guess which approach I use" Hinz
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net says...

Windows isn't the issue. IE, OE, and their ilk Are.
Use alternative software (Opera, Gravity, Eudora, Open Office, etc.) and laugh at all of it.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.

Well, that'll fix most of it, but the ports that MS leaves open by default are still there, even if the applications aren't. Many of the more recent exploits go after open ports, even if there isn't an MS app behind that port. A firewall, of course, is one way to fix that. But yes, most malware is written for the MS products built into windows.

'Much', OK.
But it remains the case that 'features' were designed into windows that were obvious security problems from the moment of inception. Not so with other OSs or software.
--

FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

    I've seen folks to differ with that. - I dunno. It was some Linux folks some time back discussing the topic. Some had opinion that one major reason that there was not a lot of Linux malware to go about was that it was not as much fun to attack what would not cause as much widespread mischief. - I don't recall a lot of what they was going on about - it was some years ago. Some opinions was that the malware writers do it for ego and ego is fed by large visible results.
    LOL - I don't need malware to mess me up with Linux. I manage that pretty well on my own. ;-| I had it installed once and messed it up. Tried to reinstall but it is kind of tricky to install after XP is in. - I only made halfhearted try to follow some instructions though. I was needing the HD space for other stuff.          But bottom line is that I don't know much about it. Just some have claimed that other OS could well be more or less as vulnerable.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.
Mark wrote:

    Actually - that thing had a downloadable .zip. If someone DL'ed it and unzipped and executed the .exe it would make no difference what browser.     I downloaded it and checked it with Norton and nothing. So I even unzipped it. Then Panda was the first online virus check site I ran onto and that removed the .zip and the .exe and a bunch of virus and EICAR that I had stored in some email.     So I dumped Norton and got the year free of Panda.     LOL - before I installed Panda I had dowloaded another copy of that Osama thing. Thought I would copy it to my collection. I didn't even set Panda to do a scan but it found and deleted the thing the day after I'd installed Panda anyway. - Oh well. - If I need a new and up to date virus to test AV I guess a free online email is good to get such. www.teamsatan.com is a free online email that does not scan emails. Another virus comes to that account every day or two.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.

Seriously, WHY?
Dave Balderstone wrote:

    Because I could.     It was before other folks had done the same thing and posted what virus it was.     I am a testy sort.     etc.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.
says...

after he was told it was hot.
Sorry Craig - but "because I could" is just plain silly when you don't know who is sending file attachments.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)

wow... you're related to her too?
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

    Yea - seems so. She comes in many incarnations.     You are no longer on speaking terms either? ;-)     www.snopes.com is their enemy - as most of them political and religious *amazing facts and warnings* have entry or will have soon enough.
    Anyway - forward this to everyone you know. If you break the chain God will kill a kitten.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.
<snip>

Craig, your sig line plus the overall theme of this thread reminds me of a time about four years ago when some malware was released into the wild which had the effect of bringing Exchange Server to its knees. Our corporate email system was Exchange Server, and our IT department decided there was some small chance that our network could become infected.
Should the worst happen, it could cause our email system to become unusable. An unusable email system was unthinkable. To prevent the occurrence of the unthinkable, the system administrators shut down exchange server until effective AV measures could be developed. Natually, that made our email system unusable. Who needs a virus? A good virus warning can have the same effect..
That was the same network administration from whom I requested assistance in setting up security procedures so that we could be in compliance with technology export restrictions. (We had some foreign national employees that could not read the reports that they themselves wrote without violating those export restrictions. I guess we were supposed to make them wear blindfolds while they wrote the reports.) The security administrator emailed me wanting to know why I thought the network security administration should be involved with restricting access to information on the company intranet .
I retired shortly thereafter.
Just today I received an email from a former subordinate who told me that now, three years after my initial request, procedures have been implemented to identify and restrict the access of Foreign National employees. IT must have finally finished the requisite rounds of meetings and searches for 3rd party software.
Intresting sidenote is that the only restriction on Canadian citizens was that we couldn't let them read anything about firearm technology. We simulated bird strikes on aircraft windshields by firing dead chickens at the test articles. We couldn't allow Canadians to have access to any reports that would give away our "Chicken Cannon" technology.
Gee, I love retirement!!!!
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

Geez, British Aerospace and Dowty both have their own perfectly satisfactory chicken cannons so why would the Canadians want to know about American chicken cannons. Now the turkey cannon on the other hand . . .

--
--John

Now, John, remember we are referring to governmental regulations. Don't go trying to bring logic and reason into the discussion.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

    Seen one @#$%^& government you seen them all - just some are worse.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.

Well, that would have helped us in rapid deployment of our "Prairie Chicken" cannon, so I can understand the concern...
djb
Tom Veatch wrote:

    Yea - I particularly liked that remark when I saw it. I changed the wording from who said it - so I don't attribute it. I thought it well stated a thing that I have often found absurd about some folks who would save a thing for emergency or some such. There would never ever be emergency enough to use the saved thing though.
    I recall something about that shooting chickens or geese at something. Some animal rights folks were going ballistic, as some of them folks is wont to do. Maybe animals have right to not have their corpses desecrated? - I dunno.     I am certainly one to oppose causing some critter to suffer and figure that women could as well experiment with their cosmetics on their own faces rather than to burn some critters eyes out to see how much it takes to do harm - or whatever that is about.     Ha! - Seen where some of them animal rights folk spray paint some rich b**** fur coat. - What does that accomplish but the rich b**** goes and buys a new fur coat?          Oh well, - absurd stuff - gotta love it.
    ?? - Maybe I ought to unsubscribe from this group. I don't think I got a lot to offer that would be on topic.     LOL - but I could have told some person to sharpen his plane as well as anyone else suggested. But maybe there is wood that it is particular difficult to plane end grain - ?? - balsa? Never tried to plane end of balsa. But now I wonder where my planes might be. - Got some neat ones that are older than me. ;-)     Whatever - have a nice day. ;-)
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.
<snip>

Thinking back over my posting history, most of my ramblings probably don't have much to do with shaping wood. A big reason for that is that most on-topic posts have several replys by the time I see them. And most of those that don't already have a reply are about something that I either know nothing about or is a question for which I have no answer. And, since I see little reason to post "me too" replys in the one case, or "Gee, I don't know. Maybe somebody else will give you an answer." in the other case, I remain silent in that thread.
What gets me is the ambivalence about OT posts. Some folks seem to feel, or speak as if they feel, this environment is essentially a formal meeting of a chartered organization with by-laws, an agenda, rules of order, etc. and off-agenda business is frowned-on, to say the least.
However, it seems to me that this group is more like a bunch of people with a common interest getting together at the local diner for a cup of coffee. How many times have you had an informal cup of coffee with a group of friends and been able, or even wanted, to keep the conversation to a single topic, no matter how loosely that topic is defined.
The conversation ebbs and flows, backs and veers, gee's and haw's in whatever direction fancy takes it. Others pick it up and redirect it with a little different spin. It's just like the conversation around the table at the diner. How many of the coffee drinkers would order a second cup and continue to hang out if they had to restrain their conversation strictly to the common interest that brought them together. Does that group of truckers over there talk about nothing but matters of interstate commerce? I'm sure a lot of their conversation does involve road conditions, traffic, law enforcement, and other matters directly bearing on the business at hand. That, after all, is what brought them together. But, I'll bet that's not the only subject discussed.
And I think that is a healthy sign - both for the newsgroup, and for the coffee klatch at the local diner.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA