OT: Waay OT: Toenails

Page 1 of 2
I cut my toenails this morning and commented to my wife that I didn't understand why they grew faster on one foot than the other. She replied that hers did as well. A little discussion established that mine grew faster on my right foot and hers on her left foot - the opposite of each of our predominant hands. IOW, left handed = right foot, right handed left foot.
So have we discovered a general principle? Have others noted the same inverse relationship? Inquiring minds want to know :-).
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 17:00:23 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

You should apply for a Fed Govt grant to research left- and right-toenailedness. Probably need to hire people to do the dirty work (measuring toenails on smelly feet). That should provide income for several starving college students. If you include categories by age, you could milk this for years as the subjects get older. Be sure to include chiuldren of all ages so yoiur children can carry on the research over time.
See how easy it is to get money from the Fed Govt? Aren't you glad someone is watching your tax dollars so carefully?
On 8/1/2015 12:00 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Y'all need to find a hobby.
On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 12:13:45 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I don't know about nail growth, per se, but....
OT related info: Specific abnormal nail growth is directly related to the efficiency one's o xygen uptake by one's lungs. Poor sleeping, causation of snoring, smoking , and other similar breathing/health related issues contribute to the cause s of poor breathing, poor oxygen uptake. Look closely at COPD patients, t heir nails curl, claw-like, as well as their fingers and toes will develope a curling posture. Many folks with long term heart conditions have/develo pe similar "curling" effects. Observation of curling of nails and digits are a diagnostic tool, by physicians, for the onset of heart and COPD probl ems.
Including, with the detection of curling of digits/nails, the nail surface and skin tend to develope a high glossy appearance, more so than normal ski n tone. Often, it's the glossy skin that is first noticed, leading the phy sician to look more closely at/for the other features/conditions, for furth er evaluating a patient. *A patient's initial complaint may not have been about their heart or their breathing problems, but some other "thing" that 's bothering them. That other "thing" may well be a side effect of the ma in, hidden, issue, hence the further eval, beyond the shiny skin (suspect), etc.
Some, not all, long term asthma patients develope these curling conditions, also.
I'm not aware of these conditions primarily or predominantly on one side or the other. Maybe a govt study IS needed, after all!

LOL. Govt study hobby!?
Sonny

A government study to study government studies? Sounds like a career!

OK, so I guess I'm going to die...

You laugh, but the government does do this. I was reading of one recently, which studied the annual reports mandated by Congress (federal agencies are required to produce 4000-odd annual reports, most of which no-one reads). That study led to the elimination of 40 reports, altho during the study period Congress passed legislation adding 70 new ones(*).
John
(* this part doesn't seem credible - it's hard to beleive the current Congress did _anything_, let alone authorize as many as 70 reports).
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

So imagine how many a Congress that is going along at its _usual_ rate authorizes.
Hmm--that's another provision that should be in the Constitution--all paper consumed or processed by the government _must_ be unloaded from the truck by members of congress, by hand, without any powered equipment, and without the use of any delegates, aides, or other proxies.
On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 10:14:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"

I think it would be far more productive if each were required to actually *read* what they've authorized.
says...

I agree with that one as well. However you're going to get a big argumennt about how reading legislation is too important to be left to the legislators.
On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 12:31:58 -0400, "J. Clarke"

OK, but does that mean that they shouldn't read it?
says...

Some people seem to think so. I once suggested an amendment requiring that any legislator read any piece of legislation, aloud before witnesses, before being allowed to vote on it. It was like I'd suggested a ban on apple pie or something.
One part of the viewpoint was that it would "slow the pace of legislation". Since I am one who cannot understand why we need 500 new laws every year, or even 50, I do not find that argument compelling, but others, who seem to think that if we are not getting 500 new laws a year we are failing as a society, argue it vehemently.
On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 22:35:25 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Probably because they've never read anything aloud.

...and that's a bad thing?

There's nothing wrong with gridlock. If it's so damned important, both sides will get it done. If not, it wasn't so important and can wait until it is. That was the whole point of our system.
says...

Bingo. But tell it to the damned news commentators and the like.
On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 16:34:21 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
Lines 91-94: . . .

Line 95:

This is a general comment to all to kept building this message. Please highlight the part you're replying to and *then* reply. It's really *not* that difficult.
Yes, I know someone will accuse me of being a "net nanny". Well, I wouldn't be if posters would just be considerate.

There is no means on USENET by which one can "highlight" anything. This is a text-only medium.
In any case you seem to have figured it out without any difficulty.
On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 20:28:02 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

I just pushed the left button on my mouse and, holding it down, passed it over the above sentence. That "selected" it and "highlighted" it. When I clicked on reply all that got transferred to the reply window was the highlighted text and the when and whom line.
If you mean I didn't physically run a highlighter pen over the screen then you're correct :-).
I'm using the Pan newsreader under Linux. Under Windows I would use Free Agent.

Look, if you want people to trim their posts, ask them to trim their posts. Going on about "highlighting" is an irrelevancy.
On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 20:46:34 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Then it's a shame you brought it up!

You're the one who was going on about how I should "highlight" something. Are you having a senior moment or just being a pain?
On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 17:55:43 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Compltetly back on topic sort of..... but it is OT still.