OT visa MC refused in Holland no chip

Page 1 of 2
This is definitely Off Topic
My wife had to go to Holland for a week because of family illness. While there her credit cards were refused, because of an apparently new policy that American credit cards without a "chip" are being refused. Chase Visa Freedom doesn't have them, nor does Amazon Visa. Apparently a Visa Btrish Aorways card may have a chip. Citibank was nice and is sending me new MC cards with a chip.
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe (certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be prepared for hassles.
--
Best regards
Han

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in the UK.
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On 2/15/2012 8:41 AM, Stuart wrote:

What effect has the practice had on credit card theft and online scams?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

No idea but we're stuck with it
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On 2/15/2012 11:47 AM, Stuart wrote:

Reminds me of a lawyer who once worked for me. When asked if he would take a case involving suing a bank, his response was basically that in law school the answer to every question that had the word "bank" in it was automatically: "the bank wins".
Banks do what they can get away with, and we have to put up with it.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote in message wrote:

Reminds me of a lawyer who once worked for me. When asked if he would take a case involving suing a bank, his response was basically that in law school the answer to every question that had the word "bank" in it was automatically: "the bank wins".
Banks do what they can get away with, and we have to put up with it.
Ah, yes, the golden rule: they have the gold, they make the rule.
Dave in Houston
Swingman wrote:

It's cut down the 'scams' at the shop (stores) checkouts by quite a bit, but internet shopping and other 'card holder not present' (e.g. telephone orders) [1] seemed to be showing an increase in fraudulent use a while back.
[1] Where Chip and Pin is not used and a greater reliance is put on the three digit 'security number' on the back of the card.
On 2/15/2012 1:20 PM, Ormolu wrote:

That has become standard operation over here in the New World...
On 2/15/2012 8:41 AM, Stuart wrote:

That seems very strange as much US tourist/business traffic as there is that they aren't making foreign payments into the country as painless as possible???? There surely must be a mechanism (altho it's been >10 yr since last traveled there).

It may have changed in the past few months, but when I was in Italy and Ireland in October, my cards worked just fine. I'm told though, that some places just don't want to use the US versions and refuse them, even though they can take them with a bit of effort.
I was also told by Citi Bank that they are not offering chip & pin cards anyway, in the US.

Thanks, Ed!! She only tried the cards once, and maybe it was a balky girl at the window, who knows. I'll let you know whether the CitiBank MC I'm going to get is Chip and PIN or sign.
I still like the idea of a prepaid card to take s to Europe, even if it is only a maximum of $1500 per card.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/16/2012 5:43 AM, Han wrote:

Mayhaps it's a function of how off the tourist/business traffic path one is. I'd think the places that are catering to those would have very difficult time in a blanket refusal; there's just too much business a-going to not. Then again, if their admin is as little in tune w/ business as is our current, one can imagine rules of much negative consequence being imposed w/o consideration for same...

I blame the whole thing my wife encountered recently on the nitwittiness of one window clerk (female) at the railroad ticket counter in Schiphol Airport. Or her bad time of month or whatever. My wife had enough cash, and didn't try her cards somewhere else. In the end no harm was done, but for some reason it was just about the first thing (well ...) she told me after coming home. She went alone to Holland this time because her sister in law was rather sick and I had to do grandpa duty while she was away. In the past we had gone together, or I went alone.
In the past I've almost always used the chip and pin card from my Dutch bank when in Europe, because of the lack of penalty in the form of exchange fees and bad exchange rates; in contrast to what happens with a US credit card. I well remember the extra charges when renting a car in Pisa (Italy has special laws that require you to buy extra insurance).
In the future we'll either together or separately use one or another chip and pin card, you can bet on that.
--
Best regards
Han

It may not have been her fault at all. My Mastercard which was recently upgraded with all the chip and pin options, was refused twice by the same grocery store. When I called Mastercard to inquire, they said is was probably because that terminal wasn't using the latest software.
On 2/16/2012 3:16 PM, Han wrote: ...

It's been quite a spell; it might (probably is?) worse now what w/ the plethora of additional fees and charges, etc., they've added--seemingly something new almost daily.
Back then, my small-business AmEx was equivalent enough to what I could do direct on exchange I didn't feel at all put out. Combined w/ easy to use anywhere in UK/France/Germany, it was about all I carried except for an emergency cash fund 'just in case'. I'd surely do some checking today before just tried that, for sure, though (altho since retired and have closed that account anyway).

I am originally Dutch, and got an account through my family. I've kept it despite the monthly fees just to make things easier for the few things we buy over there, and for vacations. With the internet, banking gets almost easy worldwide.
--
Best regards
Han

The same "Chip & PIN" as this?
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1599311/Millions-at-risk-from-chip-and-Pin.html http://www.themultichannelretailer.com/news/5288/researchers_warn_of_chip-and-pin_security_risk / http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/02/chip-and-pin-system-flawed---new-card-fraud-risk-203644 /

Larry W wrote:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1599311/Millions-at-risk-from-chip-and-Pin.html
http://www.themultichannelretailer.com/news/5288/researchers_warn_of_chip-and-pin_security_risk /
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/02/chip-and-pin-system-flawed---new-card-fraud-risk-203644 /
Nothng is 100% secure in this world no matter what system of transaction protection you use - there will always be someone who will find a way round the system.
Me, I'm just waiting for the creation of the 'superbug' that will circumvent all the IT protections that banks use thus crippling the world banking system - now that really will f**ck the Chip and Pin system up when (not if) that happens.

No, they have to make provision for signature only cards too - my grandparents c an't be bothered remembering more numbers, so they still have signature cards.
On 2/15/12 8:56 AM, Han wrote:

My chipped card only runs on 110V, will it work over there? :-)
--
Froz...