OT: VIRUS INFILTRATION ALERT!

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:38:58 GMT, EvoDawg

heck, you can open them in notepad on a windows box and not worry. what you can't do is execute them.

I've been virus free for over twenty years and I only use Windows. Windows XP has never crashed or caused a problem. Common sense is my first line of defense. Why would I open an email from someone I don't know? There are ways to open virus files in Windows also without being infected.
Neal
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:18:34 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

good advice.

woah up there nahmie. according to symantec: Systems Not Affected:     DOS, Linux, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Windows 3.x

Y'right! The message I copied/pasted from her was one she got through NY State, as she works in county Medicaid office, so they are probably 99.99% M$. She says the last nasty virus that got loose took over a month before the state/counties finally got it completely cleaned out of their systems, and some counties were without computer services(through state links) for over a week.
One of our other girls is personal secretary for county Supreme Court judge, and when 9/11 happened, NYS computer links were down for some time until they could be re-routed. Apparently the main distribution hub/servers for the state were in the sub-basements of WTC.
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

they run windows on their servers? that's just plain stupid.

Frankly, I don't get how companies still get infected with this stuff. I'm a systems engineer and our firewall already blocks all of those file extensions plus about two dozen others. (Actually, we let in .zip files, and I sent another friendly reminder to the staff today that if they open a zip, they'd better be damn sure they know what it is) It's not exactly rocket science. I can see it happening to less-informed home users, but for any company bigger than 50 people, I just don't know. It would be great to get a list of the nearby companies that got infected, because they apparently need computer help.
todd
Todd, See my reply to Bridger
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:29:32 -0600, todd wrote:

Well, I can tell you about one large soft-drink company based in Atlanta that was pretty much hosed by the BLASTER virus. 20000 desktops, all of which were running 2k and most got infected. Its not always the mom and pop type establishments or the AOL users (no offense to any AOL users out there. It happens all the time.
We stopped over 5000 of those e-mails from getting into our small (relatively speaking) company today alone. We also block most payload-type attachments, as well as jpg, gif, bmp, mp* files...you'd be surprised what people send each other at work. I'm a fairly twisted individual, but some of the stuff I've seen come in would drive a buzzard off the shit wagon.
Rob
snipped-for-privacy@amateurtermite.com says...

i.e. you lock things down and also as a side benefit cripple the ability of people to collaborate and accomplish their tasks in an efficient manner as well.
Why would anyone send another person an mp* file unless it was "extracurricular"?, you ask. Well, let's see, how about sending out product demos, the results of test events, and other such either morale or marketing tools? As far as images, how about sending or receiving product pictures, inputs to presentations or other such materials.
yeah, blocking everything stops a few people from sending around trash, but then, at my company if you do that they walk your butt out the door -- and we can actually accomplish our jobs using IT assets instead of being hindered by them. /rant off

I do see your point and agree with a lot of what you are saying. However, not every environment is alike. Also unfortunate is the fact that sometimes the "powers that be" decide that it is much easier from an administrative standpoint to take privledges away from everyone instead of treating the underlying problem. As I have to explain to people on almost a daily basis, as a member of the IS staff, I only enforce the policies that have been handed down from above.
Rob