OT: VIRUS INFILTRATION ALERT!

Page 1 of 2
To All, This came from my daughter, I checked it out www.symantec.com & it is real! If you go to symantec & click on the virus name, it will give you complete information on effects, damage, etc., AND how to remove it. I have already received a message from an ISP this morning that they removed a .scr file from a message I supposedly sent to someone I never heard of. Looks like we have another worm getting into address books and propagating itself.
Subject: VIRUS INFILTRATION ALERT!! ALL USERS: Please DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS that have the following extensions (.PIF., .ZIP, .CMD, .BAT, .SCR) from any users, even ones that you recognize.
There is a FAST-SPREADING VIRUS (W32.Novarg.A) that is affecting all systems on the Internet. The anti-virus software company is working to provide a fix. If you open any of the attachments, it will compromise your system and allow remote access to files.
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

Note: As usual Mac users are not affected. :) Something to be said for being 3% of the computer market.
Allen Catonsville, MD
isnt hurting Linux either, so I dont care. :)

js wrote:

Me too!!!! Have you seen those IBM comercials? Interesting web site on their use of linux in the future and now. http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/ I'm wondering when Microsoft clients are going to stop putting up with this.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

The joys of operating non-homogenized computing environments :) I don't think all Linux (or Mac) is the answer to the enterprise computing solution, but applied in the right places it can sure reduce a lot of vunerabilities and increase functionality. Ya' got to wonder what the cost to business will be from this latest MS Virus and if it'll open some eyes to the possibilites.
My old G4 here keeps humming along, four years old and able to keep up with the latest apps and services in an otherwise all MS enviroment without a problem running OS 10.3. My dell laptop sits on the other desk as a space heater.
Allen Catonsville, MD
Allen Epps wrote:

Why not think about installing linux on it. You're already use to a Unix system by using a Mac. Just a suggestion. I love the command line and scripting.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I don't have any real need to do so but I have fooled around in the X11 window a bit since that come installed. There's quite a few people in my company that are resisting the MS assimilation and dual booting the Mac with Linux on one side an OSX on the other. It's awful handy to have a command line for network troublshooting. I saw a couple months ago that in the three years since OSX has come out it has become the largest UNIX deployed platform. Given the numbers of of Sparcs here at work that's saying something (not to mention a few Crays' ;)
Allen Catonsville, MD
Allen Epps wrote:

I thought most supercomputers ran specalized OS's, not UNIX. Zat so?
-- Mark

some of the large clusters are surprisingly familar
Allen
Allen Epps wrote:

The cluster at Virginia Tech, billed as being the world's fasteset university supercomputer, is running stock OS-X on stock Mac G5s.

Yep, and looks like they're working with Apple to build another using X-Serves with more capacity but considerably smaller footprint.
Allen Catonsville, MD

In OS X we have the full command line (with choice of shell, for those bash fans), all the *nix scripting languages, and AppleScript to tie it all together.
Who needs Linux?
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Well I don't need rotten Apples and Windblows that's for sure!!!
I don't need anything but food, water and shelter. I want Linux
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Before you gloat, when was the last time you heard of a TRS-80 virus??? The very first virus I ever saw was on a Mac, a fairly benign one that would cause a moose to randomly walk across your screen.

beloved G4 to a TRS-80 how could you! :( I learned basic on the trash 80 when a "tape drive" was a cassette recorder. Of course I also programmed on cards only proving I'm getting old.
For the on-topic part of this post cut out and glues up the legs for the new nightstands tonight out of some nice cherry I picked up this last weekend. finally a chance to do something other than house repairs. Tomorrow night mortises... stay tuned a may finally have something worthy of a posted picture when done.
Allen Catonsville, MD
if you start getting a bunch of messages with the same type of attachment, don't you think it indicates a virus without needing to check?:-P and even more to be said for using an old mac

Nothing new there... that's just standard safety practice. Don't open any attachment that you weren't expecting.
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:18:34 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

My NAV prog has caught half a dozen of those already today. I paid Symantec their $20 yesterday for the new year update to the anti-virus definition subscription. JIT, oui?
------------------------------------------------------ I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2000...from California. ---------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

You mean their extorsion fee don't you. I wonder how much of that $20.00 Microsoft gets? In order for the NAV program to work you have to have Internet Explorer installed on your computer. Have you ever wondered why?
Virus free for over 2 years and counting! What's even funnier is I can open all these virus in Emacs a file editor for Linux and read them and not even worry.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"