OT - Views on Death (friend died today)

Page 2 of 4

I suggest that the expedient thing to do is to put Bill Rogers in a killfile, though that doesn;t deal with the follow-ups, like this one.
--

FF

Bill Rogers wrote:

So what do you want to know about woodworking? Change the subject line and ask away. Hell, if I know the answer I may even make an illustration or diagram to help you understand. I'm not being sarcastic, I try hard to say what I mean and mean what I say - no interpretation necessary. So ask away.
Want to make handcut dovetails (the Frank Klausz way)? http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/DovetailDrawer0.html
Fine line inlaying? http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Inlaying1.html
How about graduated drawers? (all one line) http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Design/GraduatedDrawers/GraduatedDrawers1.html
Want to make a loose tenon mortise jig to use with your router and edge guide? http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/LooseTenonJig/LooseTenonJig1.html
If you're one who learns from the mistakes of others http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/OOPS/OOPS1.html
Ask away. You'll be amazed at what folks in this community of woodworkers know - and are willing to share - FOR FREE!
charlie b
Bill, Point well taken. Woodworkingis great medicine for ill people and canacer victims
to borrow from an old saying, it's better to be thought an insensitive a$$hole then open one's mouth and prove it.
You shoulda taken note of the "OT" and shuddup, dearie.

Now, now Renata, where's your nurturing, compassionate nature? I DAGS here - -
http://www.google.com/groups?q=group:rec.woodworking+author:Bill+author:Rogers&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start &sa=N&filter=0
Bill has been "posting" to the wreck since May 7, 2004, and has participated in some OT threads. Now perhaps this particular one caused him upset because it hits close to home, but it may also be he's just having an attack of PMS(pi**in', moanin', & screamin'). Once again I'm going to quote part of Davey Eisan's mini-faq for Bill's edification;
This group is a collection of people with a common interest in woodworking (ww'ing), and as such the topics discussed sometimes wander away from strictly ww'ing. Think of this NG as if you were having a number of friends over to your shop to discuss ww'ing, 90% of the discussion will revolve around ww'ing, but you will also discuss other things going on in your life, like your shop dog dying, gloating about the vintage minty fresh Unisaur you just got for $100, just got a new job, etc. That is what we do in this NG.
Bill, this is who we are and what we are. Look @ the subject line & move on if you don't like OT. That's what the rest of us do. We like ww'ing and talk about it, but we also care about each other, like a big "extended family". If you can't understand this and live with it, or just want to hang around and "stir the bucket" then do as Dave Balderstone suggested, and go back where you're happy.
OBWW - got the riser kit on my G0555, haven't cut anything yet, as I've been busy with other things, and need to call Griz tech support. The 105" blade is very tight to try and get it on the wheels, so I'm thinking there's something in the tension adjustment I don't understand.
--
Nahmie
Before you call tech support, check the coplanar and take a good look at the two dowel pins and holes. One of the dowel hole maybe oversize and your riser block could rotate and thereby causing your lower wheel to be out of alignment. It's almost impossible to align both wheels as I experienced.

That's not the problem. Co-planar appears OK, and the blade is tracking OK. The problem was that with the tension released I still had a hard time getting the blade ON the wheels, almost like it needs a 106" or 107" blade. Feels like the top wheel is bottomed out in the frame with the tension released, but I'm gonna see if tech support can tell me something I missed.
Thanks anyway. My dowel holes were so tight I had to hammer the block on the bottom(wood block & hammer), then use the bolt to pull the top down & seat it on them, while persuading it with a rubber mallet.
--
Nahmie
Although I have no experience with Grizzly I've heard mostly good things about them.

E-mailed Griz tech support, explained problem, and asked if maybe I had a "short" blade, etc. Their answer was:
Dear Mr. Crow,
Thank you for your email dated July 21, 2004.
I would like to apologize for the circumstances surrounding your saw.
Have you checked the length of the blade? Have you tried another blade to see if you are having the same trouble with that blade?
You may have received a short blade. Let me know what you find. I have attached a sheet that should have come with the riser block for tensioning your blades.
I do apologize for the inconvenience.
Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance. You are a valued customer and look forward to serving your woodworking and metalworking needs in the future.
Sincerely,
Terry
Technical Service
Grizzly Industrial, Inc.
The attachment was a PDF file that I did not find in my riser block kit, which did somewhat address the issue of tension release adjustment. I haven't had time to dig into it as yet, but will soon, and post findings.
--
Nahmie

The word's "Asshole", and the old saying is about a "fool". Some come here to look for intelligent conversation about woodworking, and don't want to have to need to filter out rubbish about anything and everything else because you think they should.
Take your OT brainless babbling somewhere else, fool, and make room for other possible contributors with more to offer. Or, get the title of this newsgroup changed to suit your own agenda. Then real woodworkers can start another, and leave you to it. The problem is you'd likely show your wit there as well.
You talk about "insensitive" as if you know something about cancer. I've been dealing with it for over 5 years, and have already lost friends and relatives. You know shit about it until you have it. You're the insensitive asshole here. If the OP has real problems dealing with it, he should visit his relatives, doctor or priest, not whine here.
There's another old saying about arguing with a fool, so I'm done.
Bill.

So, what do you think the name should be changed to?

Well at least there's some good news in all this. Bye, then.

You know Bill, most everyone here on the wRECk is pretty polite, and Renata wrote a$$hole on purpose, just like we write s**t, or other things to get the meaning across without being foulmouthed. Renata also knows she was paraphrasing another saying, just as you, me, and probably 90% of the other people on the wRECk do.

Good Luck! Don't tell me you're going to start up the old, endless, "split the wRECk" argument again!

Bill, you better step back and take another look! (1) YOU were the only one who brought cancer into the conversation. (2) No one claimed to know any thing about it, and no one was being insensitive to your problem with cancer. I for one, and I'm sure many others, wish you well and the best of luck with it. Many of us have lost friends & relatives to it, and no, we don't have it, but we've seen it pretty up close & personal, so we're not insensitive about it. (3) The wRECk has lost several old & valued members over the years, men who suffered & succumbed to cancer, and were mourned by those who knew them, even if we only knew them through the wRECk. (4) The OP was NOT whining! He wrote a moving tribute to a good friend & neighbor, only lamenting that he died too young, of a HEART ATTACK! (5) YOU decided you had to come in here and try to play "net-cop". Perhaps you've gotten the idea now that this particular thread was not the best one to start raising cain about OT.
Now, if anyone thinks I'M way off base here, fire away, I've got the Nomex on. I don't often get this "loud", but I just feel Bill chose the wrong time & place to start all the shootin' & shoutin'.
--
Nahmie
I give up! IMHO - - Bill Rogers = TROLL, so I'm gonna stop feeding him.

I want to steal from PDQ Bach:
Here lies a man of sundry flaws And numerous sins upon his head. We've buried him today because, As near as we can tell, he's dead.
But then I want a wake, not a funeral.
says...

And even if you DO know, can you understand the 90 column ones with round holes?(G,D & R)
--
Nahmie
Norman D. Crow wrote:

says...

For Charlie B - - a beautiful tribute to the passing of a friend.
Jo4hn, I should just leave you in suspense, but - - - -
They were Remington Rands answer to IBM. A punch card that actually had 45 columns with round holes, but there were 90 characters, as the card was split horizontally, col. 1-45 across the top and col. 46-90 across the bottom.
When I started with NCR Corp. in 1960, they had a high speed card reader that could feed/read 2000 cards/min., and IIRC, there were 2 in the country that had modified logic to handle the 90 col. cards.
--
Nahmie
Then I'm sure you remember the 96 column thing that IBM tried on the older S/3 ???