OT - Views on Death (friend died today)

Page 1 of 4
My neighbor, a good son, a good brother, a good husband, a great dad to four small kids and a wonderful friend and neighbor died of a heart attack this morning, at a basketball camp - at the age of 36.
Now some would see his death as a tragedy, struck down in his prime, taken from his loved one and friends far too soon. Some would rant and curse an unfair god who took a good person from us, rather than to take one who is evil. Some will only see the loss - and the world did lose a good person - for sure. Some will see the difficulties his family will go through without the son, the brother, the husband, the father, and that is certainly true.
But there's another way to see this event. Rather than see the loss of this man, appreciate having the opportunity to be his parent, his brother or sister, his wife, his child, his friend, his neighbor. There are far too many people in the world who have never encountered a good person - a truly nice guy - kids who never had a loving, caring "dad", with all that term truly means. Few have a spouse like this and many parents and siblings can't imagine a person like this. Every neighborhood should, but more often than not, don't have a John.
I believe that each of us is put here to do something - to get it right. Some don't get it done in one 75 year lifetime and perhaps have to come back and try again. And I believe that some get their job done early on and stick around to, by their actions and approach to life, set an example of howto be a good human being.
I'm greatful for having the opportunity to have this man touch my life and for all the times he showed me, by his actions, how much fun it is to be a "dad" and try a little harder to be a better guy and fill in some of what his kids may miss out on otherwise. The hole he's left in the world will be filled in by many small helping hands, an extra smile or a hug when one's needed, a tickle or a game of catch or a shop project.
If you gotta go, going while doing something you love ain't a bad way to go.
But I miss him.
Just something to think about.
charlie b
A bad thing shared is half as bad. A good thing shared is twice as good.
"charlie b" wrote in message

Thanks for sharing that beautiful tribute, Charlie ... I've no doubt you've proved the above to be true words of wisdom. If you don't mind I am going to keep a copy for the next time a personal "hole ... is left in the world".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Indeed.
Given that we will all die, I choose to view it much more like your "another way", Charlie.
djb
If you don't mind input from an old Heathen, the way I view the death of anyone is: "What is remembered, lives!" As long as even one person has even one memory of them, then they are not truly gone.
charlie b wrote:

--
If the gods notice you, it doesn't matter who overlooks you.

We all die. That's life. There are just more appropriate places to discuss it. I'm dealing with cancer. Big deal. I'm here to hear and learn about woodworking techniques, presuming anyone in these multiple off-topic ramblings know any.
Bill.

So put the OT in the subject line in your killfile and get on with it, Bill. If your newsreader doesn't support that, download a real one.

That's a weak answer. You're in a movie theater and people behind you are talking loudly to each other. In fact, a whole lot of people are doing the same thing. ...so plug your ears.
Bill.

No, your radio is on. Change the channel.
I hope your fight with cancer goes well.

Do you realize that OT in a header specifically means it's off-topic? That is done so uptight people can ignore it if they want to. To take your crappy analogy to at least some degree of relevance, it'd be more like you being at a party, seeing a bunch of people talking off in the corner, hearing what they're talking about, and saying "Hey, this is a football party, you can't talk about woodworking here."
While you're setting up killfiles, you might want to put me in it right away, as I can't see us having much in common.

Rubbish. It's just a feeble excuse for no-brainers to publish it and think it's still OK. Filling in a woodworking conference with tons of other material is simply a childish, selfish whim. This newsgroup is plugged to the teeth with off-topic subjects by people who have nothing to say about woodworking since they can't tell pine from oak. You have to sift through all the crap to find anything worth reading, and the more off-topic subjects there are the more useless it is to try. Sure it's OK to post that crap. You have the same rights as anyone. Just find the brains, maturity, and common decency to post it somewhere else.
I'm in other newsgroups that have *no* off-topic content; just people sharing knowledge back and forth. You wouldn't believe the difference if I explained it.
Bill.
Right. Perhaps when your turn comes along we can all line up and put our boots up your backside too. Go get the recipe for JOAT's dried frog pills and make you a few of them. Either that or go get your medication refilled and watch a few reruns of Fred Rogers Neighborhood and pay attention this time....

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:19:16 -0400, "Mark Hopkins"

Well, I was right about the no-brainer.
Bill.
Well good then. I am glad you are taking the advice and getting your prescriptions refilled and taking some time to review Mr. Rogers Neighborhood programs again. I know you'll learn something from them as Fred has a way of teaching the lessons so that even the very young ones can understand him.
Good for you Bill!

No, it's been the Usenet standard for well over a decade. Perhaps you weren't around when it was hashed out originally, that's too bad. Maybe you could have brought fresh insite to the discussion.

Assumptions like this are nearly always wrong.

Only if you're too ignorant and/or lazy to set up a filter. If AOL doesn't give you the ability to filter and/or killfile by sender, or by keyword, or by subject, or by number of groups a message is crossposted to, or any other number of things, then your complaint should be against the crappy newsreader you're using, rather than the people following a convention which was agreed upon LONG before you showed up.

We are. We're posting it in a thread with OT in the subject line. Your newsreader does let you at least see the subject lines, doesn't it? I know, it's more fun to complain than to actually take the effort of looking at the subject, is that it?

I've been on usenet since 1992, Bill, so your condescending tone doesn't impress me. In any group of friends, you'll have side-discussions, arguments, vaguely relevant conversations, and just plain silliness from time to time. This forum is no different than a bunch of people who work together - not all the talk will be all work, all the time.
It is what it is, Bill. It's not going to change because someone complains about something that they could control for themselves if they'd expend a minimum of effort to do so.

I've been there much longer than that [bulletin boards preceded the widespread interest in the internet, which was originated by physicists to share their information around the world], and working with computers since the 60s, so it's you trying to be condescending. I also know that (i) a Hell of a lot more people would be here contributing if it wasn't clogged with such crap, and (ii) a lot of decent newsgroups have gone belly up because their entire focus changed by either SPAM or OT discussions.
I have no intention of trying to impress you. The argument about getting a filter [I know how and much more] is like you wanting to smoke at a party and telling the non-smokers to wear a mask, or leave if they don't like it. It's the same stupid selfish attitude. For those who can't read, this is a "woodworking" forum. You said you know about the subject. Putting OT in the subject line doesn't make it a legitimate contribution to this forum for discussion about woodworking. It just says, "Screw you, I can say anything I want anytime because I'm in control." As I said, it's just a childish excuse to fill space and to Hell with anyone else, a freaky control mechanism.
So, what do you have to say about woodworking in general? Any neat techniques you'd like to share? Or are you really more interested in the other crap.
Bill.

Amazing, then, that with all that experience you never noticed this particular convention before.

Both of which are easy to filter out, Bill. Why do you complain about something that you refuse to help yourself with?

Bullshit, Bill. It's like you going into a clearly-marked smoking section and complaining that people are smoking there.

No, it's a way of saying "These are people I hang out with, and we're having a side discussion that you can come in and listen to if you want."

There's a freaky control mechanism being attempted here, Bill, but it's not by the people putting OT in their headers.

I quite honestly don't find much interest in sharing any insights with you, as you don't strike me as the kind of person whose company I enjoy.

But its not gonna change if someone doesn't COMPLAIN, either.
Bill made a very good point...you might at least take it to heart...instead of arguing with him.
Although he doesn't need to download any off-topic messages, its kinda difficult not to see the rest of the subject header. For you, its just another off-topic subject. But, to Bill, its much more meaningful.
He probably came here to get away from his problems...not to have somebody amplify his condition with a reminder.
Just my 2...
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Might as well complain that we drive on the right side of the road. Too little, too late, not gonna change. It's not like clearly-labeled OT posts on Usenet are even in the top million list of problems of modern society.

The solution is simple - subject lines with OT in them are that way because they're simple to filter out if one choses. He choses not to exercise that option so he can whine about it, I am chosing to point out that his snivelling about something he could so easily deal with effectively, is annoying.

I can't imagine why.

So he can filter by subject, or by senders, or both. Can't mention death because someone may have a disease? Are we not to say "old" in reference to tools because someone might be elderly? May we not say "neander" because someone might have a sloping forhead?

Always do.

Good for you, Bill. Why don't you go back to them?